Responding to Credobaptist Proof Texts: Infants can't repent, therefore should not be baptized.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thus, would you agree that not every person in a household was necessarily baptized even though the text might say that everyone in the household was baptized?

No, I think everyone in the household was baptized, that's what the text says.

Why would that mean anyone was forced to be baptized against their will?

Let's say "My whole family and I went to a theme park." Well "my whole family" likely includes people of all ages, adults, teenagers, children, babies, grandparents, etc. Would you, therefore, conclude on the basis of what I said that anyone was forced to go against their will? Did we tie grandpa up and stuff him in the trunk and then drag him through the ticket booth? That'd be a silly assumption to make.

But it would be entirely fair to assume that everyone that is included in "my whole family and I" went to a theme park. That's what the statement means. And if there were very small children, infants, well they also came to the theme park. They were brought in with the rest of the family, because even if they can't fully understand what's going on, they are still part of the family and are experiencing that same theme park. We don't leave them in the car because they're too young to understand the whole experience; and neither does it mean we tied grandpa up and dragged him against his will.

The whole family went to the theme park. The statement means what it says and says what it means.

The entire household was baptized. Infants included. And no, grandpa wasn't tied down and baptized against his will.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No, I think everyone in the household was baptized, that's what the text says.

Why would that mean anyone was forced to be baptized against their will?

Let's say "My whole family and I went to a theme park." Well "my whole family" likely includes people of all ages, adults, teenagers, children, babies, grandparents, etc. Would you, therefore, conclude on the basis of what I said that anyone was forced to go against their will? Did we tie grandpa up and stuff him in the trunk and then drag him through the ticket booth? That'd be a silly assumption to make.

But it would be entirely fair to assume that everyone that is included in "my whole family and I" went to a theme park. That's what the statement means. And if there were very small children, infants, well they also came to the theme park. They were brought in with the rest of the family, because even if they can't fully understand what's going on, they are still part of the family and are experiencing that same theme park. We don't leave them in the car because they're too young to understand the whole experience; and neither does it mean we tied grandpa up and dragged him against his will.

The whole family went to the theme park. The statement means what it says and says what it means.

The entire household was baptized. Infants included. And no, grandpa wasn't tied down and baptized against his will.

-CryptoLutheran

Thank you for agreeing that nobody in a household was baptized without his personal consent.

Upvote 0