Romans 2: 13-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pulseworm

for not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness, and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

is Paul saying people who have not heard the name Jesus can go to Heaven if they have Jesus in their hearts?

apenman

Veteran
Aug 7, 2004
Vancouver
✟2,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
pulseworm said:
for not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness, and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

is Paul saying people who have not heard the name Jesus can go to Heaven if they have Jesus in their hearts?
Something like that. It kind of begs the question, how were Gentiles saved before the sacrifice of Christ??

Upvote 0

raphael_aa

Wild eyed liberal
Nov 25, 2004
✟9,552.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
VT2A&M said:
Can you have Jesus in your heart without hearing about him?

VT
IMO one can 'Jesus in their heart' without hearing of Him OR, having heard of Him, without explicitly 'accepting' Him. I think it was Karl Barth who had the notion of the 'anonymous' christian, one who follows the Way of Christ without consciously knowing he is doing so.

I know many of my more conservative brethren will dispute this.

Upvote 0

apenman

Veteran
Aug 7, 2004
Vancouver
✟2,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Foon Nerfdahl said:
God judges the heart. Our actions show our heart.

Actions of love show that one is a friend of God.

Of course people other than Christians go to heaven if they "Love God and neighbor" and do actions that show that they are a friend of God.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SpaceMonk

Anathema Maranatha
Nov 20, 2004
[classified]
Visit site
✟7,756.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Foon Nerfdahl said:
God judges the heart. Our actions show our heart.

Actions of love show that one is a friend of God.

Of course people other than Christians go to heaven if they "Love God and neighbor" and do actions that show that they are a friend of God.

How could anyone think otherwise?
I don't disagree with this concept, but then what's the point of christianity?

Why did Jesus order evangelism, if salvation is only up to the heart and our actions of love?
I suppose Buddha is in heaven then?
He took his own path to enlightenment - and it worked out for him?
That's good to know.
So why the necessity for evangelism? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpaceMonk

Anathema Maranatha
Nov 20, 2004
[classified]
Visit site
✟7,756.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
apenman said:
Christ died so that this concept can be true, and it is the point of Christianity.
:sorry: I should have said, "Why be christian?" or "Why persuade others to be christian?", which would have fit better with the rest of my post.

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SpaceMonk said:
I don't disagree with this concept, but then what's the point of christianity?

Why did Jesus order evangelism, if salvation is only up to the heart and our actions of love?
I suppose Buddha is in heaven then?
He took his own path to enlightenment - and it worked out for him?
That's good to know.
So why the necessity for evangelism? :scratch:
So the majority of us who did/ do not have Jesus in a heart have half a chance.

I think the difference is that those who hear the gospel get to live redeemed lifestarting now. Eternal life is a continuation not just a new start.

Upvote 0

Gwynne

Dancin', dancin', dancin'!!!!!
Mar 17, 2004
Michigan
✟8,569.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SpaceMonk said:
:sorry: I should have said, "Why be christian?" or "Why persuade others to be christian?", which would have fit better with the rest of my post.

Because being a Christian is about having a personal relationship with Him, and He is more than worthy of our praise.

Upvote 0

apenman

Veteran
Aug 7, 2004
Vancouver
✟2,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SpaceMonk said:
I don't promote the "Christian religion", as religion isn't necessary. I do promote Christ and the "scope" of his sacrifice which many don't seem to quite understand.

Reactions: merryheart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
D

Dukey

pulseworm said:

these verses dont say that people can be saved without the gospel....thats a common religious heresy....rather, the verses say that gentiles can be saved without the law (of moses)

Upvote 0
F

Foon Nerfdahl

What "law" do you think these verses are talking about, Dukey?

What are "the things of the law" mentioned in this text?

How could gentiles "instinctively do the things of the law" if this text were talking about the law of Moses?

Could one "instinctively" know the entire law?

No.

Paul talks about the law that Jesus gave........"Love God and Neighbor."

People can, and do, instinctively obey the law of Jesus.

And they do go to heaven because of what is written on their heart because their actions show that they follow the way of Jesus........be they Muslim, atheist or Jew.

Reactions: Gwynne
Upvote 0
D

Dukey

Foon Nerfdahl said:
What "law" do you think these verses are talking about, Dukey?
the law of moses

What are "the things of the law" mentioned in this text?
please be more specific

How could gentiles "instinctively do the things of the law" if this text were talking about the law of Moses?
because the law of moses is spiritually originated

Could one "instinctively" know the entire law?

No.
are you answering the question for me?

Paul talks about the law that Jesus gave........"Love God and Neighbor."
these two commandments are pulled from the law of moses

People can, and do, instinctively obey the law of Jesus.
jesus fulfilled the law of moses....if you read the first eight chapters of the book of romans, you will see that every reference to law is directly made concerning the law of moses....this is only basic theology

And they do go to heaven because of what is written on their heart because their actions show that they follow the way of Jesus........be they Muslim, atheist or Jew.
the verses do not exempt people from hearing the gospel....i believe that youve missed paul's message

Upvote 0

Gwynne

Dancin', dancin', dancin'!!!!!
Mar 17, 2004
Michigan
✟8,569.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dukey said:
because the law of moses is spiritually originated

That's debatable, to say the least. Many of the laws in the OT are related to health and sanitation, not spirituality. Others are related to inheritance and property, not spirituality.

If you love God and love your neighbor, the rest follows, regardless of the religion that you are.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.