Russia Prepares Nationwide Drills With Nuclear War Scenario

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No.

Ukraine was corrupt before Russia invaded.
So its only Ukraine that should roll over because you think it is corrupt and not deserving of existence?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So its only Ukraine that should roll over because you think it is corrupt and not deserving of existence?

No. I said I was anti-war, not pro-war for one side and anti-war for the other.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. I said I was anti-war, not pro-war for one side and anti-war for the other.
Yet so far you have only called for Ukraine to give Russia whatever they want.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,604.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems easy to dismiss the threats but Putin is age 70, Russia is in decline and Putin wants some sort of legacy. China wants Taiwan and disputed islands, N. Korea and Iran among others all would be ready to rumble. On top of that the Ukraine war is escalating. More deadly weaponry is being introduced and Ukraine is hitting behind the lines now. Add in personal talks with Putin: N.Korea, (Last week) and China (soon) you have to wonder what is going on. Biden and the VP are weak, so this is potential moment for some serious action. It almost is a soon or never moment. The next President will be stronger, Russia will be degraded even more, and the world is moving away from Chinese trade. China by the way has a demographic problem, high youth unemployment and starting to have a banking and real estate crisis.

Legacy may well be a primary motive for Putin's expedition into Ukraine. Also, China's ambitions are clear. As you say the net effect of this invasion has been a degradation of the capabilities of two America's most potent rivals, Russia militarily and China economically. The longer this war continues the more the the West will shift its trading axis away from these powers. I find the rhetoric in Republican Party debates and posturing to be pure foolishness vis a vis America's national self-interest. You are winning! So persevere with the current strategy. 2024 may matter to Americans for mainly domestic reasons but for the rest of us, it has to do with the big calls that will keep world peace and stability by defending a rules-based international order that China and Russia are trying to overturn. Biden's foreign policy is broadly correct on all the big power calls - less so on his ideological agenda but that is not the priority right now.

Regarding corruption in Ukraine, it is true this was a major problem before the war as the Russian gangster system was the key political issue on which Zelensky was elected to overturn. Also, Ukraine may have done some pretty dubious stuff in the background to try and win this war. But they are the small guys in the playground here standing up to the bully who wants to take all their stuff. The corrupt oligarchs are being tackled and the war has accelerated this process:

Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it okay to invade a county that is attacking its own people? Can a hereditary power come to the defense of its past citizenry?
That one is questionable to me as well. Heck, I was against the second Persian Gulf War because we didn't have a good justifiable reason to invade Iraq. I knew what the result would be. We would have a crushing "victory", and then a long troubled rebuilding period that the US was not ready for much less thought through.

If we invaded every country that is attacking its own people, how long before the US is invaded?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
That one is questionable to me as well. Heck, I was against the second Persian Gulf War because we didn't have a good justifiable reason to invade Iraq. I knew what the result would be. We would have a crushing "victory", and then a long troubled rebuilding period that the US was not ready for much less thought through.

If we invaded every country that is attacking its own people, how long before the US is invaded?
That is the decision that Russia had to make. Their choice was invasion and liberation of their cousins.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
United Kingdom
✟227,139.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is it okay to invade a county that is attacking its own people? Can a hereditary power come to the defense of its past citizenry?
Is it okay to torture and murder civilians, before dumping their bodies in mass graves?

Is it okay to rape and murder women and children?

Is it okay to kidnap thousands of children and hand them out to Russian families like candy?

Is it okay to bomb entire cities and towns into rubble?

Is it okay to appease genocidal dictators?

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Is it okay to torture and murder civilians, before dumping their bodies in mass graves?

Is it okay to rape and murder women and children?

Is it okay to kidnap thousands of children and hand them out to Russian families like candy?

Is it okay to bomb entire cities and towns into rubble?

Is it okay to appease genocidal dictators?
Thems the breaks.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Legacy may well be a primary motive for Putin's expedition into Ukraine. Also, China's ambitions are clear. As you say the net effect of this invasion has been a degradation of the capabilities of two America's most potent rivals, Russia militarily and China economically. The longer this war continues the more the the West will shift its trading axis away from these powers. I find the rhetoric in Republican Party debates and posturing to be pure foolishness vis a vis America's national self-interest. You are winning! So persevere with the current strategy. 2024 may matter to Americans for mainly domestic reasons but for the rest of us, it has to do with the big calls that will keep world peace and stability by defending a rules-based international order that China and Russia are trying to overturn. Biden's foreign policy is broadly correct on all the big power calls - less so on his ideological agenda but that is not the priority right now.

Regarding corruption in Ukraine, it is true this was a major problem before the war as the Russian gangster system was the key political issue on which Zelensky was elected to overturn. Also, Ukraine may have done some pretty dubious stuff in the background to try and win this war. But they are the small guys in the playground here standing up to the bully who wants to take all their stuff. The corrupt oligarchs are being tackled and the war has accelerated this process:

Yes, you are right. The GOP all need to support Ukraine. We can't worry about the past with Ukraine and yes, their future looks brighter if they can persist. Ukrainians are doing us a huge favor as Russia's allies are all bad actors.

China hoodwinked governments and businesses alike pretending to be semi- capitalist for the sake of modernizing to the point where they can challenge the West. That massive growth era is over and they can't regain their momentum, so they sure do have temptations to try force. "US intelligence believes that Xi Jinping, China’s leader, has ordered the country’s military to be ready by 2027 to annex Taiwan." Taiwan foreign minister warns of conflict with China in 2027 But why wait as Tiawan is arming up more and the West is likely going to be less dependent on China? I suppose the best scenario would be China deepening a cold war with the USA but I sure pray the Biden administration can manage through this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,604.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is the decision that Russia had to make. Their choice was invasion and liberation of their cousins.

How does murdering, raping, pillaging and wanton destruction of infrastructure represent 'liberation?'

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
How does murdering, raping, pillaging and wanton destruction of infrastructure represent 'liberation?'
I would ask Americans that.
Name a country that has gone to war and those events did not happen.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,604.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you are right. The GOP all need to support Ukraine. We can't worry about the past with Ukraine and yes, their future looks brighter if they can persist. Ukrainians are doing us a huge favor as Russia's allies are all bad actors.

China hoodwinked governments and businesses alike pretending to be semi- capitalist for the sake of modernizing to the point where they can challenge the West. That massive growth era is over and they can't regain their momentum, so they sure do have temptations to try force. "US intelligence believes that Xi Jinping, China’s leader, has ordered the country’s military to be ready by 2027 to annex Taiwan." Taiwan foreign minister warns of conflict with China in 2027 But why wait as Tiawan is arming up more and the West is likely going to be less dependent on China? I suppose the best scenario would be China deepening a cold war with the USA but I sure pray the Biden administration can manage through this.

Right now isolationism in the Republican party is the biggest thing sabotaging their credibility. American prosperity and security hinge on a global set of alliances that have the USA at their heart. The two biggest opponents of the advantages that the USA currently enjoys have been Russia and China and even Trump marked them out as America's key rivals. Because Trump thinks he has Biden on the ropes over the Hunter Biden affair in 'corrupt' Ukraine, because he is really pals with Putin, and because of the clumsy democrat efforts with Russia gate over the 2016 election, Republicans view the war in Ukraine through a distorted set of filters and do not recognize their strategic significance weighing potential political gains against Biden over these.

This war has fundamentally weakened Russia as it has lost just about all its fossil fuel contracts with Europe. Its whole infrastructure was set up for this trade and the profits were higher than with potential Asian replacements. It has also lost more than 300,000 men, killed and wounded, and a colossal amount of equipment. Of course, in the short term, this was masked by being able to raid an enormous stockpile of Soviet-era munitions and equipment but this is running out. Ukraine, while unable to break through the Russian lines, shows no sign of backing down either and so Russia is now embroiled in costly trench warfare with its neighbor. They steal Ukrainian children because one consequence of this war is the demographic cost. Russia already has too few babies but if a whole generation of men are wiped out on the battlefield even less so moving forward.

China too is already suffering under the increasingly ideological heavy hand of Xi Jinping but with the potential loss of Western markets, this impact is magnified. Taiwan is probably not possible for him right now militarily, however desperate he gets and a foiled invasion would have massive implications for the communist Party's grip on power. A more likely response is actually a greater level of repression in China leading to a further weakening of its economic prospects. It is in China's interest that this war ends as soon as possible. But Xi appears to have no traction with Putin regarding an end to the war.

Basically what is happening here is that these two powers challenged for the top spot and for a multipolar world in which they could do what they liked. They are currently being rebuffed quite effectively by the USA and its allies. But Republican demagogues are urging their supporters to simply give up the fight and retreat into their own little isolationist bubble. This is no longer a realistic possibility without massive costs to the USA's prosperity and security. Until that delusional rhetoric is overthrown by saner minds the Republican party is not fit to govern and represents a clear and present danger to the interests of the USA and its allies.

Upvote 0