Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, more silliness is allowed. If you disagree look at the congressional science and technology hearings on global warming.

Which is irrelevant, since the criticism was not about the everyday politics, but a cheapshot at underaged "noncombatants".

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Which is irrelevant, since the criticism was not about the everyday politics, but a cheapshot at underaged "noncombatants".

OK. I honestly do not care enough about the topic to argue it with you. It is my opinion that losing a job over an insensitive face book post is silly. :wave:

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes she did. It reflects poor judgement. Her position is political and the standard of conduct is not the same as for an average employee.
Agreed. It's not so much about what she said as it is about the fact that she said it. No boss wants to sit around wondering "What will she say next?" when there are other qualified people who could take the job.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I LoveBeingAMuslimah, any innocent people, being killed in drone strikes are tragic and wrong. The person could be a child like this 16 year-old or a parent with small children depending on them. That's why there can be something wrong with drone strikes. President Putin pointed out the Western hypocrisy of opposing the death penalty for serial killers but shrugging of innocent people killed in drone strikes as mere collateral damage.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would agree, which is why I was so confused by part of the attack that hasn't been mention so far (I think):

""Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar,""

What exactly was that supposed to mean?

It can't mean they were dressed to pretend to be older than they are (to get into a bar), because everyone seems to agree they look like ordinary teenagers. If anything, dressing up for the occasion would make them look older.

So was the author suggestion they looked like barflies? I can't see that either. But given the insulting tone, that's the only conclusion I can come to.

Well... we need to be a little more clear here, as that woman that posted that piece on the Presidential daughters doesn't quite get it, women don't necessarily wear short skirts to bars. With the cocktail culture reemerging in the United States, often part of the distinctive menu of even high end restaurants, a woman can be drinking alcohol in anything from denim to an evening dress, a guy in anything from denim to a three piece suit.

Bryant's Cocktail Lounge | Best Bars | Esquire Network - YouTube

Chef Talk with Kyle Cherek - Katie Rose - YouTube

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Being religious doesn't magically prevent you from breaking social conventions, like never speaking publically of the First Family's children, or errors in judgment, like passing judgment on another's appearance.

True. But it's not something that would tend to come from a desert monk, a cloistered nun, or probably one of those twirling Sufi Muslims.

I think the Muslims term an interior jihad within the individual's own body and mind as "Greater Jihad."

We can be religious as form of performance or theatrics. Actually, now that I think of it, I did take a theater appreciation class that said theater probably was born out of religion, out of religious ceremonies. But I'm saying... God knows us--as individuals--better than we know ourselves. Being that... I would expect "illumination" resulting from prayer to bring awareness that your beef with the President's daughters really born out of your prejudice and dislike (if not hatred) of the President and the First Lady.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think it says alot about her feelings toward Obama. I mean, basically, she hates Obama SOOOoooooo MUCH that that hatred has spilled over to his children who did nothing wrong.

I'm amazed at how when one party is president the other party whips themselves up into a frenzy about how the president is "destroying America". It's amazing how America has been in a state of "being destroyed" for at least the last 50 years...

^_^ Excellent! I concur with the observations in that last paragraph too.

Honestly, people said some really mean things about the Clinton's daughter and people can say mean things about Republicans children too when a Rep. is in the White House.

I think sometimes grown adults are jealous of children too. Like the children of Presidents are all rich brats deserving of ridicule. But would you honestly want to be a teenager as the daughter or son of the President? I very much doubt I would.

It's kind of like being a crackhead unknown to the world at large. None of my sins or faults are blasted on headlines across the world. But if I was famous like Charlie Sheen (the dude is a bit crazy now) or the mayor of D.C. the whole nation would know. International news might know.

There is a freedom and privilege in the anonymity that comes with being unknown and having unknown, average Joe and Jane parents, rather than being the child of a world leader like the President of the USA. So, I don't envy the kids of Presidents. Although, after their parents leave the White House it does come with some perks via professional networking.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's possible that her ideas about modesty and proper behavior of children in public are religiously motivated, but yeah, I don't really see a connection. I just found it depressing that a grown woman had to pray for hours (and talk to her parents) to figure out she was in the wrong here.

I don't have a problem with hours spent in prayer, conversion, or a change of heart... all of which can result from not only hours in prayer but potentially decades spent in prayer.

The issue for me is deceit. Or playing one's part in the great public performance. I don't think she had a change of heart--no more than I think every faith healer in a big tent heals everyone miraculously--but like a faith healer she is aware of what a performance, how acting, how stock lines can prove beneficial for herself.

God does not simply enlighten you as to drunk driving being "bad" without a comprehension of why drunk driving is bad. Within yourself God can help you understand why it is you tell lies about a person you dislike.

Nonetheless, as humans we find it easy to lie to one another and we might even think standing face-to-fave with God we can lie and con God. But God knows the truth about ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tempest in a teapot. What she said was silly but she did not deserve to lose her job over it.

Well, the people who do social media for my company are vetted like crazy and know how to closely toe the line of the image the company intends to convey. I don't think it's any different for political assistants doing political social media.

If they don't know how to avoid social media firestorms, they need to have a different job.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The issue for me is deceit. Or playing one's part in the great public performance. I don't think she had a change of heart--no more than I think every faith healer in a big tent heals everyone miraculously--but like a faith healer she is aware of what a performance, how acting, how stock lines can prove beneficial for herself.
I agree. She only said she was sorry for offending people and for "Judging them in a way that I wouldn't have wanted to be judged as a teenager." I don't think she sees anything wrong with what she said or thinks that her view of the situation is flawed or problematic. She's only sorry that she said it publicly.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a problem with hours spent in prayer, conversion, or a change of heart... all of which can result from not only hours in prayer but potentially decades spent in prayer.

God does not simply enlighten you as to drunk driving being "bad" without a comprehension of why drunk driving is bad. Within yourself God can help you understand why it is you tell lies about a person you dislike.

Nonetheless, as humans we find it easy to lie to one another and we might even think standing face-to-fave with God we can lie and con God. But God knows the truth about ourselves.
As a "seeker" I think you have a more heartfelt understanding of these concepts than many "cradle" Christians I have met.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was hoping Meliah would whip out an axe and reverse the pardon :p

That would've been hilarious, and it would've gotten PETA all riled up, so I would've been all for it too!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the woman had merely stated her personal opinion on what she considered the proper attire for any presidential function, that would have been okay. I personally tend toward the formal, and I'd match the level of attire of the host of any event--in that case, as a man I'd be in a business suit as the president was.

Malia Obama was actually wearing her private school uniform. Sasha was wearing what most middle-class girls would wear to the mall. Well, come to think of it, the President was wearing his own normal work clothes.

A couple of other pictures of the event show the girls attentive and smiling:
Malia Obama Pictures - President Obama Pardons National Thanksgiving Turkey At Annual Ceremony - Zimbio
Malia Obama Pictures - President Obama Pardons National Thanksgiving Turkey At Annual Ceremony - Zimbio

She went too far attacking their moral values.

Upvote 0

ThisBrotherOfHis

Dec 17, 2013
On the cusp of the Border War
✟2,181.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The president is usurping congressional constitutional authority, the national debt just topped $18 trillion -- a 70% increase under this president -- our borders are leaking like sieves, the economy is being held together with bubble gum and baling wire ...

... and a Congressional aide can think only to bad-mouth the president's daughter, and the president's defenders swarm like buzzards around her still-warm political carcass? I don't know whether it is her or the venom-filled reaction that is more ignorant, in light of the list of problems I just posted. :doh:

banghead.gif

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The president is usurping congressional constitutional authority, the national debt just topped $18 trillion -- a 70% increase under this president -- our borders are leaking like sieves, the economy is being held together with bubble gum and baling wire ...

... and a Congressional aide can think only to bad-mouth the president's daughter, and the president's defenders swarm like buzzards around her still-warm political carcass? I don't know whether it is her or the venom-filled reaction that is more ignorant, in light of the list of problems I just posted. :doh:

banghead.gif

And yet, you've just spent as much time on it as anyone.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why do I find her religiosity disingenuous?

Really... you felt it your duty to publicly, attack in online print, the two teenage daughters of the President for not acting fake over a turkey ceremony? And the way you did it.

Full article: US lawmaker's aide draws ire over first daughter scolding

Did your time in prayer illuminate for you that your judgements and remarks merely stemmed from your own prejudices and biases against the President and the First Lady? No? I didn't think so.

The girls looked fine. In that I'm sure they were dressed in whatever ways girls of their elite socio-economic standing dress like at whatever school they go to.

I don't find acting fake to be a virtue. Serial killers do that. That's how they lure their victims. Respected men of society that beat their wives and get patted on the back in public by men and women alike do that. And recent news reports on Bill Cosby accuse him--essentially--of doing that.

Act. Acting. Actors. The art of acting is very important in American society. But in my view being is more important, a higher virtue, than public acting. Homosexuals that no longer want to remain in the metaphorical "closet" probably agree.

Was the woman really religious?
Personally, I would recommend looking at the words and actions of Jesus before sending an open letter to children.

A letter attacking the children and their parents. I see this as counter to what Jesus would do.

Perhaps prayer brought her back in line with Christ like behavior for her apology letter. Perhaps, she invoked god to garner sympathy and support.

I don't know the woman personally. It was her action that greatly disturbed me. I don't see it even remotely representing Christ like behaviors, or the behaviors of any other person's faith.

Just my non christian two cents.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
I LoveBeingAMuslimah, any innocent people, being killed in drone strikes are tragic and wrong. The person could be a child like this 16 year-old or a parent with small children depending on them. That's why there can be something wrong with drone strikes. President Putin pointed out the Western hypocrisy of opposing the death penalty for serial killers but shrugging of innocent people killed in drone strikes as mere collateral damage.

Thank you for being objective.

Just to clarify, my previous post wasn't directed towards you and I hope you didn't take offense to it.

I was more wondering at the media and the general public making such a big deal about someone scolding a teenager over what she's wearing....but not making as big of a deal when our president kills another teenager.

I felt the same way when Obama shed tears over Sandy Hook and the loss of innocent children while being the cause of the loss of so many young lives in Pakistan or Yemen.

Another one that gets me is how people basically idolize Malala Yousafzai but have probably not even heard about Nabila Rehman (only 5 out of 430 representatives even bothered to show up at the congressional hearing where Nabila and her family gave a testimony about the drone strike that injured 7 children and killed Nabila's grandmother.....with no explanation from the US):

Malala and Nabila: worlds apart - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

Upvote 0