Roman Catholic; Questions about faith/practices. (RCC member responses only please)

Shiny Gospel Shoes

Nov 26, 2013
✟880.00
Faith
SDA
Roman Catholics; Questions about faith/practices [if you as an official RCC member desire to reply in this thread, please also feel free to inquire about mine own faith/practice in this thread, but only secondarily to responding to the intended questions, whether or not the return question is in the same reply is up to the individual, thank you!]

(RCC member responses only please. Ex-members (even if still on book records, etc), almost-members, schismatics, EOC, OOC, Anglican, Lutheran, etc, etc (this is not a general 'catholic' thread) please do not reply in this thread, but read if you want, thank you. Other faiths not RCC (includes atheism, agnostic, wiccan, etc), or other members of mine own faith, please also do not reply in this thread. "A special subforum where a thread starter can restrict threads to replies by members of a particular denomination only to discuss denomination-specific theology.")

If you are an official member of the Roman Catholic Church faith/practice, please help me to know, by either stating so in the first reply or by forum identification (generally icon) (as anyone not identified as such will not be responded to), thank you! Any such RCC member may reply, regardless of position within hierarchy or time within.

I am not now, but have been a member of the Roman Catholic Church.

I would like to ask a single question at a time (and if you desire a return question, please also ask one at a time), and responses may include reference links, but please do not post only links.

[Q1] According to the official RCC (I hope you do not mind the shortening) faith/practice, What is the "Mark of the Beast"?

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
[Q1] According to the official RCC (I hope you do not mind the shortening) faith/practice, What is the "Mark of the Beast"?

Hello Shiny Gospel Shoes, before I answer I'd like to say that when asking questions you are more than welcome to do so at the Congregational Sub-forum, the Catholic one being called "One Bread, One Body". In this section where it is open to all Christians, I don't think you can impose such a rule for this thread.

Right, to answer your question. As far as I am concerned, there is no official teaching on the exact nature for the Mark of the Beast. Apart from the Apostolic Deposits and Church Dogmas, no prophecies or what so ever are mandatory for good Catholics to believe in.

Although not strictly about the Mark of the Beast, there are teachings regarding the Antichrist. For an official answer, I will directly quote the Catechism most of us use:

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
The Church's ultimate trial (675-677)

Before Christ's second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.

The Antichrist's deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgement. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism, especially the "intrinsically perverse" political form of a secular messianism.

The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection. The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God's victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven. God's triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgement after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.

The section bolded may be in reference to the Mark of the Beast, however that is only my interpretation of it.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,414.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Roman Catholics; Questions about faith/practices [if you as an official RCC member desire to reply in this thread, please also feel free to inquire about mine own faith/practice in this thread, but only secondarily to responding to the intended questions, whether or not the return question is in the same reply is up to the individual, thank you!]

(RCC member responses only please. Ex-members (even if still on book records, etc), almost-members, schismatics, EOC, OOC, Anglican, Lutheran, etc, etc (this is not a general 'catholic' thread) please do not reply in this thread, but read if you want, thank you. Other faiths not RCC (includes atheism, agnostic, wiccan, etc), or other members of mine own faith, please also do not reply in this thread. "A special subforum where a thread starter can restrict threads to replies by members of a particular denomination only to discuss denomination-specific theology.")

If you are an official member of the Roman Catholic Church faith/practice, please help me to know, by either stating so in the first reply or by forum identification (generally icon) (as anyone not identified as such will not be responded to), thank you! Any such RCC member may reply, regardless of position within hierarchy or time within.

I am not now, but have been a member of the Roman Catholic Church.

I would like to ask a single question at a time (and if you desire a return question, please also ask one at a time), and responses may include reference links, but please do not post only links.

CCC 2113 Idolatry not only refers to false pagan worship. It remains a constant temptation to faith. Idolatry consists in divinizing what is not God. Man commits idolatry whenever he honors and reveres a creature in place of God, whether this be gods or demons (for example, satanism), power, pleasure, race, ancestors, the state, money, etc. Jesus says, "You cannot serve God and mammon." Many martyrs died for not adoring "the Beast" refusing even to simulate such worship. Idolatry rejects the unique Lordship of God; it is therefore incompatible with communion with God.

Upvote 0

saintboniface

Jan 1, 2014
✟15,501.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
(RCC member responses only please.

If you are an official member of the Roman Catholic Church faith/practice, please help me to know, by either stating so...

I belong to the Catholic Church. There is a latin rite (Roman) and an eastern rite. The Catholic Church sometimes refers to itself as Roman though usually the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church does not have an official interpretation of what the mark of the beast is. The Catholic Church only defines certain beliefs when they are necessary (for example, defining that Jesus was true God and true man, or that Jesus was really present in the Eucharist, etc). There has been no need to officially interpret what is meant by the mark of the beast.

Now I have answered your question. I have one for you:

How do you justify your use of the bible given the following: Jesus didn't hand out copies of the bible to the crowds, the books of the new testament were written decades or even a century after Jesus was crucified, there were numerous writings by the Christian communities in the decades after Jesus was crucified, the Catholic Church decided which writings should be included in a bible, and a Catholic Pope stated that the writings chosen were inspired by God. ???

Upvote 0