Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(typing from an undisclosed location in hostile Yankee territory whilst on vacation)

"They kinda talk funny up here."--St. Hawgustine
Well, as Jeff Foxworthy once said, "Yew gonna be real surprised when yew come t'die, an' St. Peter says 'All right, y'all git in the truck naow, we goin' up t'the big house!"

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Josh
Are you suggesting there is something wrong with that?

Yes, if all you're doing is taking a literal, word-for-word translation. There is more to knowing God personally than just knowing the words in the bible. I think the bible talks to us on many different levels, since it is indeed God's word. We cannot begin to comprehend what it really means and what it really can do for us. A literal interpretation only talks on one level and not the rest. I believe that when an interpretter reads the bible, they should ask the holy spirit to open their eyes and guide their thoughts. The unity of the holy spirit working within us, and the words in the bible, create the "truth" we all talk about...The wisdom doesn't come from the words alone, but rather, in the unity of the reader and the holy spirit working in him/her as they read.

This book was created many years ago in a completely different culture...and even though it is God's word, it was created through human beings of the time. Taking this into account, a literal translation of the bible is not the answer. I believe that the book is a divine tool to help us see God more clearly and form a more personal realationship with Him. Through this we can get wisdom, and answers to questions not covered in simply reading and knowing the words in the bible. There is much more to knowing Christ than what is covered in the literal translation of the bible, and this guy's entire crusade is based heavily, if not entirely on the literal translation of the bible, which I believe can lead people astray by completely narrowing the scope of the vast wisdom and knowledge this book.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you want to see an understanding based on reading the Bible, and nothing else, read Neo's posts in General Apologetics. That's what happens when you reject any possible divine guidance in your understanding... which, in effect, is what happens if you say "Bible only, nothing else at all". "Bible and Holy Spirit only" is at least resistant to that particular mistake.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by seebs
If you want to see an understanding based on reading the Bible, and nothing else, read Neo's posts in General Apologetics. That's what happens when you reject any possible divine guidance in your understanding... which, in effect, is what happens if you say "Bible only, nothing else at all". "Bible and Holy Spirit only" is at least resistant to that particular mistake.

Seebs-

You are the freaken man, dude. Did you know I am collecting quotes of seebs...or rather, the Wisdom of Seebs :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Rising_Suns
humble joe,

good scripture! where is it?

Well actually, it's a conglomeration of bits and pieces of Scripture strung together, meant to satirize ridiculously poor examples of literal interpretation. ;)

I'm not sure what the exact verses are that were used to construct it.

Upvote 0

panterapat

Praise God in all things!
Jun 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟9,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Rising_suns,

To quote Thomas 'a Kempis, "I would rather have compunction of heart than to know what compunction means." Logic, reason, science, etc. have a long way to go in order to catch up with Truth. Faith is a catalyst which takes one directly to the source of Truth without supporting facts.

St. Augustine was walking the beach while contemplating the Trinity. He came upon a small boy running with a bucket from the ocean to a hole in the sand. He asked the boy what he was doing. The boy replied that he was attempting to empty the ocean into this hole. St. Augustine explained that this was impossible. The boy replied, "It would be easier to put the ocean into this hole than it would be for you to understand the Trinity.

Our small vessels (brains) cannot contain the enormity of God's Truth. Take a pail of water from the ocean, analyze it, and you will know something of the ocean. But there is much more to the ocean than you know.

You are in my prayers. May the Holy Spirit enlighten you and lead you to Truth.

In Christ, Patrick

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I LOVE Thomas a'Kempis! I read the Imitation every night before going to sleep! :)

I've heard the story of Augustine and the little boy many times, and it reminds me of the story about the venerable old priest who was instructing a young teenage boy who was coming into the Church. They had just finished going over the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist and the miracle of Transubstantiation. The old priest asked the boy, "Are you clear on this?"

"Yes, Father," the boy said; "I understand that the bread and wine literally become the Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus."

"And you don't have any questions, or concerns?"

"No, Father, I don't think so."

"You're sure you understand this?" the old priest pressed.

"I understand it perfectly, Father," the boy said.

"Well, I'm glad you do," the old priest sighed, "because I sure don't."

:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.