Rite Turn: 'First Baptism' For Transgender Man In Montenegro's Serbian Orthodox Church

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
ODGORICA -- The Serbian Orthodox Church in Montenegro has given a quiet and seemingly grudging nod to change this week with the baptism of a 19-year-old transgender man.

It appears to be a landmark first for the dominant religious institution in the tiny, conservative Balkan nation of some 600,000 people.

"For me, religion is love," the man, who was christened under his adopted name of Vuk Adzic at the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ in Podgorica on November 3, told RFE/RL's Balkan Service.

Adzic said his "secret" covenant with the church followed years of faith that was tested most recently by a brutal late-night beating at the hands of intruders at his family's mountain cottage, hinting at the violent disdain that some Montenegrins show for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.

"After the attack on me outside the threshold of the family home, I definitely feel that church is my only safe harbor, where I know I can always come and be accepted as a man," said Adzic, who grew up in the capital but spent summers with his late father and other family members in Matesevo, about 40 kilometers from Podgorica.

Rite Turn: 'First Baptism' For Transgender Man In Montenegro's Serbian Orthodox Church

• Optimistic
Reactions: ilovechloe

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ODGORICA -- The Serbian Orthodox Church in Montenegro has given a quiet and seemingly grudging nod to change this week with the baptism of a 19-year-old transgender man.

It appears to be a landmark first for the dominant religious institution in the tiny, conservative Balkan nation of some 600,000 people.

"For me, religion is love," the man, who was christened under his adopted name of Vuk Adzic at the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ in Podgorica on November 3, told RFE/RL's Balkan Service.

Adzic said his "secret" covenant with the church followed years of faith that was tested most recently by a brutal late-night beating at the hands of intruders at his family's mountain cottage, hinting at the violent disdain that some Montenegrins show for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.

"After the attack on me outside the threshold of the family home, I definitely feel that church is my only safe harbor, where I know I can always come and be accepted as a man," said Adzic, who grew up in the capital but spent summers with his late father and other family members in Matesevo, about 40 kilometers from Podgorica.

Lord have mercy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think the reporters' mixing the story of the beating in with the story of the baptism is irresponsible at best, probably deliberately so. It makes it seem as though it is the nation's religious belief that is somehow partially responsible for the beating, as though anyone in the Serbian Orthodox Church told those people to do that by saying that having a gay parade is a celebration of sinfulness. It is also a way to paint this anomalous baptism as an "incredibly progressive step in accepting and confirming the identities of those most vulnerable among us", even though the same report said that it was rationalized as by "medical necessity" (so it was not 'confirming the identity' of this person, unless I'm misunderstanding that bit).

Reporting from libertine organizations wants to make everything super gay. It's part of this "right side of history" narrative that admits absolutely everything within the narrow strip of 'progressive' issues so long as it erodes anything that existed before the mass realignment of Western societies beginning only about 20 years ago, because of course we all know in advance how history will go, since all of these supposed 'news' outlets can't stop telling us all about the future trail being blazed, as evidenced by these reports every time an ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP-person does basically anything.

And what a future it will be! I can hardly wait! "Brave LGBTQIA!+ Person Buys Eggs at Local Supermarket, Bravely Resisting Homophobic and Hetero-Normative Advertising from Evil White 'Jimmy Dean' Breakfast Company. Brave Brave Brave Brave Brave."

:sleep:

• Agree
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not in favor of affirming gender transitions. However, people who come to follow Christ come broken and far from fully sanctified. To deny someone who wants to die to himself or herself and follow Jesus a baptism is not in line with the Gospel.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not in favor of affirming gender transitions. However, people who come to follow Christ come broken and far from fully sanctified. To deny someone who wants to die to himself or herself and follow Jesus a baptism is not in line with the Gospel.
I hear you and agree. But then I read this from the article.

This is a woman transitioning to man. Which means the church in question affirmed the person’s desire. Yes indeed the church did the correct and loving thing to bring in and protect this soul.

I believe they erred in affirming a sex change in baptism.

Upvote 0