USA
✟9,437.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The emphasis placed on grace OPPOSED to works is the equivalent of doing this IMO:

UNWORTHY servant

We must produce the fruits of repentance born of grace. To do otherwise is to twist Paul's wisdom, ignore James outright and forget Jesus' parable of the tree which would not produce fruit.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The emphasis placed on grace OPPOSED to works is the equivalent of doing this IMO:

UNWORTHY servant

We must produce the fruits of repentance born of grace. To do otherwise is to twist Paul's wisdom, ignore James outright and forget Jesus' parable of the tree which would not produce fruit.

I guess I am confused as to what you are getting at. Are you saying we must work to be saved?

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

UNWORTHY servant

NONE of us are worthy of salvation, and there is absolutely nothing we can do to change or affect that. Works do not make one worthy of salvation, they are evidence that one has been saved, is being saved, and will be saved, not because of the works, but in order that we may do those works, motivated and enabled by God, because of His favor, not to gain it.

The moment you say "we must do", you have stepped outside of Grace, and into a works-merit mindset. A truly saved person will show the fruits of salvation just as surely as apple trees produce apples, and cherry trees produce cherries. It's not something they have to think about, psyche themselves up to do, or force. Anyone who is doing that is trying to gain favor with God by their own efforts, and is not resting in their salvation by Grace.

Works are evidence of salvation, not the cause of it.

Upvote 0

makeupgirl

joint heirs with Christ
Sep 28, 2009
USA
✟15,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
NONE of us are worthy of salvation, and there is absolutely nothing we can do to change or affect that. Works do not make one worthy of salvation, they are evidence that one has been saved, is being saved, and will be saved, not because of the works, but in order that we may do those works, motivated and enabled by God, because of His favor, not to gain it.

The moment you say "we must do", you have stepped outside of Grace, and into a works-merit mindset. A truly saved person will show the fruits of salvation just as surely as apple trees produce apples, and cherry trees produce cherries. It's not something they have to think about, psyche themselves up to do, or force. Anyone who is doing that is trying to gain favor with God by their own efforts, and is not resting in their salvation by Grace.

Works are evidence of salvation, not the cause of it.

I agree thanks for breaking this down. In fact, those of us who are believers in Christ are drawn together because we share the same Spirit, the Holy Spirit. So it's so cool to meet and fellowship with another believer in Christ. I can always tell by their fruits as well but I can also going by the fruits know who isn't really a Christian when they profess that they are. Usually, they don't know about the Trinity, the change the subject pretty quickly, and they know nothing about the rapture. I get looked at a few of my co-workers that say they are Christians and when I bring up the rapture or the trinity I get strange looks from them, that's why I said this as an example. But, 1 Cor 3 breaks down that our works and what we do for Christ in the body is important because what we do is going to be judged at the Judgement seat of Christ. However, we're not worthy of Salvation, that's why it's by Grace we are saved and not by works (Eph 2:8-9).

Upvote 0

Brad2009

Feb 10, 2009
USA
✟9,437.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, yeah, that's why I just greyed the servant part - its an emphasis thing.

I'm not saying that salvation by grace alone is wrong at all, but once its said and understood, stop repeating it and for crying out loud, tell people to start storing up some treasure in heaven, building their house upon the rock which is Christ Jesus, start bearing some fruit, SOME GOOD WORK!

Again, its an emphasis thing. I've seen it time and again... people understanding the salvation by grace alone part and bearing no fruit.

Maybe this is a good way to put it: the parable of the wise man who builds his house upon the rock is well understood, the man who puts the words of Jesus Christ INTO PRACTICE is like a wise man who built his house upon the rock and the house stood.

IMO, the emphasis placed (I know its not the theology) is like a house-building tutorial which expounds for chapters on how good the rock is and how no-one could ever build a house without the rock to build it upon, but has a short footnote about house construction.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament is full of scripture commanding us to continue with the work the Lord started. The Great Commission at the end of Matthew tells us we are to be active in the Faith and to "make disciples of all nations", so Brad2009 is right in that we are to be active Christians now that we are saved. I feel a great sense of personal obligation to my Savior Jesus Christ to serve the one who saved me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dinomight

Oct 28, 2008
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree thanks for breaking this down. In fact, those of us who are believers in Christ are drawn together because we share the same Spirit, the Holy Spirit. So it's so cool to meet and fellowship with another believer in Christ. I can always tell by their fruits as well but I can also going by the fruits know who isn't really a Christian when they profess that they are. Usually, they don't know about the Trinity, the change the subject pretty quickly, and they know nothing about the rapture. I get looked at a few of my co-workers that say they are Christians and when I bring up the rapture or the trinity I get strange looks from them, that's why I said this as an example. But, 1 Cor 3 breaks down that our works and what we do for Christ in the body is important because what we do is going to be judged at the Judgement seat of Christ. However, we're not worthy of Salvation, that's why it's by Grace we are saved and not by works (Eph 2:8-9).

I see your point about people who claim to be Christian, and yet they don't seem to really have a full grasp on some important theological aspects of the faith. I'm a little concerned, however, about the idea of using knowledge of the Rapture specifically as a way to identify a "true" Christian. I believe there are a number of authentic Christians who have differing interpretations on the specifics of the End Times.

Of course, this gets us into various doctrines that exist amongst the denominations. People simply have different interpretations of scripture. It doesn't make any of them less Christian. I think the key to the whole thing is to love Christ, and to strive to be more like Him in all we do. The Holy Spirit will guide us through it all, and God will help us to understand the things we really need to know.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The emphasis is always on Christ and His work never on ours. My best works are tainted with sin and not worthy of mention. I am saved because Christ did all the work required of me. I am being saved because Christ is working in me. I will be saved because Christ will have what He worked for. Working for rewards is working for the wrong reason and is evidence that you don't know Christ. Looking to Him for initial salvation and then to yourself is fatal doctrine and damning. If Christ isn't enough for you you haven't known Him yet.

Upvote 0

dinomight

Oct 28, 2008
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The emphasis is always on Christ and His work never on ours. My best works are tainted with sin and not worthy of mention. I am saved because Christ did all the work required of me. I am being saved because Christ is working in me. I will be saved because Christ will have what He worked for. Working for rewards is working for the wrong reason and is evidence that you don't know Christ. Looking to Him for initial salvation and then to yourself is fatal doctrine and damning. If Christ isn't enough for you you haven't known Him yet.

And yet, surely the promise of rewards according to our works was meant to serve as some sort of inspiration for us. I'm not saying that the works save us, or that we should focus on the rewards, but does that mean we should completely forget about them all together? "For the Son of Man is going to come with His angels in the glory of His Father, and then He will reward each according to what he has done. (Matthew 16:27)"

We look to Christ for salvation, and then we do works because that is what the Bible says to do. We can't take credit for the works; that's the important aspect of this. All glory and honor must go to God, for it is the Holy Spirit that enables us to do anything that is pleasing to the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Amen. Well said.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We work for the Lord not because we want some reward, but because we want to serve the Lord. Sunday school teachers, Deacons, Pastors, Witnesses, Singers, Piano Players, Ushers, Missionaries, and Evangelists are just a few ways to serve Him. We serve to honor Him, not earn rewards for ourselves, because we love our Lord.

Of course our salvation is by Grace alone, but once saved, we have work to do for the Lord.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that the author is trying to say that when a person is born again, that person MUST have a new life that includes good works. We often quote Ephesians 2:8-9 to show that we are saved by faith without works, but the next verse says "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

A person who claims to be saved, but continues in the same wicked life with no change, has not really accepted Jesus Christ as Savior.

Upvote 0

dinomight

Oct 28, 2008
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that the author is trying to say that when a person is born again, that person MUST have a new life that includes good works. We often quote Ephesians 2:8-9 to show that we are saved by faith without works, but the next verse says "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

A person who claims to be saved, but continues in the same wicked life with no change, has not really accepted Jesus Christ as Savior.

I do believe that's the answer. Great post! And, really, I think we all basically mean the same thing; we just get caught up in words sometimes.

Upvote 0