Russell Moore, Rick Warren to Join ‘Pope Francis’ With Muslims, Buddhists for Interfa

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“ROME – Russell Moore, the president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, and Saddleback megachurch leader Rick Warren will team up with Roman Catholic Pontiff Francis later this month for an interfaith Vatican conference on marriage and family.

Complementarity of Man and Woman,” will be held Nov. 17-19 at the Vatican, and is expected to feature more than 30 speakers from over 20 countries. According to the Catholic News Service, those of the Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, Jaina Shasana, Taoist and Sikh religions will be present, as well as Roman Catholics and professing Christians.

http://christiannews.net/2014/11/07/russell-moore-rick-warren-to-join-pope-francis-with-muslims-bud

Does God, would Jesus, gather with unbelievers to discuss spiritual matters, unless it was for salvation? No. This "interfaith" gathering tells people all paths of faith lead to the same God, which is false.

Do you ever witness in the letters of the apostles such gatherings, except for the sake of the cross, telling people they need to be saved.

Jesus told you, if you follow me the world will hate you, but the modern church is so set on having the secular world or false religions love us.

Do not care about what the world thinks of you, but fear how the Lord will judge you.
Do not be lukewarm in your walk as a christian, for God would rather you be hot or cold.....or He will spit you out, and erase your name from the book of life.

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The last I heard, Moore, Warren and the Pope were all Christians.

One might wait and see what they all say after the meeting to rush to judgement.

Umm, not judging stating a fact, did you read it?

"According to the Catholic News Service, those of the Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, Jaina Shasana, Taoist and Sikh religions will be present, as well as Roman Catholics and professing Christians."

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
woodpecker said:
Umm, not judging stating a fact, did you read it?
It is an 'Interfaith Vatican conference on marriage and family'.

"...conference..." Yes, I read that. Did you understand it? A 'conference' is where people talk and discuss things. In this case 'marriage and family', presumably.

You make the comment this conference is telling people of the equivalence of approaches to God. That is a judgment PRIOR to the event. That is 'pre-judging' from which comes the word 'prejudicial'. Your denial is in error, you ARE judging. You also ignored the comments made in the Christian News article.

Sorry woodpecker, you jumped to a conclusion. Tell you what, let's see what happens at the meeting and what is announced after. We'll talk about it then.

Upvote 0

J.B.

Apr 9, 2010
California
✟8,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I also believe that interfaith gatherings are wrong, for the reasons that Woodpecker mentioned. I do not think positively of Russell Moore, Rick Warren, or Pope Francis. I disagree with their perspectives of Christianity, which I believe to represent departures from the scriptures.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0
S

stellalunaCW

I never understand objections to things like this. Can it be assumed, woodpecker, that you only spend your life discussing things with people who think and believe the same as you? If so, then I understand why this conference would be uncomfortable to you. Otherwise, I think it sounds fascinating and I would go if I had the opportunity. It sounds like it could be very eye-opening for all the attendees.

Upvote 0

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never understand objections to things like this. Can it be assumed, woodpecker, that you only spend your life discussing things with people who think and believe the same as you? If so, then I understand why this conference would be uncomfortable to you. Otherwise, I think it sounds fascinating and I would go if I had the opportunity. It sounds like it could be very eye-opening for all the attendees.[/quote

As I stated above Christians do not speak with non Christians on spiritual issues, unless they are sharing the salvation message.

Why would my church leaders for example go to the Hindu temple down the street to discuss Christian spiritual matters on marriage? Do you think the church's in the NT ran by the apostles did such things.... No

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“Complementarity of Man and Woman,” will be held Nov. 17-19 at the Vatican, and is expected to feature more than 30 speakers from over 20 countries. According to the Catholic News Service, those of the Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, Jaina Shasana, Taoist and Sikh religions will be present, as well as Roman Catholics and professing Christians.

I presume the intention is to show that many Christian teachings on "marriage and family" are also shared by other religions.

To quote one speaker: "Marriage as the lifelong union between one man and one woman is not a Catholic idea or even a Christian idea."

I see no harm in pointing that out. Indeed, to have an international conference about the benefits of marriage is a great idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perhaps if the other religious leaders spread the world on how similar Christian principles are to their own religion.... this is almost a foot in the door already for us Christians because then our faith isn't so alien to them.

Upvote 0
S

stellalunaCW

As I stated above Christians do not speak with non Christians on spiritual issues, unless they are sharing the salvation message.

Why would my church leaders for example go to the Hindu temple down the street to discuss Christian spiritual matters on marriage? Do you think the church's in the NT ran by the apostles did such things.... No

Indeed Christians speak with non-Christians all the time about spiritual things. The Christian life is steeped with spiritual things; it would be impossible not to discuss them with anyone you come in contact with.

That said, I don't think marriage can be defined as strictly spiritual. And people of different faiths are coming together to talk about a topic isn't the same thing as being "yoked with unbelievers." I think you're taking that verse way out of context.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 Corinthians 16
Do not team up with unbelievers. How can righteousness be partners with wickedness (unbelievers)? How can light (born again believes) be with darkness (unbeliever's)?

I assume you mean 2 Corinthians 6, but there's nothing there to forbid speaking with unbelievers.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also believe that interfaith gatherings are wrong, for the reasons that Woodpecker mentioned. I do not think positively of Russell Moore, Rick Warren, or Pope Francis. I disagree with their perspectives of Christianity, which I believe to represent departures from the scriptures. (emph. added)

Really? Which of these positions that Russel Moore believes do you disagree with?
from wikipedia said:
Theological Views Moore writes from the perspective of a theologically conservative Baptist Christian who affirms the inerrancy of Scripture[2] and a complementarian position on gender roles, as well as a belief in a literal hell and exclusivist salvation views.[3]
He works extensively in the area of Christian eschatology, highlighting the kingdom of God as the center of theology and ethics.[4] Moore is a leading evangelical figure calling for a vision of the kingdom as "already" and "not yet."[5] Moore emphasizes the kingdom as a spiritual warfare uprooting the demonic powers, an emphasis that shows up not only in his works on the kingdom and on temptation but also in his writings on, for example, orphan care.[6]
Moore is especially interested in issues of ethics and religious liberty. In his early work, he argued for the early Baptist commitment to religious liberty represented by such figures as Isaac Backus, John Leland, and Jeremiah Moore as consistently conservative, over against those who would articulate a more secularist understanding of the separation of church and state.[7]
In ethics, Moore stands within the conservative stream of communitarianism, calling for a Christian demonstration of ethical transformation within the church as the initial manifestation of the kingdom.[8] Heavily influenced by theologians Abraham Kuyper and Carl F. H. Henry, Moore articulates a conservative evangelical call for justice for the vulnerable, including care for widows, orphans, the unborn, the disabled, the elderly, and the undocumented.[9] He has also called on evangelicals, especially Southern Baptist Christians, to repudiate their racist legacy by working for churches that are multiracial venues of reconciliation as a witness to the coming kingdom.[10]
In eschatology, Moore believes in an "inaugurated eschatology" in which the Kingdom of God is "already/not yet." Consistent with this position, he sees Jesus Christ as the full inheritor of God's promises to Israel, and that the church receives the benefits of this as it is "in" Christ.[11]
found here: Russell D. Moore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tulc(is very curious to see which ones you disagree with) :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Is this 'conference' (whatever it is/was) over yet? Are there any releases of what was said, or who agreed to what?

Not yet. According to the news articles I can find, the Conference is scheduled for 17 to 19 November. So it hasn't begun or ended yet. So there are no releases of who said what about whom or to whom and with which.

Interesting observation. There's a notice of this on the 'pink' network, who self-identify as pro-LBGT. They are careful in their announcement, but seemed to emphasize the purpose of the Conference is to support traditional marriage.

Too early to erect the stakes and gather firewood.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would be uncomfortable with an interfaith event that involved a shared prayer. I think it would betray the consciences of all attendees, not just the Christians. No practicing Jew or Muslim could say a prayer addressed to the Trinity or in the name of Christ; so I'm going to go ahead and say that barring such radical theological confusing, we shouldn't be terribly concerned that people from different religious backgrounds have decided to get together and have a conversation.

I have conversations with non Christians pretty frequently. The Christianity I practice isn't the cool kid clique from high school that doesn't let the other kids sit at our table and eat lunch with us.

If that's what you think Christianity is, then perhaps spend some time in personal reflection and repentance.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious, - what exactly is it intending to achieve ? Highlight similarities, differences ? We (Christians) are not changing our stance on marriage as we have the perfect God-given blue print. So what exactly is the purpose of such an event ? Edit - just read the article posted in post #17. Still not convinced of it's purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would be uncomfortable with an interfaith event that involved a shared prayer. I think it would betray the consciences of all attendees, not just the Christians. No practicing Jew or Muslim could say a prayer addressed to the Trinity or in the name of Christ; so I'm going to go ahead and say that barring such radical theological confusing, we shouldn't be terribly concerned that people from different religious backgrounds have decided to get together and have a conversation.

I have conversations with non Christians pretty frequently. The Christianity I practice isn't the cool kid clique from high school that doesn't let the other kids sit at our table and eat lunch with us.

If that's what you think Christianity is, then perhaps spend some time in personal reflection and repentance.

-CryptoLutheran

This is not about just talking to your unbelieving friends or acquaintances, these are religions of different gods coming together to discuss marriage, which is a spiritual union ordained by God, the One True God of Christianity...not by the god of any of the invited religions.

Please read Paul's letter to the corinthian church and tell me if apostle Paul agrees with you, or anyone else who seems to believe this gathering done by the pope is ok with God.

2 Corithians 6

14Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness?

15What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil (unbelievers)?

How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever?

16And what union can there be between God’s temple (believers) and idols (unbelievers)?

For we are the temple of the living God.

As God said:

“I will live in them
and walk among them.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

17Therefore, come out from among unbelievers,
and separate yourselves from them, says the LORD.
Don’t touch their filthy things,
and I will welcome you.

18And I will be your Father,
and you will be my sons and daughters,
says the LORD Almighty."

Upvote 0