Sanctification vs. being Spirit-filled -- Are they the same thing?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The phrase "(to be) filled with the Spirit" is used in both the Old and New Testaments multiple times (see appendix at the bottom).

Paul uses this phrase in Ephesians 5:18:

18 And do not get drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your hearts to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to our God and Father; 21 and subject yourselves to one another in the fear of Christ. (Ephesians 5:18-21 NASB)​

However, Paul uses a similar wording in Ephesians 3:19:

14 For this reason I bend my knees before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner self, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:14-19 NASB)​

Question: What is the difference between "being filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18) and "being filled up to all the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:19)?

Some possibilities I see:
  • Both phrases refer to progressive sanctification (same meaning).
  • Both phrases refer to a concrete spiritual experience (same meaning).
  • Ephesians 5:18 refers to a concrete spiritual experience, whereas Ephesians 3:19 refers to progressive sanctification (different meanings).

Appendix 1 - "(to be) filled with the Spirit" in the Bible

• and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship, (Exodus 31:3 ESV)
  • and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship, (Exodus 35:31 ESV)
  • Now Joshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom because Moses had laid his hands on him. So the Israelites listened to him and did what the Lord had commanded Moses. (Deuteronomy 34:9 ESV)
  • But as for me, I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the Lord, and with justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression, to Israel his sin. (Micah 3:8 ESV)
  • for he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. (Luke 1:15 ESV)
  • When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. (Luke 1:41 ESV)
  • And his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied, saying, (Luke 1:67 ESV)
  • And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:4 ESV)
  • Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders, (Acts 4:8 ESV)
  • And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:31 ESV)
  • So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 9:17 ESV)
  • But Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him (Acts 13:9 ESV)
  • And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. (Acts 13:52 ESV)
  • And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, (Ephesians 5:18 ESV)

Appendix 2 - "full of the Spirit" in the Bible

• And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness (Luke 4:1 ESV)
  • Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. (Acts 6:3 ESV)
  • And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. (Acts 6:5 ESV)
  • But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. (Acts 7:55 ESV)
  • for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord. (Acts 11:24 ESV)

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Question: What is the difference between "being filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18) and "being filled up to all the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:19)?
Being filled with the Spirit is experienced by an
individual, such as Zacharias.
The fullness of God, or of Christ is a corporate experience,
as in the church at Ephesus. He goes on to say:

Ephesians 4:3 Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit
in the bond of peace.
Filled with the spirit can occur in an instant, such as the
example of Zacharias, or Peter in Acts 4 or Paul in Acts 13.
The fullness of God or of Christ is progressive, as a church
matures.

13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the
knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the
measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.
Also,
Ephesians 3:18
may be able to comprehend
with all the saints
what is the width and length
and depth and height...

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The phrase "(to be) filled with the Spirit" is used in both the Old and New Testaments multiple times (see appendix at the bottom).

Paul uses this phrase in Ephesians 5:18:

18 And do not get drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your hearts to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to our God and Father; 21 and subject yourselves to one another in the fear of Christ. (Ephesians 5:18-21 NASB)​

However, Paul uses a similar wording in Ephesians 3:19:

14 For this reason I bend my knees before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner self, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:14-19 NASB)​

Some possibilities I see:
  • Both phrases refer to progressive sanctification (same meaning).
  • Both phrases refer to a concrete spiritual experience (same meaning).
  • Ephesians 5:18 refers to a concrete spiritual experience, whereas Ephesians 3:19 refers to progressive sanctification (different meanings).

Appendix 1 - "(to be) filled with the Spirit" in the Bible

• and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship, (Exodus 31:3 ESV)
  • and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship, (Exodus 35:31 ESV)
  • Now Joshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom because Moses had laid his hands on him. So the Israelites listened to him and did what the Lord had commanded Moses. (Deuteronomy 34:9 ESV)
  • But as for me, I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the Lord, and with justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression, to Israel his sin. (Micah 3:8 ESV)
  • for he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. (Luke 1:15 ESV)
  • When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. (Luke 1:41 ESV)
  • And his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied, saying, (Luke 1:67 ESV)
  • And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:4 ESV)
  • Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders, (Acts 4:8 ESV)
  • And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:31 ESV)
  • So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 9:17 ESV)
  • But Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him (Acts 13:9 ESV)
  • And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. (Acts 13:52 ESV)
  • And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, (Ephesians 5:18 ESV)

Appendix 2 - "full of the Spirit" in the Bible

• And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness (Luke 4:1 ESV)
  • Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. (Acts 6:3 ESV)
  • And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. (Acts 6:5 ESV)
  • But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. (Acts 7:55 ESV)
  • for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord. (Acts 11:24 ESV)
The Holy Spirit sanctifies, conforming us to the image of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. In other words, sanctification is the result of being filled with His Holy Spirit.
Blessings

• Agree
Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit sanctifies, conforming us to the image of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. In other words, sanctification is the result of being filled with His Holy Spirit.
Blessings

In other words, you can be filled with the Holy Spirit and still be half-way through the process of sanctification, correct?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In other words, you can be filled with the Holy Spirit and still be half-way through the process of sanctification, correct?
God started the work of making us like Christ, and He is continuing it through His Holy Spirit. We are set apart for holiness yet not completely free from sin. Everyone grows at a different pace so it is not relevant to gauge the process. It is important not to "quench" His work in us.

God knows our heart!
Blessings.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

I don't believe so.
I believe if God made this unto us …it’s done…. just as our sanctification, and redemption were.

1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

I have always considered sanctification as one of the 5 sonship rights we were given at the new birth.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Sanctification is simply the spiritual growth that occurs in a believer as we cooperate with the Holy Spirit and live under the canopy of His Righteousness. It doesn't end until we finish our race.

LOL! A while back I felt like looking at a variety of opinions on sanctification so I started a thread and said I didn't accept the term sanctification and fought the lost cause of arguing that it doesn't exist. I took a lot of heat but learned much that helped me to better understand what it means. Was a good time, I got pretty beat up for doing it :doh:

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't believe so.
I believe if God made this unto us …it’s done…. just as our sanctification, and redemption were.

1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

I have always considered sanctification as one of the 5 sonship rights we were given at the new birth.

Yes, a believer is always sanctified but it is also a lifelong process as we must cooperate with the Holy Spirit which always produces improvement within us.

Upvote 0

servant7777

Jul 4, 2022
bolton
✟6,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is one example to think of, and to follow after. It is Jesus Christ.

His correct way is growing in the Lord, and showing what the Spirit is.

When fully grown, Him being full of grace and truth, breaths the same onto us.

That is why Jesus is anointed of the Holy Ghost at age 30 ( not immature, not growing, and able to overcome all temptations of the devil and to overcome the world.

Now, if temptation comes our way, and we believe in being filled of the Holy Spirit, we overcome all temptations also, following His way, and we overcome the world, as He also overcame.

Luke 2:40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Hebrews 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums