Removing the laws of God- what does it really mean?

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Regardless of what you are using them for, that doesn't mean God has given them to you. God did not give us the law for "the conduct of the family into which [you] have been adopted." And again, you aren't obeying it. You may use it to try and keep order in your individual household, but that is separate from your life as a Christian. But, as far as Christians, who have been adopted into God's family through faith in Jesus Christ, we live by faith.

"Now, that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, the righteous one will live by faith.” Galatians 3:11
Faith doesn't negate any of what I stated.

So what is sin?

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The thing is, humans think they know what is right and what is wrong. They think that they can know what all is good and what all is evil.

This is the lie from the beginning. The idea that we can be like God.

The law shows us what is sin. It shows us we are sinful. However, the law does not make us good. It does not show us all that is good.

The Spirit of God leads us in what is good, and away from that which is bad. He can do that because He proceeds from God. Only God is good.

If we were to try and follow Gods laws on our own, we will fail because we don’t know all that is right and all that is wrong. We, by our very sin nature, will inevitably lead ourselves astray. We, by our very sin nature, pervert the law of God.

However, following the Spirit, He knows and He cannot lead us in the wrong way.

We cannot do both.

Either we lay aside our sinful nature and incomplete understanding of God and follow the Spirit, or we try and be like God by thinking we can know and understand His ways.

Only one way leads to eternal life. That would be following Him Who is Eternal.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think it has to do with not wanting to be bound with the curse that comes with intentionally trying to follow the precepts of the law.

This would be an effective strategy if these churches also rejected the creeds for the same reason (i.e. the anathemas in them)

all in all, this is probably where this is leading.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So sin is just mental. . .and we can cut 1Jn 3:4, 6, 9, 5:18 out of our Bibles?
No, we physically sin as well. But, in the context of what we are discussing here, we sin when we believe that Christians are subject to the Ten Commandments or the entire Mosaic Law. We sin when we believe the law has a role in our lives. As I have tried to layout with the verses I shared, the law has no place in the life of a Christian unless we are using it to bring an unbeliever to faith in Christ or showing Christians that God has not given it to use as a guide in our daily lives. Nothing needs to be cut out of the Bible. We just read things differently. Plus, what about all those verses I shared earlier. When are you going to address those? I already addressed 1 John 3:9 earlier.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, we physically sin as well. But, in the context of what we are discussing here, we sin when we believe that Christians are subject to the Ten Commandments or the entire Mosaic Law. We sin when we believe the law has a role in our lives. As I have tried to layout with the verses I shared, the law has no place in the life of a Christian unless we are using it to bring an unbeliever to faith in Christ or showing Christians that God has not given it to use as a guide in our daily lives. Nothing needs to be cut out of the Bible. We just read things differently. Plus, what about all those verses I shared earlier. When are you going to address those? I already addressed 1 John 3:9 earlier.
So what would be physical sin?

Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

GraceBro

Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So what would be physical sin?
C'mon. Where are you going with this? Sin is sin. But, since you are an advocate of Christians being subject to the Ten Commandments, let's talk about the Sabbath Day. This conversation we are having is taking place on the Sabbath. We are in violation of the Sabbath because we have started a fire (the electricity used to power our screens or cook a meal or drive in our car [Exodus 35:3]). Now, should we be taken to the city limits and stoned to death? That is the penalty for violating the Sabbath. You see where this is going? Adam and Eve were perfect and couldn't obey one law. We are living in these sinful bodies and you think we can uphold 10 to 613 laws? Is that what being a Christian is all about?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
C'mon. Where are you going with this? Sin is sin.
Yes, adultery, theft, covetousness, murder are all sins against the Decalogue.

And Christians are not free to violate the Decalogue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GraceBro

Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, adultery, theft, covetousness, murder are all sins against the Decalogue.

And Christians are not free to violate the Decalogue.
I see you ignored everything I just said and all the questions I asked you. But, that is not unexpected. Good luck with the "Decalogue" because it hasn't done its work in you yet. Grace and Peace.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think diverting focus from "the knowledge of good and evil" is probably good.

God didn't want us to eat the fruit to begin with. So focusing on that when teaching in an almost exclusive fashion will have inevitable effects on the congregation.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see you ignored everything I just said and all the questions I asked you. But, that is not unexpected. Good luck with
the "Decalogue" because it hasn't done its work in you yet. Grace and Peace.
The Christian not being free to violate the Ten Commandments was completely addressed.

Judge thou not, lest thou be judged.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Christian not being free to violate the Ten Commandments was completely addressed.

Judge thou not, lest thou be judged.
I didn't ask you to about being free to violate the Ten Commandments, lol. But, whatever. I am willing to be judged by that which I am making a judgment. God judged me. The penalty was guilty. The penalty was death. Jesus took it all. There is now no sin being held against me that will result in Him taking His life from me. Now, I live in dependence on Him to live His life in and through me not in dependence on the law. Grace and Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With the growing number of churches that are teaching God’s laws are a thing of the past citing arguments like “we are not under the law we are under grace” or “Gods laws are only for the Jews ” I thought I would create a post to examine what does the Bible teach us about the laws of God. If we remove God's laws what are we really teaching and what are we removing from our lives?

Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians 13: 5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.
According to scripture we should test ourselves to ensure we are in the faith.

What happens if we remove Gods laws? Is God’s character in Gods laws? If we remove His laws are we removing God?

God is Good:
Luke 18:19 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God

God’s law is Good:
Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

God is Holy:
Isaiah 5:16 But the Lord of hosts shall be exalted in judgment,
And God who is holy shall be hallowed in righteousness.

God’s law is Holy:
Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

God is Just:
Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect;
For all His ways are justice,
A God of truth and without injustice;
Righteous and upright is He.

God’s law are Just: Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

God is Perfect:
Mathew 5:48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

God’s law is Perfect:
Psalms 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;

God is Love
1 John 4:8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

God's law is Love:
Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

God is Righteous
Exodus 9:27 2 And Pharaoh sent and called for Moses and Aaron, and said to them, “I have sinned this time. The Lord is righteous, and my people and I are wicked.

God’s law are Righteous
Psalms 19:9 The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The decrees of the LORD are firm, and all of them are righteous.

God is Truth:
Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He.

God’s laws are Truth:
Psalms 119:142 Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth. Psalms 119:151 You are near, O LORD, And all Your commandments are truth.

God is Pure:
1 John 3:3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

God’s laws are Pure:
Psalms 19:8 the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;

God is Spiritual:
John 4:24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

God’s law is Spiritual:
Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

God is Unchangeable:
Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

God’s laws are Unchangeable:
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

God is Eternal
Genesis 21:33 And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.

God’s laws are Eternal
Psalms 111:7,8 The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast forever and ever, And are done in truth and uprightness

Considering God’s character is reflected in Gods laws, when we remove God’s law what else are we removing?

Yes, we are saved by grace (God’s gift) but what else does the Word of God tell us?

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

2 John 1:6 This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.

1 John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Mathew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

1 John 2:4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Mathew 19:17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Revelations 22:14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

God's commandments are found in Exodus 20

God bless
God’s law is Perfect:
Galatians chapter 5 verse 4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

God's law is Love:
Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
Love is greater than faith.
1 Corinthians chapter 13 verse 13
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Jesus is high priest now.
Hebrews chapter 7 ver

God’s laws are Eternal
Psalms 111:7,8 The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast forever and ever, And are done in truth and uprightness

Considering God’s character is reflected in Gods laws, when we remove God’s law what else are we removing?

Yes, we are saved by grace (God’s gift) but what else does the Word of God tell us?
With the growing number of churches that are teaching God’s laws are a thing of the past citing arguments like “we are not under the law we are under grace” or “Gods laws are only for the Jews ” I thought I would create a post to examine what does the Bible teach us about the laws of God. If we remove God's laws what are we really teaching and what are we removing from our lives?

Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians 13: 5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.

What happens if we remove Gods laws? Is God’s character in Gods laws? If we remove His laws are we removing God?

God is Good:
Luke 18:19 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God

God’s law is Good:

God is Holy:

God’s law is Holy:

God is Just:

God’s law are Just: Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

God is Perfect:
Mathew 5:48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

God’s law is Perfect:

God is Love

God's law is Love:

God is Righteous
Exodus 9:27 2 And Pharaoh sent and called for Moses and Aaron, and said to them, “I have sinned this time. The Lord is righteous, and my people and I are wicked.

God’s law are Righteous
Psalms 19:9 The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The decrees of the LORD are firm, and all of them are righteous.

God is Truth:
Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He.

God’s laws are Truth:
Psalms 119:142 Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth. Psalms 119:151 You are near, O LORD, And all Your commandments are truth.

God is Pure:
1 John 3:3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

God’s laws are Pure:
Psalms 19:8 the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;

God is Spiritual:
John 4:24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

God’s law is Spiritual:
Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

God is Unchangeable:
Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

God is Eternal
Genesis 21:33 And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.

God’s laws are Eternal

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

2 John 1:6 This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.

1 John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Mathew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

1 John 2:4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Mathew 19:17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Revelations 22:14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

God bless

God is Good:

God’s law is Good:

God is Holy:

God’s law is Holy:

God is Just:

God is Perfect:

God’s law is Perfect:

God is Love

God's law is Love:

God is Righteous

God’s law are Righteous

God is Truth:

God’s laws are Truth:

God is Pure:

God’s laws are Pure:

God is Spiritual:

God’s law is Spiritual:

God is Unchangeable:

God is Eternal

God’s laws are Eternal

God bless

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think diverting focus from "the knowledge of good and evil" is probably good.

God didn't want us to eat the fruit to begin with. So focusing on that when teaching in an almost exclusive fashion will have inevitable effects on the congregation.

Not only did He not want us to eat, He made it so we could not continue to eat. :)

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God is Good:

God’s law is Good:

God is Holy:

God’s law is Holy:

God is Just:

God is Perfect:

God’s law is Perfect:

God is Love

God's law is Love:

God is Righteous

God’s law are Righteous

God is Truth:

God’s laws are Truth:

God is Pure:

God’s laws are Pure:

God is Spiritual:

God’s law is Spiritual:

God is Unchangeable:

God is Eternal

God’s laws are Eternal

God bless
God’s laws are Eternal

Hebrews chapter 10 verse 1
The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.

Romans chapter 3 verse 20
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

The only thing I can see to justify is Love and Mercy.

Upvote 0