✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Road by Cormac Mcarthy
I can only read a few pages at a time of this light work... sheesh.. depression city... wouldn't say it's the saddest because it's just fresh in my mind.. but it is near the top of the short list... more later on.

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Much can depend on how you view a book. Some of Heinleins stuff is pretty sad. 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' often impacts me. Rather strange as a 12 year old girl dies and I feel nothing, but I 'morn' the death of a non-human.

I find 'Brave New World' much sadder than 1984. Like many books 'Brave New World' gets its title from a line of dialog in the book. Something like 'What a brave new world with such beautiful people in it'. To me the fall from such hope is much sadder than the grim world of 1984.
Actually that's from Miranda in the Tempest "O! Brave New World with such wonders in it" and yes that is a sad book, and would ave to agree on Flowers For Algernon (read it at home/work and did cry)

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This Boy's Life by Robert McCammon - a very sad scene in the book

Finally! Someone else who has heard of Robert McCammon, who is my husband's all-time favorite author!

Aaaaanyway...back to the topic...

I'm a natural cry-er - cry at the drop of a hat - so the list is too long to post. However, the first book that came to my mind was "Seeds of Yesterday" by V.C. Andrews. It's the 4th book of the Dollanganger series. The end of it brings me to tears E-V-E-R-Y time I read it...and I'm talking REAL tears, not just feeling sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MercyGrace

I love Narnia.
Jun 8, 2011
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hadn't thought about Flowers for Algernon for a long time. It is really sad.

As a child, I found both Tuck Everlasting and Bridge to Terebithia sad. And The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis usually makes me cry! But then again, so does I'll Love You Forever by Robert Munsch!

Upvote 0