You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but this is not a topic about Forrest Gump. It's a topic about running.

I'm starting half marathon training for a race in the fall. I'm trying to get myself jazzed up and motivated so I thought I'd start a discussion.

Any other runners out there? What do you like to run? How often do you run and how far do you like to run? Where do you like to run? Do you have any goals you'd like to accomplish with your running?

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That sounds like a really pleasant run. :)

I usually like to run at the park by the creek, but now that it's getting so hot I'll probably have to start running at the sports complex instead.

My ultimate goal is the Disney Marathon. It would be great fun, and it would be awesome to have a Mickey Mouse medal for finishing. :D

Upvote 0

Manda_24

Saved by Grace
Jan 2, 2004
Indiana
✟19,896.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I run occasionally, this summer I'm planning on running more consistantly, I have a friend that wants to run with me so that will help.
My roommate and another friend ran the Chicago marathon last year and I think the one is doing a mini this year.

Upvote 0

BoarderDave

SoCal Beachaholic
Jan 16, 2007
Southern California!
Visit site
✟27,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to run up and down the beach everyday after work.. I used it for an excuse to keep my legs stretched for when Im in the ocean I don't get leg cramps. I loved it though.. it was fun. At first I had my iPod, but I forgot it one day and then noticed that I enjoyed the sound of the ocean better.. so I decided to stop bringing it.

Now I have a bike, so not much running these days. :)

Upvote 0

LonelyTraveler

almost home.
Mar 16, 2006
✟10,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I pretty much have to walk. About 8 strides into a run I start experiencing record amounts of side pain. I would like to start running/jogging so that next spring I can be in this 15K race next spring. I don't care if I win or not. (Hear that, competitive freaks? I DON'T CARE IF I WIN!! Sorry, had to do it.) I just want to finish. :)

Upvote 0

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pretty much have to walk. About 8 strides into a run I start experiencing record amounts of side pain. I would like to start running/jogging so that next spring I can be in this 15K race next spring. I don't care if I win or not. (Hear that, competitive freaks? I DON'T CARE IF I WIN!! Sorry, had to do it.) I just want to finish. :)

I don't ever care about winning, either. I just usually set myself a time goal and I'm happy if I reach that. :)

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
That sounds like a really pleasant run. :)

I usually like to run at the park by the creek, but now that it's getting so hot I'll probably have to start running at the sports complex instead.

My ultimate goal is the Disney Marathon. It would be great fun, and it would be awesome to have a Mickey Mouse medal for finishing. :D

I have a friend that participates in the Disney Marathon. She's had her picture taken with Mickey. :D

I would love to run, but almost every time I run, I end up in a coughing fit. :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rodgeam

Aug 15, 2005
Alabama
Visit site
✟426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I started running a couple of weeks ago, to get in shape and hopefully participate in some marathons/races. I am so out of shape I could only run for a couple of minutes at a time the first few tries. I'm at ten mins, walk 2 mins, run ten mins now, but I keep getting horrible shin splits. I think I must be overdoing it.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, but this is not a topic about Forrest Gump. It's a topic about running.

I'm starting half marathon training for a race in the fall. I'm trying to get myself jazzed up and motivated so I thought I'd start a discussion.

Any other runners out there? What do you like to run? How often do you run and how far do you like to run? Where do you like to run? Do you have any goals you'd like to accomplish with your running?

My history teacher and his wife were in a marathon thing over the weekend. :)

I've never been able to run for long lengths of time... but I used to do quite well in very short distance speed running. I guess I'm kinda like a dwarf from lord of the rings, "We Dwarves are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances." :p

Upvote 0

deliciousBass

Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
DC Metro
✟27,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I used to run quite a bit but not super long distances. Usually 2 miles every other day and on Fridays it was 4-7 miles But then a few years ago I went through a period where I gained some weight and it was very hard on my knees, shins and feet so I quit.

I would like to get back into running but just am kinda discouraged about it because I'm not nearly as good a runner as I used to be. Every once in a while I go out and I run and I'm like exhausted after a couple miles and I'm bummed because I used to do it without breaking a sweat :sigh:

Also, my biggest obstacle I think is running alone. I HATE running alone but unfortunately, I have no one to run with :cry:

Upvote 0

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started running a couple of weeks ago, to get in shape and hopefully participate in some marathons/races. I am so out of shape I could only run for a couple of minutes at a time the first few tries. I'm at ten mins, walk 2 mins, run ten mins now, but I keep getting horrible shin splits. I think I must be overdoing it.

That's great progress! What kind of shoes are you running in? If your shoes aren't good quality and especially designed for your type of foot, it can cause shin splints. Or if your shoes are old and worn down (you can only put about 500 miles on a pair of running shoes before you need to get a new pair). I'd suggest going by a running shop to see if they can fit you in a pair of shoes that will be easy on your knees and shins. Or you can use this handy shoe selector to find the right kind of shoe for your foot. Getting the right pair of shoes is the most important factor in protecting yourself against injuries in running. Spending $100 on a good pair of Brooks/Mizunos/Suaconys is well worth the investment. I couldn't believe the difference on my knees when I got my Mizunos.

Wow, I could do a commercial. ^_^

I used to run quite a bit but not super long distances. Usually 2 miles every other day and on Fridays it was 4-7 miles But then a few years ago I went through a period where I gained some weight and it was very hard on my knees, shins and feet so I quit.

I would like to get back into running but just am kinda discouraged about it because I'm not nearly as good a runner as I used to be. Every once in a while I go out and I run and I'm like exhausted after a couple miles and I'm bummed because I used to do it without breaking a sweat :sigh:

Also, my biggest obstacle I think is running alone. I HATE running alone but unfortunately, I have no one to run with :cry:

I usually prefer to run alone, but I run much better when I'm running with someone. I push myself a lot harder if I'm with a buddy.

And I totally know what you mean about it being hard to get back at it after you've taken a break! It is so depressing when you try running and all you can think about is how well you did before and how mad you are at yourself for not keeping it up better. :doh:

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Bicycling is a good way to get back into jogging shape. Plus, it's much easier on the knees.

Upvote 0