Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'm continuing a thread here originally posted in the Creationism subforum, given that it has strayed from the "fellowship" rule there. The thread was called "Microevolution" and theoddamerican and I were in the midst of dicussing theistic evolution. Given the range of beliefs held by TEs, I hope others might join in the chorus here and express their views on the matter as well...
Then the definition of evolution is also wrong in pretty much all the online dictionaries and my own personal one. Could it possibly be that your definition is wrong?
Maybe you should tell them that the definition that they have is misleading.

I certainly wouldn't argue that all online dictionaries have defined evolution incorrectly, but many have. I think you should read through the definition of evolution from dictionary.com again, however. The first definition given relates to organisms becoming "more complex or better." This I take issue with. If you keep reading down, though, you will find:
dictionary.com said:
  1. Biology.<LI type=a>Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species.
  2. The historical development of a related group of organisms; phylogeny.
This I have little problem with. Since the type of evolution we are dealing with is biological evolution, it is likely the biological definition of evolution you should be referring to, not the coloquial one.
The definition of God from a secular source should be obviously disagreeable upon by a Christian if that secular source has never experienced God.

Likewise, the definition of evolution from a layman's source would likely fall short of a scientist's approval, don't you think? Dictionaries are great for defining simple concepts like "house" or "dog". Big things like "evolution" or "God" are harder to summarize in a sentence.
"Well studied" How can they study it when they have no evidence of evolution? Make sure you separate simple adaptation with evolution. The only observable form of 'evolution' is adaptation.

I completely disagree. This may be the only form of evolution you're familiar with (assuming you're equating adaptation with microevolution), though we've also observed speciation (read: macroevolution) occuring in the wild as well as in the lab. Google "observed speciation" and see what comes up. For starters:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

http://darwiniana.org/rings.htm#Rings
I have been giving you simple questions expecting simple answers.

Which questions of yours have I not answered?
I told you that all of the ape men have been disproved and had no reply. This is a known fact and has been disproved not by creationist but by evolutionist.
This is just a rediculous lie, which is probably why you got no reply. "All ape men have been disproved"? What do you mean by this? Certainly, there have been a few hoaxes 100+ years ago, but these were revealed by evolutionary scienists, as you admit. This hardly puts a dent the theory, however. We've moved on in the last hundred years, found more specimens, and have solidified the hominid phylogeny. I think most of the "disproved ape men" you're thinking of are well addressed here:
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html#CC
Could it be that when Christians first heard about this evolution thing they tried to match it up to the bible and didn't trust GOD with the way he inspired it. They also didn't trust GOD for his path of salvation.
This is just baloney. Are you implying that we are saved through a disbelief in evolution? If so, you wouldn't be the first creationist I've heard say that. If one thing is clear to me as a Christian, it that we are saved through a faith in Christ, not in a literal interpretation of Genesis. I trust even the earlier Christian scientists knew this.
The bible says repeatedly that death came into the world because of mans sins. Not because GOD is some idiot who wanted billions of years of death and blood.

We've had this discussion here countless times before, re: death before sin, so I suggest that if you want to persue that route, you search the archives first. You may also want to have a read through this informative article, which addresses the issue:
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2004/PSCF6-04Snoke.pdf
In a sentence, there's no way of being sure whether physical death entered the world via Adam's original sin, or spiritual death. It's an important distinction to make.
If this is all a figurative story on how God started this place then how do you trust the rest of the Bible? I truly want an answer to that question. I could care less about the rest, but I really want to know how you can believe this

The answer to your question is simple, but lengthy. I'll try to keep it short.
Firstly, you are creating falsy dichotemies where there should be none. The Bible isn't either "all true" or "all false." You have to keep in mind the books of the Bible were written independently by different, thousands of years apart, in some cases. If Genesis includes a mythological account of the creation of the world, why should that discredit, say, the writings of Paul???
Secondly, regardless of whether the Genesis creation account literal occurred or not is irrelevent to the teachings we garner from it. What spiritual lessons did God intend us to take from the story? That we should rest and honour God on the Sabbath? That we are God's favoured creation? That God is all-powerful? Or that birds reproduce "according to their kind"? The Bible was written so that we might come to know God and be saved through Christ. It seems to me the latter detail is unrelated to our salvation. The Bible speaks truth irrespective of whether every story contained within it is historically accurate.

Reactions: Redneck Crow

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Could it be that when Christians first heard about this evolution thing they tried to match it up to the bible and didn't trust GOD with the way he inspired it. They also didn't trust GOD for his path of salvation.

read:
_Darwin's forgotten defenders_
there is simply no necessary relationship between:
understanding the scientific theory of evolution.
trusting the authority of God in the Bible
and trusting God for the path of salvation.

you are conflating things that do not belong together.
you are making a scientific theory as important in theology as theological issues such as the authority of Scripture and the ordo salutis.
this is an immense mistake. it is the error of scientism, thinking that science presents a better epistemology than does theology, even in the realm of theology.

If this is all a figurative story on how God started this place then how do you trust the rest of the Bible? I truly want an answer to that question. I could care less about the rest, but I really want to know how you can believe this

this is the Adam must be historical for Christ to have raised from the dead argument.

isn't the error of this so obvious that it doesn't need explanation or rebuttal?
doesn't the issue of the death and resurrection of Jesus depend on the historical facts of the issue and not the historicity of someone living 4K years before?

why this need to conflate and lose important distinctions?

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
rmwilliamsll said:
this is the Adam must be historical for Christ to have raised from the dead argument.

isn't the error of this so obvious that it doesn't need explanation or rebuttal?
doesn't the issue of the death and resurrection of Jesus depend on the historical facts of the issue and not the historicity of someone living 4K years before?

why this need to conflate and lose important distinctions?

Because it makes for an awesome fear campaign, to be run in conservative Christian circles. People get genuinely terrified that non-YECism threatens the historical gospel events, and thus retreat to the safe fortress of YECism. Let's make sure we protect Jesus (as if he can't protect himself) by drawing a big "historicity" fence around him at a distance of 4000 years. Then nothing can possibly harm him, and we can all breathe a big sigh of relief.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.