Fort Wayne
✟40,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What happens when repentance is no longer available and it is taken away from us? Does that mean that we longer have the will to change our minds? Are we then just waiting for Judgement? The option that is given to sinners to repent is now removed (and I believe that is the Reprobate - I could be wrong)

I would like some insight on what you guys think.

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What happens when repentance is no longer available and it is taken away from us? Does that mean that we longer have the will to change our minds? Are we then just waiting for Judgement? The option that is given to sinners to repent is now removed (and I believe that is the Reprobate - I could be wrong)

Repentance from sin is available till you die.
Don't wait to start being an ex-sinner.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Conclusive

Apr 30, 2020
Ontario
✟21,385.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
We see this in Genesis 4 in the story of Cain and Abel. After God confronted Cain on the murder of his brother, God curses Cain for the remainder of his life on earth. We read Cain saying "Behold, you have driven me today away from the ground, and from your face I shall be hidden. I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whosoever finds me will kill me."(ESV) Gen 4:14
Other translations read "I will be hidden from your presence" or "You have banished me from the land and from your presence". Cain could never find repentance for his crimes against his brother. This is the reprobate. (You could go deeper into this with predestination theology) Nevertheless, it is not man's job to know, but to act and change.

Reactions: shortangel
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

As has been said the Christian never looses the ability to repent.
It is those who will not repent who loose the ability to repent.

You must have seen children who are so caught up in there anger that they will not in fact cannot say sorry.
It happens to adults, just more subtly, we get stuck in a way of seeing the world and that includes rejecting Jesus.
As you say eventually there is no longer an option of repentance.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Alynn

Jan 22, 2020
Fort Wayne
✟40,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God doesn't take the gift of repentance away from His children. or His Holy Spirit from them. we can grieve the Holy Spirit yes. but that is our doing.

Well I think I've grieved it to the point he has left me. I feel dead.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With 1 John 3:9 in mind..."Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."...It would seem as though the Spirit was never in you in the first place.
You are indeed dead...in trespasses and sins.
The cure?
A real, complete, and permanent "turn from" all sin.
Then, get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
Not only will you receive remission of sins, but baptism also provides for your crucifixion, burial, and resurrection with Christ so you can walk in newness of life..."Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." (Rom 6:4)
It is written..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
Newness of life without flesh(ly mindedness), vile affections, or lusts!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alynn

Jan 22, 2020
Fort Wayne
✟40,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With 1 John 3:9 in mind..."Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."...It would seem as though the Spirit was never in you in the first place.
You are indeed dead...in trespasses and sins.
The cure?
A real, complete, and permanent "turn from" all sin.
Then, get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
Not only will you receive remission of sins, but baptism also provides for your crucifixion, burial, and resurrection with Christ so you can walk in newness of life..."Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." (Rom 6:4)
It is written..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
Newness of life without flesh(ly mindedness), vile affections, or lusts!

Yes I believe that is what happened. But Now I am not sure if I can. There is no Hope. There is no desire. My heart has been hardened so I don't even think I could be genuine about it. Everytime I do it just feels like Lip service.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I believe that is what happened. But Now I am not sure if I can. There is no Hope. There is no desire. My heart has been hardened so I don't even think I could be genuine about it. Everytime I do it just feels like Lip service.
If there was no desire, why are you here?

People do what they want all the time.
Are you a "people"?
If yes, do what you want....and I pray it involves loving God above all else and loving your neighbor as you love yourself.

Upvote 0

Alynn

Jan 22, 2020
Fort Wayne
✟40,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there was no desire, why are you here?

People do what they want all the time.
Are you a "people"?
If yes, do what you want....and I pray it involves loving God above all else and loving your neighbor as you love yourself.

I guess it soothes my conscience

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
... My heart has been hardened so I don't even think I could be genuine about it. Every time I do it just feels like Lip service.
I've been there myself. Don't give up. The syrophoenician woman who was ignored by Christ didn't give up and was eventually granted her request and was praised by Him in the end. (Mark 7:24-30)

The following prayer worked for me in such instances:

O Master Christ God, Who hast healed my passions through Thy Passion, and hast cured my wounds through Thy wounds, grant me, who have sinned greatly against Thee, tears of compunction. Transform my body with the fragrance of Thy life-giving Body, and sweeten my soul with Thy precious Blood from the bitterness with which the foe has fed me. Lift up my down-cast mind to Thee, and take it out of the pit of perdition, for I have no repentance, I have no compunction, I have no consoling tears, which uplift children to their heritage. My mind has been darkened through earthly passions, I cannot look up to Thee in pain. I cannot warm myself with tears of love for Thee. But, O Sovereign Lord Jesus Christ, Treasury of good things, give me thorough repentance and a diligent heart to seek Thee; grant me Thy grace, and renew in me the likeness of Thine image. I have forsaken Thee – do then not forsake me! Come out to seek me; lead me up to Thy pastures and number me among the lambs of Thy chosen flock. Nourish me with them on the grass of Thy Holy Mysteries, through the intercessions of all Thy saints. Amen. - Anonymous

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

i have been there. what helped me was being reminded that once we are born again, we are sealed unto the day of our redemption. so unless we turn our back on salvation and reject Jesus, we cannot have committed the unforgiveable sin.

we are secure in Him, our salvation is too, unless we choose to forsake it or live in wilful unrepentent sin and never turn back/

that is why when we isn we must repent as soon as we can so if Jesus were to take us home we would be ready. He died for all our sins, past, present and future as long as we repent. if we have committed a mistake unintentionally and forget to repent (as opposed to wilful unrepentant sin) we are covered though

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums