✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No. Not in the slightest.

You're most likely to hear the argument that it's 'the devil's music' from some extremist groups, but the vast majority of Christians, including the oldest branches, do not hold that the notes of a melody or rhythm chords are in any way sinful or demonic. That entire idea is absurd and rooted in issues far more complicated and that aren't Scriptural at all, including aspects which have some very nasty undercurrents (like racism). Those are all human problems and the listener projecting their displeasure onto the object and declaring it sinful because of their own tastes and prejudices, not because of anything with solid Scriptural or theological backing.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is something I've mulled over many a time. Is rock music sinful?

I'll be honest and say that if it weren't for rock music, I don't know how I would have coped with these past few years. I self-harmed, I struggled badly with many mental illnesses, and when I had nothing else to fall back on, rock music was what pulled me through. Sure, maybe to an extent it had a negative influence on me, but I was so lost at that point in time I think most things would have.

What I am really asking, I suppose, is: does rock music (the sound, the beat, the electric guitars, etc.) draw a person away from God? I'm not talking about the lyrics here, simply about the style of music in itself. Is it really the Devil's music?

Absolutely not. The root of this is from paranoid Christians back in the 1960's and 1970's that had no real basis theologically. Furthermore, how can the sound of something be wrong. Sound is nothing but waves of energy moving around in the air. Furthermore, the electric gutiars and other instruments are no different than the ones used in Christian bands and in church services. The beat is nothing more than making the waves of energy pulsate in a desired pattern (Christian music does the same thing). I am in a rock band and play bass. I used that exact same bass in my high school's chapel services. In fact, the reason I was asked to do that was because I had experience playing bass in a band. The only difference is the presentation. Rock music generally has more energy and some Christians apparently did not like that because they thought it would make kids go out of control. Again, that claim is based on paranoia about the unknown.
My primary choice of music is rock. One of my favorite bands is August Burns Red. If you heard them, you would have no idea that they were Christians BUT their lyrics say otherwise and the are.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Music is the universal Language-& Like anything can be used by man for his purpose good or bad-the same is true of Rock, Country, Rap Or any other genre.

So no Rock music is no more evil than any other.

Upvote 0

MasterpieceMesias

King of Stoic Cynicism
Feb 20, 2011
Somewhere away from people
✟8,602.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
IMO, it's the intent behind the music that determines its value, good or bad. My future son-in-law is in a Christian Screamo band. Not my thing, but he and all his bandmates love and glorify the Lord.

lol what is up with the sudden abundance of all of these Christcore bands??? Seems like since 2006 Christcore bands have been popping up like gophers.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
lol what is up with the sudden abundance of all of these Christcore bands??? Seems like since 2006 Christcore bands have been popping up like gophers.

Christcore? never heard that term before. Sounds cool, I'm going to start using that.

Upvote 0

BrickUponBrick

One Among The Fence
May 31, 2011
Missouri
✟7,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh. This subject. I think it's been pretty well taken care of by everybody else. Needless to say, no it's not.

My primary choice of music is rock. One of my favorite bands is August Burns Red. If you heard them, you would have no idea that they were Christians BUT their lyrics say otherwise and the are.

August Burns Red is amazing. Can't wait for their new album.

Haha, yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'm not complaining, I love some of them. But some of them lack originality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Krissakitty

Transsexual Wonder Girl
May 28, 2011
Kansas, USA
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rock music sinful?

Well, there are several ways we can approach this. The Biblical approach is that God made all kinds of music, but it is we humans who perverted them. There is also teaching in the New Testament concerning what's good for one not being good for others. If you can listen to old school Megadeth on your own with no qualms, but you've got someone in your car with you who is troubled by it, it'd be a good idea to turn it off. I can't remember the passage that I'm referencing, but I do know it's in one of Paul's letters (really narrows it down, I know).

At any rate, I use to joke that I have everything from Amy Grant to Arch Enemy on my Zune. I don't see any problem with any music one enjoys as long as it's not causing others to stumble.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoooma

Hating Living :(
Mar 15, 2010
Hudson River Valley, NY
✟19,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how many more times we will have this topic on here...
So what? If someone doesn't want to search for old threads where it's been discussed, it is their right to start a new one. And their question should be welcomed by people willing to be helpful in answering. A new thread can also bring new voices to the table. I don't think this is a topic that never needs to be discussed here ever again.

My view: what was the question? Oh yeah -- is rock music sinful? No.

But here's the thing -- the topics in the lyrics of non-Christian music are ones of the world. Occasionally there's drug use talked about. And this and that and there are just so many songs that are not exactly going along with the teaching of God in the Bible. A song I'm thinkin' of at this moment is called Me & My Uncle that the Grateful Dead used to play a lot. God's actually mentioned 3 times but in the song but there's drinkin', gamblin', cheatin', and violence including murder. Yet it's a fun song!!! But I don't think Jesus would think it's so fun.

But primarily, I think, the topic in rock music is love -- I want her, I lost her, I want to be with her, Mmmm she's fine, get over here and be mine, I love you, Baby, I want you back, love, love, love all day long. Actually I don't know if that's rampant on the radio in newer music but listen to classic rock and that topic will come up very often.

What's the problem? Hearing songs like that can get a person to dwell on love but we should never be dwelling on love. Wrong focus! The focus should be on God.

Non-Christian music can very easily help draw away one's focus and put it on things of the world. Listen, I know, we all live in the world. It surrounds us, we take part in it, we would have to go Amish to not have anything to do with outside influences. But even here in the world, God should always be #1...

1 Corinthians 10:31 says:
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
New International Version

Does listening to non-Christian music glorify God? My own personal feeling is no, not in the slightest. But is all non-Christian music bad in some way? No. Some is perfectly harmless with lyrics that are a story about nothing going against God or God's Word in any way whatsoever.

But the more you listen to non-Christian music, the more songs you undoubtedly will hear that have something bad in them.

Okay, I watch R-rated movies that have all of these things I'm talking about in music and much more. I love filmmaking, I love movies, I can't imagine a life without them. So I need to be strong in my faith to not let that garbage in the movies negatively affect me.

Unfortunately I think for a lot of people, that's easier said than done. Whether it's pot smoking or sex (or whatever) in a movie or in lyrics in music, outside influences can drive a wedge between a person and God. Too much negative influence can help someone fall quite easily. That's not good. When I listen to a bunch of non-Christian music, depending on what it is, I can feel it happening -- a gap is widening between God & me. One thing that fixes that is to turn that music off and turn on some Christian music that has the right message in each and every song.

So is rock music sinful? No. But it most certainly can be dangerous to a person's relationship with Christ. Don't be fooled that it can't. That's what Satan wants you think. His influence is real and it will be there. It's up to the Christian to recognize it and fight it and beat it down with a baseball bat!!!

Upvote 0

BrickUponBrick

One Among The Fence
May 31, 2011
Missouri
✟7,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure it's been said before, but music itself isn't necessarily bad. It's the message behind it. There are plenty of heavier Christian rock bands. For example, For Today and Sleeping Giant. Two hardcore/metalcore bands. The members of these bands also have ministries that they use to reach people and bring them to God. They put out podcasts and blogs (which I suggest people check out, but that's for another thread). There's plenty more "mainstream" stuff out there that's softer and whatnot, that, because of the message, isn't good, whether it's about lust, lying, murder, uses the Lord's name in vain, whatever. It's all in the message.

Reactions: Zoooma
Upvote 0

Beechwell

Glücksdrache
Sep 2, 2009
Göttingen
✟8,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
hey guys, quick question, off topic, or maybe on topic. What's the point of making songs like this one?
Looking at the lyrics (I can't understand a word they are singing/screaming), I would say they are asking the central question of apologetics: With so much evil in the world, doesn't that mean the allmighty creator-God must hate us?

Of course, with the typical metal-pessimism, they exaggerate a bit with how evil the world is, and thus how much a God would hat us.

Upvote 0