✟40,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

Again, I apologize if this is the wrong section.. but there are so many sections it’s hard to pick.

I was reading Revelations 6:9 and was very confused by the souls under the alter.

why were they not at peace? Why would they be concerned about getting vengeance? Why would they be asking for anything at all? Shouldn’t they be at rest because they died knowing that God has it all under control…

I’m so confused…

Perhaps John is given a vision of Old Covenant saints who believe the prophesy of The Messiah Who would one day come to redeem them from death.

These all died in faith knowing and waiting for Messiah to come. But since they did not live to see the Messiah come, by grace through faith they are under the altar. The altar is the place of sacrifice for sin. Christ became our altar when He defeated sin and death. So these OT saints, through faith are symbolically under Christ, under the altar, but not yet ascended to heaven. Because none could go to heaven until Christ literally came and prepared a place for them.

Hebrews 13:10-12 (KJV) We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

We see these saints and many more again, but they are now seen in heaven before the throne, and before the Lamb. Salvation has come for them because the Lamb of God has redeemed them, so now they are no longer under the altar waiting for Messiah to come, but rather in heaven with Him.

Revelation 7:9-10 (KJV) After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps John is given a vision of Old Covenant saints who believe the prophesy of The Messiah Who would one day come to redeem them from death.
[...]
Revelation 7:9-10.

[...] Atonement, in the Fall. <-------> Passover, in the Spring.

Jesus is the Passover Lamb.

John 19:28-30 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now (teleo) accomplished, that the scripture might be (teleioo) fulfilled, saith, I thirst. Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put [it] upon hyssop, and put [it] to His mouth. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, He said, It is (teleo) finished: and He bowed His head, and gave up the (pneuma) Spirit.KJV
teleo = from telos; to end, i.e. complete, execute, conclude, discharge (a debt):--accomplish, make an end, expire, fill up, finish, go over, pay, perform.
This scripture:
Exodus 12:21-27 And Moses called all the elders of the children of Israel, and said to them, Go away and take to yourselves a lamb according to your kindreds, and slay the passover. 22 And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and having dipped it into some of the blood that is by the door, ye shall touch the lintel, and shall put it upon both door-posts, even of the blood which is by the door; but ye shall not go out every one from the door of his house till the morning. ... 26 And it shall come to pass, if your sons say to you, What is this service? 27 that ye shall say to them, "This passover is a sacrifice to the Lord, as He defended the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when He smote the Egyptians, but delivered our houses."LXX

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 6:9. John Baptist was beheaded. Other Christian people were persecuted and killed. Emperor Nero should come to mind. Romans chapter 12, Vengeance belongs to God. On judgement day, at end of millennium, the wicked are blotted out, turned into ashes. Read psalm chapter 37. These Christian people at the altar are asking for vengeance. No one gets away with anything.

Upvote 0