Robin Williams is dead at age 63.....

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
10612927_10152188434322721_3908660018866456332_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Robin Williams was suffering from severe depression and the temptation to end the pain can be overwhelming. This whole thing is just extremely sad and you're taking a shot at the Bible.
It's very tempting to take a shot at the Bible when someone immediately states that Robin might be in hell. I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings about something that would prompt someone to say that.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not many in entertainment had this guys talent, it just oozed out of his pours.

As is the case with what appears to be many highly gifted people of the arts, he struggled with addiction and depression for most of his life.

Sad to see him go like this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On

Thread has been cleaned up to remove posts following this mod hat that do not belong in this mourning thread. If you have something negative to say about Robin Williams, say it somewhere else. If you want to discuss whether or not people who commit suicide go to hell, discuss it somewhere else. This is also not the place to discuss whether or not certain people are worthy of our respect or condolences.

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Hey Wolseley, not seen you around for a bit. Hope things are well with you. :wave:

I was greatly saddened by this. And I have been trying to figure out why I feel angry and betrayed by his suicide. Best I have been able to come up with so far is that if a man who is as brilliantly funny as Robin can succumb to depression then what hope is there for a yutz like me? I realize this is an unfair thought since circumstances are unique to all of us but it is still what I find myself left with.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Wolseley, not seen you around for a bit. Hope things are well with you. :wave:

Thanks, Belk. :) Things are so-so. Got some aches and pains, and I'm not sleeping terribly well again (violent PTSD-induced dreams and insomnia), but overall, I guess things aren't going too bad.

I was greatly saddened by this. And I have been trying to figure out why I feel angry and betrayed by his suicide. Best I have been able to come up with so far is that if a man who is as brilliantly funny as Robin can succumb to depression then what hope is there for a yutz like me? I realize this is an unfair thought since circumstances are unique to all of us but it is still what I find myself left with.

Many people, and comedians especially, use their humor as a mask for the pain they pack around. We have a guy down at the VA like that---he's a hoot to listen to, but he's been through some horrific stuff, and he keeps the jokes going because if he doesn't, he will either fly into a rage or break down and cry.

From what the reports are saying, Robin Williams was hauling around a lot of baggage....he was suffering survivor's guilt because his close friends when he was a young, struggling actor, were all dead; he had substance abuse problems; he was despondent about his career being stalled; and he supposedly was in financial trouble. Evidently he just succumbed to the despair.

But take heart, Belk: simply because people sometimes take their own lives, that does NOT mean that you are. Look at me, I'm living proof. Three years ago, I wouldn't have given you a nickel for my chances---I was spending hours every night struggling with myself to not eat a gun barrel; and today, while I still have my problems, I am nowhere near the wreck I was then. The meds the VA has me on have done miracles, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Life imitates art. The outwardly funny man who is desperately sad inside is kind of a literary stereotype. But it really happens. He was one of the few comics I could honestly say was hilarious. It's just unspeakably tragic that such a talented man who devoted his life to making people laugh should be so personally troubled.

I don't believe in an afterlife. The one we have is all we get, and we should all try to accomplish as much as Robin did.

Carpe diem.

Upvote 0

aflower4God

observant petal
Jan 3, 2007
✟16,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This entire news of Robin Williams taking his life has really crushed me. I like him and he was a great actor. Depression is a SERIOUS illness as I suffer from it as well. I know the hurt he must have felt in some ways as depression affects everyone differently. Robin Williams was a really funny dude and he will be GREATLY missed! :( RIP to a WONDERFUL FUNNY MAN! My prayers are with his family and friends.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
When I graduated from high school, the motto on my cake was "Carpe Diem". While not necessarily Williams' invention, it was his performance, coupled with some other really awesome actors, in Dead Poets Society that really motivated me.

I loved watching Aladdin with my boy because of Genie.

I was amazed (and a bit horrible) at his turn at evil in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

The man could act, he could entertain and he could make us laugh and forget about the world for a bit.

I sure hope he's joking with God right now.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, Belk. :) Things are so-so. Got some aches and pains, and I'm not sleeping terribly well again (violent PTSD-induced dreams and insomnia), but overall, I guess things aren't going too bad.

Many people, and comedians especially, use their humor as a mask for the pain they pack around. We have a guy down at the VA like that---he's a hoot to listen to, but he's been through some horrific stuff, and he keeps the jokes going because if he doesn't, he will either fly into a rage or break down and cry.

From what the reports are saying, Robin Williams was hauling around a lot of baggage....he was suffering survivor's guilt because his close friends when he was a young, struggling actor, were all dead; he had substance abuse problems; he was despondent about his career being stalled; and he supposedly was in financial trouble. Evidently he just succumbed to the despair.

But take heart, Belk: simply because people sometimes take their own lives, that does NOT mean that you are. Look at me, I'm living proof. Three years ago, I wouldn't have given you a nickel for my chances---I was spending hours every night struggling with myself to not eat a gun barrel; and today, while I still have my problems, I am nowhere near the wreck I was then. The meds the VA has me on have done miracles, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Sorry to hear that it's been rough but I'm glad things are at least stabilizing if not actively getting better. Don't worry about me. I think the bulk of my depression is behind me. I was just describing my feelings that had come up. I wondered if anyone else had a similar reaction.

Hope things continue to be decent for you Wolesely. I'm rooting for you. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Marbleyes902

Aug 21, 2009
✟7,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I find truly sad about any of these kind of celebrity deaths, is how all the judgements come out. We talk about these people like we think we know them! All they are is entertainers, period. They are not great and wonderful people because we have some sentimental attachment to a piece of fiction they were involved in. People act like some friend died. Come on folks, wake up! Because you know some movie, or comedy routine that he was in, or because you read some article about him in a magazine, does in no way give you insight into what the person was like.
Bottom line is, if you actually do believe that the bible is the word of God. Then it doesn't matter what I feel about someone. Whether they be family, friend or total stranger, they are going to be judged by God. Not us. Be compassionate to those who have lost a loved one, but never let the truth of God's word ever be watered down by sentiment. Trust me, it won't be how entertaining Robin Williams was that will matter to God. But as of now, that is strictly between God and Robin.

I know what I believe personally regarding suicide. I can't say that God won't be merciful in these cases. God is just. What I am saying is, this is something we can only ever know fully, if we commit the act for ourselves. A risk I am not willing to take...... and yes, I do know depression intimately. I have most definitely been in that place where it seems I can't go on even one more day, however by God's grace I do. What I believe is what sustains me, not how I feel. The day I fully accepted that, was the day I discovered that, in my weakness, He IS strong!

Upvote 0