Status
Not open for further replies.

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
I was messing around on the net, and came across a website that says you can lose your salvation if you are in sin.

I am one of those Christians that seems to backslide every so often. God punishes me and I come back to him. I wish I could overcome this, but it is hard.

I have always believed that once saved you are always saved, but this particular website says that is not true.

Do you all think that it is possible to lose your salvation?

:confused:

Upvote 0

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
Welcome to the board.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. My advice on once saved always saved is to not think of failure. Keep your focus on Jesus keep looking up. And if you were to stumble, ask for to be forgiven and reset your focus on Jesus.

I also suggest you pray to God to give you the guidance and answers you seek.

We are all here to help.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>God punishes me and I come back to him.

As long as you keep coming back to Him, then your still a child of God. It's those who do not endure chastening that are not sons of God. Just remember, He is going to deal with you according to what it is going to take to get you to quit sinning. He will see to it that the punishment is enough to make the sin not worth the while. It's the truth that sets you free.

Hebrews 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

You need to learn how to use the Power in the Blood to resist temptation when the enemy brings it your way. Or as Jesus taught us when we pray, pray that God help us so that we are not lead astray. So that we never stumble or fall. Thanks, JohnR7

Proverbs 4:11-13
I have taught you in the way of wisdom;
I have led you in right paths.
[12] When you walk, your steps will not be hindered,
And when you run, you will not stumble.
[13] Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go;
Keep her, for she is your life.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, soulsisterclaire:

From time to time, many Christians still have doubts about their salvation. At one point in time, I did, too. However, this is what Scripture says on the subject:

In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our ingeritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. (Eph. 1:13,14)

It is my belief that God has promised us in His Word that we belong to Him forever, that nothing can take us from Him once we're saved.

For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Rom. 8:38,39

When we backslide, we will feel aloof from God because of sin. And because the flesh is still with us, harnessing sin will always be a struggle. However, if we confess our sins to God, He will forgive us and enter back into fellowship with Him.

J.I. Packer's book, "Knowing God" was a big help in understanding God's attributes and getting to know Him better. When we get to know God more personally, we'll have a better perspective of who we are in Christ. How we apply God's Word to our lives depends primarily upon our spiritual growth. And spiritual growth comes when we study God's Word to know Him better. I hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

Blessings to you,

Pat

Upvote 0
Originally posted by soulsisterclaire
I was messing around on the net, and came across a website that says you can lose your salvation if you are in sin.

I am one of those Christians that seems to backslide every so often. God punishes me and I come back to him. I wish I could overcome this, but it is hard.

I have always believed that once saved you are always saved, but this particular website says that is not true.

Do you believe the day God saved you, he "DIDN'T" know "everything" you're going to do, or not do, until you die?

Sure he did, but he saved you "ANYWAY".

God doesn't "go back" and say OOPPS!!!! I made a mistake, I didn't know they were going to sin again, I'll have to "take back your salvation"

Do you see how "COMICAL" it is to believe God makes such "UNINFORMED DECISIONS".

He doesn't, and that's why "once saved, always saved", it's a decision made by an "ALL KNOWING GOD" toward a "Sinner" who will never stop sinning until they're dead.

Works can't saved you and neither can work "un-save" you.

To offend the law in "one point" (one sin) makes you as guilty as offending "ALL OF THE LAWS".

Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in
one point, he is guilty of all.

Just one sin is all that's required to make you a "Sinner".

WHO??? is going to live and never sin again??????

"NONE". yet they're "saved".

Upvote 0

edjones

Jan 15, 2002
✟1,549.00
Originally posted by soulsisterclaire

I backslide also, but remember you can't backslide unless your moving foward, or at least heading in the right direction.
Yes it is hard, but praise God he punishes His own!
Salvation is not ours to lose.
ed

Every false teaching and reglious lie in this age, is the truth, misplaced.

Upvote 0

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
Thank you all so much for the replies and encouraging words! I will seek God in prayer to reveal the Truth to me.

Please pray for me to stop the backsliding. Everytime I get away from God it is so much harder and takes longer to get back to Him.

He never said it would be easy though!

Peace,
soulsisterclaire

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
I found a very interesting article by the author of Edge of Eternity, Randy Alcorn(GREAT book by the way)

The article debates and discusses if one can or can not lose their salvation.

Pretty good article.

Here's the link:

http://www.epm.org/security.html

By the way, the article has nothing to do with the book. The book Edge of Eternity is a novel. It changed my life.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the article was a good read. For those who want to exercise your intellect, a Bible study on the differences between Arminian vs. Calvinist view of losing one's salvation would be time well spent. A long time ago, my hubby took one side and I took the other as we studied the Bible on this issue. We learned a lot and had fun at the same time.

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
With sin, there are no lines to cross. It is the direction of your heart that matters.

That is why we are commanded to "be holy as I am Holy" - meaning we need to keep our hearts always focused and pure before the Lord. The best solution?

Pray for it. Pray for God to help you always be pure and holy before Him, knowing full well you can't do it alone. When you pray that prayer, you will find that God helps you, even in those times you are tempted.

Keep in mind, that sin is always a choice. Always.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Hi everyone,
Can you help me out with something? There are a couple of verses in Hebrews about this topic that bother me.

The first one is in Hebrews 10. It says that if we continue sinning after receiving full knowledge of the truth, then there is no other sacrifice that will cover those sins. So if we know something is a sin, and we slip up on impulse, how does this verse apply or not apply?

The other one is (I'm not sure where it's located) referring to the person in the Old Testament who sold his birthright for a single meal. The next verse says that "it was too late for repentance, even though he wept bitter tears." It's a scary thought to me, but is there ever a time for Christians when it's too late for repentance?

Upvote 0
The other one is (I'm not sure where it's located) referring to the person in the Old Testament who sold his birthright for a single meal. The next verse says that "it was too late for repentance, even though he wept bitter tears." It's a scary thought to me, but is there ever a time for Christians when it's too late for repentance?

The first scripture I cannot yet comment on, as I have to get my Bible and read first, but the second was when Esau sold his birthright, material things, to his brother Jacob for a bowl of stew. It was to late for him to repent, which means to turn away from and go another direction, because once you sell something, it is gone unless the buyer would be willing to sell it back. It was to late to change his mind and get his earthly inheritance back. We see later in the story, that Jacob tricks thier father into giving him Esau's spiritual birthright as well.

When we sin, we can ask our Father for forgiveness, and He is faithful to forgive us, but there might still be consequences to pay. When we ask for forgiveness, we must also repent.

Upvote 0
I am not really what one would call a new christian, but I am searching for clarity on the once saved, always saved question. I have not found one scripture yet that solidly says that we are always saved. The scripture that says nothing can separate us from the love of God, does not mean always saved. God sent His Son because He so loved THE WORLD. Nothing can make Him stop loving humanity, believers and unbelievers. But, there will be those who will perish in hell, or eternal separation from God. Doesn't mean He didn't love them. I could go on, but I am really hoping to get some opinions here.

Upvote 0

Droobie

Rebmem Raluger
Nov 22, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟20,072.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
It is possible to sin and backslide, however you won't lose your salvation in doing this. When you are a born again Christian, a new creation in God, you have a new relationship with God. One that can never be broken. What you can break, is your fellowship with God. You may not be speaking to Him, and not hearing Him, but you are still related to him. Thus your salvation remains intact, but your communication with Him has been broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.