Richard Swinburne - a maverick, or an example?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theophilus7

Sep 21, 2003
England
Visit site
✟8,472.00
Faith
Christian
Hello folks,

Continuing on the subject of Orthodoxy and philosophy (a previous thread):

I came across this interview with Prof. Richard Swinburne today -- a philosopher who left Anglicanism and converted to Orthodoxy over a decade ago. Perhaps you would care to read it, when you have the time. He seems to be talking openly about his relationship to Orthodoxy as a philosopher, and I found much I could relate to: http://old.foma.ru/english/index.php?issue=5&section=63&article=434. Since I believe in the importance of philosophy in combating secularism and living an intellectually fulfilled life, but have also been coming to value many of the things the Orthodox say about theology, spirituality, and the church, the link above gave me some hope...

But I wonder whether the Orthodox look on Swinburne as a maverick to be tolerated, rather than an example to be imitated?

Let me know your opinions, won't you? :)

Best,

T7

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Richard Swinburne seems to be a valid apologist for Orthodoxy and does not seem to be a maverick. I think he should emphasize the Orthodox teachings of essence and energies, also mention the Transfiguration, and the prominence of Psalm 103 in Vespers as some foundational Orthodox reference points to proceed from in scientific and philosophical discussion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.