provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I fail to see how respecting people and their religious beliefs has anything to do with Universalism .

We're supposed to be more interested in conversion to the way, truth and life as opposed to condoning false religions which lead away from Jesus.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
We're supposed to be more interested in conversion to the way, truth and life as opposed to condoning false religions which lead away from Jesus.
I have friends who are Muslims .

I love and respect them for the persons they are .

Part of themselves is their religious belief .

I am not going to be lacking in love by failing to respect their religious belief .

When they invite me to their home I enjoy their hospitality , and am not going to enter as a Bible-basher .

I leave that approach to fundamentalists .......

the_crusades_2880145.jpg

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have friends who are Muslims .

I love and respect them for the persons they are .

Part of themselves is their religious belief .

I am not going to be lacking in love by failing to respect their religious belief .

When they invite me to their home I enjoy their hospitality , and am not going to enter as a Bible-basher .

I leave that approach to fundamentalists .......

the_crusades_2880145.jpg
That kind of sounds like you lack respect for fundamentalists.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it is possible to respect the rights of those of other religions without respecting the religion. If the religion is contradictory to one's own, how can one respect both religions? What about Satanism? Should we all respect that religion too?

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I have personally encountered enough anti-Catholicism during my life to know how hurtful lack of respect for a religion other than one's own can be .

My own experience , and the teaching of the Church's Magisterium , have taught me never to go down that road .

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm supposed to love my fellow humans, and try to point out where their convictions may be wrong, because the Truth ought to be known by as many people as possible.
This was addressed to Hindus. There is a lot of violence between Muslims and Hindus. At this point in history, Christians usually have enough tolerance for other religions to avoid physical violence.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This was addressed to Hindus. There is a lot of violence between Muslims and Hindus. At this point in history, Christians usually have enough tolerance for other religions to avoid physical violence.
Besides that, a Christian is not supposed to use violence.
I think i can even say a Christian does not use violence.

• Agree
Reactions: Adstar
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well - - There are exceptions, although usually carried out by lunatic fringe Christians, such as people who murder abortion providers.
Besides that, a Christian is not supposed to use violence.
I think i can even say a Christian does not use violence.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well - - There are exceptions, although usually carried out by lunatic fringe Christians, such as people who murder abortion providers.
I can't consider them to be Christians to be honest..
I mean, you will know them by their fruits.
That also means you will know the false ones by their fruits.
We're supposed to bless our opponents and turn the other cheek.
Pray for them, convince them (or at least try) or leave them alone (no casting pearls before the swine).
God will deal with the wicked.

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I fail to see how respecting people and their religious beliefs has anything to do with Universalism .

The challenge for me is learning how to respect and not just tolerate the beliefs of some of our separated brethren here. I wouldn't bother if the universal Church didn't compel me to.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's possible to respect what's good in other religions, and respect the fact that most people practicr them "in good faith," without being "universalist".

I think the Catholic Church does a pretty good job of recognizing that. It's one of things that attracted me to the faith. Prior to that, from the outside looking in, I found Christianity to be a rather condemning religion. The spirit of condemnation is still with us, hence I find the current spirit of mercy coming from the Vatican a refreshing change.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

If you do not respect people and their culture then you can forget converting them, all you will accomplish is to make enemies. Christianity has enough enemies already and for that very reason.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Peace and harmony will not result from members of different religions simply tolerating each other; respect and appreciation of customs and cultural diversity is required, top Vatican officials said in a message to the world’s Hindus .

Respect, don't just tolerate other religions, Vatican officials say - 24/7 Catholic News

Love your neighbour as yourself...love as God loved us...while we were yet sinners. God's love reflects back from us when we no longer judge anyone as good or evil(not what we are called to do and goes back to the wrong tree in the garden)...just love them no matter what...judging breeds animosity, not love.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.