Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The whole next chapter, Romans 9, had a similar effect on me, Ephesians 1:1-14 only reinforced it. I had read those Scripture before, a number of times, and to shorten the response, let's just say the broken glasses were replaced with new ones and that by grace.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I thought I was Arminian until I read this verse literally and was like... 'wha......'

Ever have an experience with that verse like that?
This verse has been one of the most encouraging of all verses to me over the years. I memorized it many years ago when I didn't believe it, but had hopes that it would be true for me some day. Today it is true for me, along with 8:1,16, and others.
TD:)

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This verse has been one of the most encouraging of all verses to me over the years. I memorized it many years ago when I didn't believe it, but had hopes that it would be true for me some day. Today it is true for me, along with 8:1,16, and others.

Sometimes I feel like the Spirit testifies but when I relapse into sin, I don't feel it for awhile.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

:)

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 8 (NASB)...Deliverance from the spiritual Bondage of Sin
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life IN Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did:
sending His own Son in the (Man) LIKENESS of sinful flesh and as an (SELF) offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 so that the requirement of the Law might be FULFILLED in us, who do not WALK according to the flesh but according to the Spirit....
28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God,
to those who are called (SAVED) according to His purpose. 29 For those (SAVED) whom He FOREKNEW, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son,
so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren (SAVED);
30 and these whom He predestined, He also CALLED;
and these whom He called, He also justified;
and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Romans 8 (NASB)...Deliverance from the spiritual Bondage of Sin
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life IN Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did:
sending His own Son in the (Man) LIKENESS of sinful flesh and as an (SELF) offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 so that the requirement of the Law might be FULFILLED in us, who do not WALK according to the flesh but according to the Spirit....
28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God,
to those who are called (SAVED) according to His purpose. 29 For those (SAVED) whom He FOREKNEW, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son,
so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren (SAVED);
30 and these whom He predestined, He also CALLED;
and these whom He called, He also justified;
and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Interesting viewpoint. I am open to anyone's interpretation these days while holding my own.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting viewpoint. I am open to anyone's interpretation these days while holding my own.
My view is that the whole NT is teaching this deliverance from sin. The extreme ends of the journey are:
1. Prior to conversion, in complete bondage - Eph. 2:3
2. After resurrection, completely delivered - 1 Cor. 15:54, Rom. 8:21

And, in between (our current condition) - in need of ongoing sanctification, that is, a work in progress, or being delivered from sin (as a current ongoing process). We are sanctified (past tense) in spirit (1 Cor. 6:11), and being sanctified (present tense) as an ongoing process in soul (1 Thes. 5:23).

The bottom line is that it's all God's work, and we should completely trust Him for it.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought I was Arminian until I read this verse literally and was like... 'wha......'

Ever have an experience with that verse like that?

This passage is often misunderstood because it is taken out of context. In this section of Romans Paul is addressing the Jewish believers in the church at Rome. He starts this discussion in chapter 2 verse 17 where he says.

17 Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God, (Rom. 2:17 KJV)

He continues addressing the Jews in the church through chapter 11 verse 13.

13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: (Rom. 11:13 KJV)

Through this section he's addressing Jewish believers. In verse 28 he writes 'for we know' the word know literally means to see or to know by seeing. A good translation is, to perceive. That brings us to the question of how his Jewish readers would have perceived that God works all things together for good to those who love him. He goes on to explain that those God foreknew He also predestined. This is where people go off the rails. The word that is translated "foreknew" is the Greek word "proginosko" it's a compound word, "pro" and "ginosko". Pro means before and ginosko means know. Literally, it's before know. The problem is that people claim that this means God knew them before the foundation of the world. However, that's not how the word is used. Paul used this word of himself and the Jewish leadership.

4 My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews;
5 Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.
6 And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers:
(Acts 26:4-6 KJV)

The phrase "which knew me from the beginning" is translated from proginosko. Paul surely isn't saying that those Jews knew him before he was born. He's simply saying that they knew him in the past, from his youth. That's the same way he's using it in Romans 8. He's talking about those God knew before, or in the past. Men like Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, etc. These men that God knew in the past he did predestine them. He also called them, justified them and glorified them. Paul is not talking about some kind of eternal knowledge on God's part, but simply men that God had interacted with in the past. That we know this is the case can be seen in chapter 9 where Paul explains this.

How would Paul's readers perceive that God works all thing together for good to those who love Him? Paul explains this in chapter 9 where he begins.

I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. (Rom. 9:1-5 KJV)

Notice here that Paul is talking about Israelites. He states this plainly. He says that the promises pertain to the fathers, who are Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Notice how he then continues to explain the promises.

6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son.
10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;
11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth
12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. (Rom. 9:6-13 KJV)

Paul's Jewish readers who were reading this letter were familiar with the promises made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, it was Israel's hope. It's through this history that Paul's readers would have perceived that God works all things together for those who love. This passage in not about the Calvinist belief that God know people before the foundation of the world. It's simply an example of what God had done for those in the past who loved Him.

Upvote 0