Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At some point yesterday, I checked my stats, saw that this post was exploding, and wondered why.

It didn’t take much to discover the reason – Heather Armstrong, aka Dooce, had died. By suicide, as it was confirmed later in the day.

It’s sad, and maybe a little shocking, but not surprising, if that makes sense. Not surprising, considering her life-long mental health struggles – serious mental health struggles with depression, body image and post-partum depression.

Dooce was the first of the big Mommy Bloggers and hailed at the time, as now, for her online rawness and honestly.

You might guess how I feel about that – online life is not real life, and the pull and demand to be “authentic” online is a deceptive drug.

I hesitate to even talk about that because it might seem like I’m drawing a connection between Heather’s mental health and her (for a time) very online life – because I’m not. I’m just saying that the place to prioritize and nurture raw and honest self-understanding is in real life, not online. Online life is never real life. It’s always curated and it’s a stage with an audience, and putting ourselves under the pressure of constantly performing before strangers is not what we are made for.

In short, as I wrote here,

Continued below.
*Removed link. One word of profanity*

Rest in Peace Heather Armstrong.

Reactions: WarriorAngel

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,002.00
Country
United States