Saints; can we pray to them? Can they hear us?

Can Saints hear our prayers and actually answer them?

• No. Don't even pray to them, it is wrong.

• Maybe, just maybe but I don't see it stated anywhere in the bible.

• I have done it in the past and I felt something but now I'm not so sure.

• Yes.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I went for "I don't see any indication to support it in scripture". While I'm confident the saints pray with us I see nothing to indicate that upon death they can suddenly hear a potentially infinite number of prayers and respond to all of them simultaneously.

Upvote 0

Cain Spencer

God save us all.
Mar 15, 2010
London
✟17,543.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I pray to God that way I don't have to worry about it. Go straight to the guy who can do something for you no middle man.

LOL - heh.

Do you think it would be dangerous to pray to saints unless you were certain that it was okay in the eyes of God? Would you do it then?

Upvote 0

Cain Spencer

God save us all.
Mar 15, 2010
London
✟17,543.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I went for "I don't see any indication to support it in scripture". While I'm confident the saints pray with us I see nothing to indicate that upon death they can suddenly hear a potentially infinite number of prayers and respond to all of them simultaneously.

If you are very lucky, I might just give you some biblical references. But then again I might not. :p

Upvote 0

emilybeingemily

All we are saying is give peace a chance!
Apr 8, 2007
Raleigh, North Carolina
Visit site
✟7,883.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure. I know a little bit about Catholicism but I don't know the reasoning behind why Catholics pray to saints. I'd definitely like to know, if you don't mind explaining. :)

Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Saints; can we pray to them? Can they hear us? More over, are they actually able to do anything?

Mary would be a good starting point.

Jesus told us specifically who to pray to in the model prayer:

Matthew 6:9
"This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name"

Prayers are addressed to God alone. I am certain that praying to the dead (doesn't matter who it is) angers God. Please for your own sake, do not do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Dionysiou

Feb 2, 2010
Narnia
✟10,488.00
Country
Bahamas
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know you shouldnt, Gods not going to listen to your request coz your getting saints to do it. praying to saints and mary is a tool of the devil to cause confusion. satan is wicked and wicked in ancient greek mean- to twist, and that is exactly what he does. He takes something Holy like praying to God and twists it into something which may resemble holy but is actually twisted. Pray to Jesus man, He loves you and he will listen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
If you are very lucky, I might just give you some biblical references. But then again I might not. :p
Feel free if you want to, but nobody's shown me anything persuasive before, and I doubt that's simple oversight.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it just me or does praying to the dead seem Satanic?

Not really.....

I'm not saying this to flame anyone, simply think about it. I would describe it nothing short of Satanic personally.

Ok.

"This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name"

Prayers are addressed to God alone.

And also, by this logic, every prayer that is not the Lord's Prayer, word-for-word, is also prohibited.

I am certain that praying to the dead (doesn't matter who it is) angers God. Please for your own sake, do not do it.

Why are you certain of that?

You know you shouldnt,

No, with well over a billion Christians worldwide who hold to intercession of the saints, I'd say that it is outside the realm of possibility that this is the case.

Gods not going to listen to your request coz your getting saints to do it. praying to saints and mary

You have a specific Scriptural reference to back up your claim that God disregards the prayers of those who practice this?

is a tool of the devil to cause confusion.

Opinion.

satan is wicked and wicked in ancient greek mean- to twist, and that is exactly what he does.

Well, that is certainly unrelated.

He takes something Holy like praying to God and twists it into something which may resemble holy but is actually twisted. Pray to Jesus man, He loves you and he will listen

You are assuming that people who pray to Saints don't also pray to God..... why?

Upvote 0

Musa80

Veteran
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
✟10,191.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
The practice is a christianized version of the polytheist practices of pagans. It is unbiblical and unnecessary.

Is it just me or does praying to the dead seem Satanic? I'm not saying this to flame anyone, simply think about it. I would describe it nothing short of Satanic personally.

Prayers are addressed to God alone. I am certain that praying to the dead (doesn't matter who it is) angers God. Please for your own sake, do not do it.

So which is it guys? Are Christians pagans or Satanists? or is your personal interpretation of things simply wrong? You can't have it both (or in this case multiple) ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
<staff edit>

The pagans' had miultiple gods to cover every aspect of their lives. The concept was given a blessing and whitewashed with Christian language, it is relabeled as praying to the saints. Which is why it is pagan, but christianized. In short, it is wrong.

There is no "both ways" to have it. It is wrong, no matter how it is dressed up. I am sorry if you have trouble processing this concept, but your inability (or unwillingness) to understand this concept changes nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The pagans' had miultiple gods to cover every aspect of their lives. The concept was given a blessing and whitewashed with Christian language, it is relabeled as praying to the saints. Which is why it is pagan, but christianized. In short, it is wrong.

This would be true, yes, if that was how we prayed to Saints.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Saints; can we pray to them? Can they hear us? More over, are they actually able to do anything?

Mary would be a good starting point.

Hey, this poll is not valid but skewed.

There is not one clear choice that Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and other Christians (such as Anglicans and Lutherans) who honor and pray to the Ever Virgin Mary can choose.

I cannot even answer:

(1) NONE OF THE ABOVE, or

(2) You are kidding about these choices, right?

Upvote 0

The writer

Jul 28, 2008
✟222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is concluded in Scripture that we should not pray to saints.

In 1 Kings 15, King Saul enquired of a witch and brought up Samuel (the prophet) from his rest in Hades. Samuel rebuked Saul. Saul knew that God was not hearing him so he went about another way to get counsel from a departed saint. Job asks "and to which of the saints will you turn?" as though they could save a man!

Jesus is the one man who mediates between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5).
It is true that angels communicate on behalf of those who are appointed to salvation (Hebrews 1:14). But we should pray to Jesus because he died for us and redeemed us by his blood (Colossians 1:14) he understands our temptations and infirmities (Hebrews 4:15) and lives to always make intercession for us before God the Father (Hebrews 7:25).

For there is one God and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus
(1 Timothy 2:5).

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It is concluded in Scripture that we should not pray to saints.

In 1 Kings 15, King Saul enquired of a witch and brought up Samuel (the prophet) from his rest in Hades. Samuel rebuked Saul. Saul knew that God was not hearing him so he went about another way to get counsel from a departed saint. Job asks "and to which of the saints will you turn?" as though they could save a man!

Good thing we don't actually try and summon the dead for the purpose of divination :doh:

Jesus is the one man who mediates between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5).
It is true that angels communicate on behalf of those who are appointed to salvation (Hebrews 1:14). But we should pray to Jesus because he died for us and redeemed us by his blood (Colossians 1:14) he understands our temptations and infirmities (Hebrews 4:15) and lives to always make intercession for us before God the Father (Hebrews 7:25).

For there is one God and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus
(1 Timothy 2:5).

Then why are we asked to pray for one another?

Upvote 0