Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Israel is Israel. Sorry, but I'm both a Jew and a Christian, and I can't let these things slide.

why do you think that the Jews who reject their King can still claim to be Israel?
how were traitors to the King treated in the Old Testament?
how do you understand the writings about the Gentiles being grafted in?
how do you understand the parable of the Wicked Tenants in Luke 20?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
why do you think that the Jews who reject their King can still claim to be Israel?
Romans 11:28,29 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God's gifts and calling are IRREVOCABLE.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟841,029.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The sanhedron has existed since Moses appointed the 70 elders. The Pope is hardly a random person, don't you think.
The Temple has been destroyed, the Jewish priesthood has ended. Sanhedrin can not exist today.

I think it's self serving arrogance, and yet another attack against Christianity.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The Temple has been destroyed, the Jewish priesthood has ended. Sanhedrin can not exist today.
Although the temple has in fact been destroyed, the levitical priesthood certainly has not ended. The Kohanim know exactly who they are; they observe the rules which govern them like avoiding graveyards and they give us the priestly blessing on Yom Kippur. Looking forward to the building of the third temple, the priests have been chosen, including the Kohen ha Gadol (High Priest), and even their vestments have been made. That's a long way from having ended. So yes, the Sanhedrin can and does exist today. It is the highest court for Orthodox Jews and Noahides.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The Sanhedrin has nothing to do with the priesthood except that priests could be part of it. Plenty of members weren't priests.
Oh I didn't see his confusion on that part. Thanks for catching it. Yes, the Sanhedrin is made up of rabbis, which are usually not priests. It's a completely seperate deal, rabbis are more like lawyers and judges and adjudicate the law, priests serve in the temple. Today because there is no temple, you do have Kohanim that become Rabbis, but they are the minority.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Nonetheless, God's holiness and righteousness would not allow for a false covenant either.
So when the various tribes broke the covenant they were punished, conquered, and dispersed.
and when the time was right they were allowed by God to come back to the Holy Land and reclaim it once more, against that day when Jesus would return.
Basically, when we Jews have been disobedient God has the option to send us into exile. But even in exile, the land is still ours. And God can and does send us back to the land whenever He sees fit.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
how can scripture be irrelevant?
If I ask if stealing is wrong, and you give me Genesis 1:1, you have given me an irrelevant scripture, because Genesis 1:1 does not speak to my question.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Gentile believers DO NOT REPLACE ISRAEL!
Of course not. Israel is made of of those Jews (who are the tree) and Gentiles (who were grafted onto the tree) who are in Christ, ie the Church. The non -Christian Jews are a vine that withered and was cut off the tree. They are not a part of Israel unless they accept Christ as the Messiah.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Pope has not only recognized the Palestinian State but it has officially opened diplomatic relations and recognizes it as a nation
well yes, that is what the Church does
we are called to preach the good news to all nations
so we try to have diplomatic with everyone so the Vatican can advocate for the rights of Christians on a political level
and you need open diplomatic relations to do that

we say that the State gets its right to govern from the consent of the governed
this is basic political theory
the people of Palestine have not given their consent to the Israeli government

Gentile believers DO NOT REPLACE ISRAEL!
God no longer sees me as a Gentile, he sees me as a member of the Body of Christ
for we are no longer Jew nor Greek but all are one in Jesus (Galatians 3:28)

and how does God see those who deny Jesus?
2 John 1:7
I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.

oh it seems that 2 John left out the "apple of my eye" part, he must have meant to have sandwiched that in somewhere between deceiver and antichrist

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Of course not. Israel is made of of those Jews (who are the tree) and Gentiles (who were grafted onto the tree) who are in Christ, ie the Church. The non -Christian Jews are a vine that withered and was cut off the tree. They are not a part of Israel unless they accept Christ as the Messiah.

The kingdom of God is the tree, the Jews were the natural branches (the converted-to-Christianity Jews still are) and the converted-to-Christianity Gentiles are the wild branches which were grafted into the tree (kingdom of God).

I think you are combining two different things: tree (kingdom of God) and vine (Christ). Tree as in olive tree. Vine as in grape plant. However, the unfruitful branches of the tree and the unfruitful branches of the grape plant are both cut off and burned.

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes. From 70 Ad until the present we have been in the age of the gentile's. I personally believe based upon world events etc, that we are at the very, very tail end and are witnesses to the end of the "fullness of the gentiles" I do not think it is a coincidence that Jews are in record numbers coming to Yeshua and recognizing him for who he is... the Messiah of Israel.

I agree that the Christians do not replace the Jews. After all, the first Christians were Jews and remained Jews by blood/genetics. To be a Jew today can be described in one of three different ways or as a combination of two or all three. A person can be a Jew genetically, and /or religiously, and/or politically.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The kingdom of God is the tree, the Jews were the natural branches (the converted-to-Christianity Jews still are) and the converted-to-Christianity Gentiles are the wild branches which were grafted into the tree (kingdom of God).

I think you are combining two different things: tree (kingdom of God) and vine (Christ). Tree as in olive tree. Vine as in grape plant. However, the unfruitful branches of the tree and the unfruitful branches of the grape plant are both cut off and burned.
Yes, thanks. I mixed up my scriptural analogies on that one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Sanhedrin has nothing to do with the priesthood except that priests could be part of it. Plenty of members weren't priests.

You stated that all the Jews today are descendants of the Pharisees. It is my understanding that according to Ezekiel, the priesthood for all Jews is now restricted to the descendants of the sons of the Levite Zadok who of course can be Pharisees. This seems to narrow the field for choosing a legitimate Jewish priesthood today.

Ezekiel 43:19
You shall give a young bull for a sin offering to the priests, the Levites, who are of the seed of Zadok, who approach Me to minister to Me,’ says the Lord God.

Ezekiel 44:15
“But the priests, the Levites, the sons of Zadok, who kept charge of My sanctuary when the children of Israel went astray from Me, they shall come near Me to minister to Me; and they shall stand before Me to offer to Me the fat and the blood,” says the Lord God.

Who today has the legitimate authority to appoint priests? Who today has the legitimate authority to appoint a Sanhedrin? It seems to me that some men simply appointed themselves to their own "new" Sanhedrin.

"The court’s rulings have the highest spiritual significance. The commandment to appoint judges is learned directly from the Bible (Exodus 18:13) and the present Sanhedrin is an effort to reestablish a tradition dating back to Moses."
http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/4...d-sanhedrin-jewish-world/#t3yQQBxmpvmQeUGV.99

Thanks. :)

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟136,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
the Church has replaced Israel

also, if you are not Catholic, please do not debate in here

I am Catholic, so I will put in my nickel's worth. (Due to inflation. two cents are not enough anymore.) :)

No, the Church has not replaced Israel.

First, only Israel was the chosen people of God. Now, in New Testament times all people who profess Christ regardless of nationality or genealogy are members of the chosen people of God.

We non-Jews simply join together with the original Jews who had professed Christ.
We non-Jews joined them!

1 Corinthians 12:13

For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:11
where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

There is now no distinction. We who profess Christ, whether Jew or non-Jew, are members of the people of God.

JEWS:
Romans 11:1
I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not!
For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

GENTILES:
1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2013
✟7,751.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am Catholic, so I will put in my nickel's worth. (Due to inflation. two cents are not enough anymore.) :)

No, the Church has not replaced Israel.

First, only Israel was the chosen people of God. Now, in New Testament times all people who profess Christ regardless of nationality or genealogy are members of the chosen people of God.

We non-Jews simply join together with the original Jews who had professed Christ.
We non-Jews joined them!

1 Corinthians 12:13

For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:11
where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

There is now no distinction. We who profess Christ, whether Jew or non-Jew, are members of the people of God.

JEWS:
Romans 11:1
I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not!
For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

GENTILES:
1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

AMEN! ;-)
You said it brother! END of discussion. Period. Full Stop.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
AMEN! ;-)
You said it brother! END of discussion. Period. Full Stop.

you need to read more of the Church Fathers to gain deeper understanding on this topic

the things of the Old Testament foreshadow the a greater fulfillment in the New Testament

the People of God have been given an even greater gift
through the Holy Spirit, His people can be united with Him like never before
through the Eucharist and Baptism, we join in to the Body of Christ
this is for all people who follow Him
Jew and Gentile
all of the People of God have this open to them

Your joking right?

You can't possibly think that sacrificing animals is what God wants.

JLB
the place would be an abattoir
millions of doves and lambs killed
a mockery of the perfect sacrifice we have through Jesus the spotless Lamb of God

Upvote 0