Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
What are the verses in the NT that plainly describe what is needed to be saved?

I think Rom 10:9 lays out the new covenant requirement pretty well. Although directed at the Jews … the application is the same…. as the new birth was first made available to them before being opened up to the Gentiles in Acts 10.

There are others throughout... like in Act 2:38, but I think Romans is clear and direct.

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do so that I may inherit eternal life?” 18 But Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not give false testimony, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20 And he said to Him, “Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth.” 21 Looking at him, Jesus showed love to him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 22 But he was deeply dismayed by these words, and he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property

Mark 10:17-22

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29)

"we who first trusted in Christ"
> in Ephesians 1:12

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:28-29)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do so that I may inherit eternal life?” 18 But Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not give false testimony, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20 And he said to Him, “Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth.” 21 Looking at him, Jesus showed love to him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 22 But he was deeply dismayed by these words, and he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property

Mark 10:17-22
Hi James, while this you bolded is not the fundamental general thing we need to be saved, it is what this particular man needed desperately to do next, at this moment in time for him, because he had to choose whether or not he really believed.

--> When he would (as he does in the text) choose his wealth and luxuries above Christ, first, instead of Christ -- even though on some level he can feel/sense that following Christ is following God's way of faith ("he went away sorrowful") -- then from that bad choice of choosing mere luxuries as first in his life, he would lose what initial faith he had soon in time (unless he turned and repented and did finally begin to believe fully in Christ).

As Christ explains this:
24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

If someone puts their material things above God, as their higher priority, then they aren't believing fully in God, who ultimately gives us all the best things, including crucially the best things of the soul and heart, things that are not merely material stuff like cars and houses and fine foods. With faith in God we will have the material things we need, but far better things also.

So, what happened to this rich man is in following the mere material pleasures of life as his main goal/purpose/way of life, he ended up literally here walking away from God (from God's way).

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi James, while this you bolded is not the fundamental general thing we need to be saved, it is what this particular man needed desperately to do next, at this moment in time for him, because he had to choose whether or not he really believed.

--> When he would (as he does in the text) choose his wealth and luxuries above Christ, first, instead of Christ -- even though on some level he can feel/sense that following Christ is following God's way of faith ("he went away sorrowful") -- then from that bad choice of choosing mere luxuries as first in his life, he would lose what initial faith he had soon in time (unless he turned and repented and did finally begin to believe fully in Christ).

As Christ explains this:
24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

If someone puts their material things above God, as their higher priority, then they aren't believing fully in God, who ultimately gives us all the best things, including crucially the best things of the soul and heart, things that are not merely material stuff like cars and houses and fine foods. With faith in God we will have the material things we need, but far better things also.

So, what happened to this rich man is in following the mere material pleasures of life as his main goal/purpose/way of life, he ended up literally here walking away from God (from God's way).

Yes, it’s very difficult to follow Jesus. That’s why Christianity ignores Him and prefers to worship doctrine and money

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it’s very difficult to follow Jesus. That’s why Christianity ignores Him and prefers to worship doctrine and money
Not all Christians. Some do, yes. But many also put God first instead of material things or their politics or ideology or abstract doctrinal arguments. If we continue to put God first, by following Christ, following His way as He taught, then all things we need will come to us.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What are the verses in the NT that plainly describe what is needed to be saved?

The gospel-good news of Jesus the Christ
1 Cor 15:
1 Now brothers and sisters, let me remind you [once again] of the good news [of salvation] which I preached to you, which you welcomed and accepted and on which you stand [by faith]. 2 By this faith you are saved [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, and set apart for His purpose], if you hold firmly to the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain [just superficially and without complete commitment].

3 For I passed on to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to [that which] the Scriptures [foretold], 4 and that He was buried, and that He was [bodily] raised on the third day according to [that which] the Scriptures [foretold],
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 15 - Amplified Bible
(MY NOTE: The gospel of Jesus Christ is: Christ died for your sins (sins due wage, paid in full), was buried (proof Jesus died) & resurrection (Father God's receipt, sins payment received & accepted)

Confess with your mouth & believe in your heart
Rom 10:
9 because if you acknowledge and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord [recognizing His power, authority, and majesty as God], and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

10 For with the heart a person believes [in Christ as Savior] resulting in his justification [that is, being made righteous—being freed of the guilt of sin and made acceptable to God]; and with the mouth he acknowledges and confesses [his faith openly], resulting in and confirming [his] salvation.
Bible Gateway passage: Romans 10 - Amplified Bible
(MY NOTE: Trust & confess that Jesus is Lord & died for your sins (sins required wage, paid in full), was buried (proof Jesus died) & believe with all your being Christ was resurrected (Father God's receipt, sins payment received & accepted) & you WILL be SAVED)

The Blessings of Redemption
Eph 1:
6 to the praise of His glorious grace and favor, which He so freely bestowed on us in the Beloved [His Son, Jesus Christ].

7 In Him we have redemption [that is, our deliverance and salvation] through His blood, [which paid the penalty for our sin and resulted in] the forgiveness and complete pardon of our sin, in accordance with the riches of His grace

13 In Him, you also, when you heard the word of truth, the good news of your salvation, and [as a result] believed in Him, were stamped with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit [the One promised by Christ] as owned and protected [by God]. 14 The Spirit is the [e]guarantee [the first installment, the pledge, a foretaste] of our inheritance until the redemption of God’s own [purchased] possession [His believers], to the praise of His glory.

14 The Spirit is the [e]guarantee [the first installment, the pledge, a foretaste] of our inheritance until the redemption of God’s own [purchased] possession [His believers], to the praise of His glory.
Bible Gateway passage: Ephesians 1 - Amplified Bible
(MY NOTE: Believers are eternally redeemed, delivered & saved through His blood. When Christ (only Christ can Matt 3:11, Lk 3:16, Mk 1:8, Jn 1:33) baptizes/SEALS you with His Holy Spirit you are guaranteed to forever be His)

Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the [g]faithful and trustworthy Witness, the [h]Firstborn of the dead, and the Ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who [always] loves us and who [has once for all] freed us [or washed us] from our sins by His own blood (His sacrificial death)
Bible Gateway passage: Revelation 1 - Amplified Bible

Final thought:
When a person understands: They have sinned against Jesus their creator God's (Jn 1:3 & 10, Col 1:16 & 17, 1 Cor 8:6, Eph 3:9) sovereign rule. And deserve it's required wage - DEATH (Rom 6:23). That they are in need of rescue & that the only thing, which can remove/wash/cleanse the sin stain from their soul, is the precious sinless Blood of Jesus the Christ.

They make a heart felt confession (only God knows our true heart) of their sins. And then believe/trust that Jesus died (in their place) for their sins, was buried & Rose from the grave.

Upvote 0