RELIGION: Man's Attempt to Become Like God

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Where there is law, there is religion. I would also like to add that where there is law there is sin. Paul said, "Where there is no law, there is no sin" Romans 4:15. Law, religion and sin are all related.

All religions have one thing in common, they are all based upon law. Christianity is not based upon law. Christianity is based upon faith, not law. This is why Paul said, "By the deeds of the law (what we do) no flesh will be justified in his sight" Romans 3:20.

Satan convinced Eve that she could become like God if she would eat of the tree in the midst of the garden, Genesis 3:5. God gave the law, "Don't eat of the tree or touch it" Genesis 2:17. When Adam and Eve ate of the tree it was the beginning of religion. God's law had been violated and Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden. Man is trying to get back into the garden by works, laws and religion.

Most religions teach that salvation is faith plus works. Paul refuted religion when he said, "But to him that does no works, but believes on him that justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" Romans 4:5. Faith, not works, laws or religion counts for righteousness. Works, laws and religion are man's attempt to be like God and are not of the Holy Spirit.

Satan said, "I will be like the most high" Isaiah 14:14. This is probably what started the war in heaven. Most cult leaders try to convince their congregations that they are like God. They do this to gain control of them. You wouldn't want to go against God would you? In the Catholic religion the pope claims to be the vicar of Christ. Think on that for a while.

What is our position before God? Should we try to be like Christ? I don't think so. Paul taught that he was a sinner saved by grace. Our position before God is that we are the sinners and Christ is our savior. Displaying the merits of Christ by the way that we live is commendable but trying to be like Christ is not.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Where there is law, there is religion. I would also like to add that where there is law there is sin. Paul said, "Where there is no law, there is no sin" Romans 4:15. Law, religion and sin are all related.

All religions have one thing in common, they are all based upon law. Christianity is not based upon law. Christianity is based upon faith, not law. This is why Paul said, "By the deeds of the law (what we do) no flesh will be justified in his sight" Romans 3:20.

Satan convinced Eve that she could become like God if she would eat of the tree in the midst of the garden, Genesis 3:5. God gave the law, "Don't eat of the tree or touch it" Genesis 2:17. When Adam and Eve ate of the tree it was the beginning of religion. God's law had been violated and Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden. Man is trying to get back into the garden by works, laws and religion.

Most religions teach that salvation is faith plus works. Paul refuted religion when he said, "But to him that does no works, but believes on him that justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" Romans 4:5. Faith, not works, laws or religion counts for righteousness. Works, laws and religion are man's attempt to be like God and are not of the Holy Spirit.

Satan said, "I will be like the most high" Isaiah 14:14. This is probably what started the war in heaven. Most cult leaders try to convince their congregations that they are like God. They do this to gain control of them. You wouldn't want to go against God would you? In the Catholic religion the pope claims to be the vicar of Christ. Think on that for a while.

What is our position before God? Should we try to be like Christ? I don't think so. Paul taught that he was a sinner saved by grace. Our position before God is that we are the sinners and Christ is our savior. Displaying the merits of Christ by the way that we live is commendable but trying to be like Christ is not.

You have changed the meaning of Romans 3:20 by adding your own commentary. The "deeds of the law" are not "what we do" as you've said. The "deeds of the law" are all of those acts found in the old testament under the law that a person must do in order to be righteous. If we look at the example of the Virgin Mary, after she gave birth, she went to the temple to offer the sacrifice according to law of Moses for her ritual impurity, see Luke 2:22-24. Within Christianity no sacrifice is required for impurity because "the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed", see Romans 3:21, and "we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law", see Romans 3:28.

You are now repeating a very old mistake. You are at least bordering on -if not fully advocating for- antinomianism. The idea that there is no law at all and one can simply do what he chooses. It was an ancient heresy in the early Church that was soundly refuted by Jude when he said:

Jde 1:4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality...

The reason for your mistake is the same as it was back then, in that you are misconstruing the words of Paul:

2Pe 3:16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Should we try to be like Christ?
Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
— Matthew 5:48

Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.
— 1 Corinthians 11:1

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God is Love, so if we want to be like God/Christ we must be a Lover of everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All religions have one thing in common, they are all based upon law.

Your starting your argument with a false premise. Religion has nothing to do with law.

Religion-the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods

I’ve shown you this already, why do you continue to redefine the word “religion” incorrectly?

Christianity-the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices:

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is our position before God? Should we try to be like Christ? I don't think so. Paul taught that he was a sinner saved by grace.

“Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭5‬:‭1‬-‭2‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

“If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless. Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1‬:‭26‬-‭27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You have changed the meaning of Romans 3:20 by adding your own commentary. The "deeds of the law" are not "what we do" as you've said. The "deeds of the law" are all of those acts found in the old testament under the law that a person must do in order to be righteous. If we look at the example of the Virgin Mary, after she gave birth, she went to the temple to offer the sacrifice according to law of Moses for her ritual impurity, see Luke 2:22-24. Within Christianity no sacrifice is required for impurity because "the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed", see Romans 3:21, and "we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law", see Romans 3:28.

You are now repeating a very old mistake. You are at least bordering on -if not fully advocating for- antinomianism. The idea that there is no law at all and one can simply do what he chooses. It was an ancient heresy in the early Church that was soundly refuted by Jude when he said:

Jde 1:4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality...

The reason for your mistake is the same as it was back then, in that you are misconstruing the words of Paul:

2Pe 3:16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.
Paul makes it clear that "There is none righteous, no, not one. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:10, 23.

The law is what people do. Doing the law does not make anyone righteous. Under the New Covenant righteousness is by faith, not law, Romans 4:5.

The law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.

It appears to me that you are practicing Old Covenant law and religion that is under the judgment of God, Galatians 3:10.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
— Matthew 5:48

Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.
— 1 Corinthians 11:1
Are you perfect? The law is spiritual. It searches the desires and the intent of the heart, Hebrews 4:15. Are all of your thoughts perfect and without sin?

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
“If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless. Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1‬:‭26‬-‭27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬
The book of James was directed to law keeping Jews, James 1:1. Not to Gentile Christians. If you are Jewish, then the book of James is for you.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are you perfect? The law is spiritual. It searches the desires and the intent of the heart, Hebrews 4:15. Are all of your thoughts perfect and without sin?
No, I’m not perfect. That doesn’t nullify the command, though. It does, however, invalidate your comment.

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Your starting your argument with a false premise. Religion has nothing to do with law.

Religion-the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods

I’ve shown you this already, why do you continue to redefine the word “religion” incorrectly?

Christianity-the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices:
Christianity is a New Covenant faith. The Old Covenant of laws, rules and religion was crucified with Christ, Colossians 2:14.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Paul makes it clear that "There is none righteous, no, not one. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:10, 23.

The law is what people do. Doing the law does not make anyone righteous. Under the New Covenant righteousness is by faith, not law, Romans 4:5.

The law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.

It appears to me that you are practicing Old Covenant law and religion that is under the judgment of God, Galatians 3:10.

Let's take a look at Romans 4:5:

Rom 4:5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,

It says "to him who does not work". What work? What "works of the law"? The writer is referring to those old testament "works" of the law of Moses. Leviticus is filled with them and Christianity has never taught that Christians are required to do any of them. We don't offer turtle doves, we don't wash our clothes as a means of ritual purification, we don't do any of those "works of the law". You want to now change that to mean anything at all. And in doing that you are directly contradicting the entirety of the new testament. It's as if you'd have us believe that Jesus sent his apostles into the world to say "keep up the good work. Don't change a thing". That isn't true. What Jesus actually said to his apostles was go out into the world:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Now, am I supposed to listen to you and your misguided views on Paul, or am I to listen to what Jesus said?

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Let's take a look at Romans 4:5:

Rom 4:5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,

It says "to him who does not work". What work? What "works of the law"? The writer is referring to those old testament "works" of the law of Moses. Leviticus is filled with them and Christianity has never taught that Christians are required to do any of them. We don't offer turtle doves, we don't wash our clothes as a means of ritual purification, we don't do any of those "works of the law". You want to now change that to mean anything at all. And in doing that you are directly contradicting the entirety of the new testament. It's as if you'd have us believe that Jesus sent his apostles into the world to say "keep up the good work. Don't change a thing". That isn't true. What Jesus actually said to his apostles was go out into the world:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Now, am I supposed to listen to you and your misguided views on Paul, or am I to listen to what Jesus said?
Anything in the Bible that tells us to do something or not to do something is law. Under the New Covenant Christians are not motivated by laws, rules or religion, they are motivated by the Holy Spirit, who is their teacher and their guide, John 16:13-14.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Anything in the Bible that tells us to do something or not to do something is law. Under the New Covenant Christians are not motivated by laws, rules or religion, they are motivated by the Holy Spirit, who is their teacher and their guide, John 16:13-14.
No more laws? Where does it say that?

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
No more laws? Where does it say that?
You should know and believe that the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15, Jesus nailed it to his Cross, Colossians 2:14. To be under the law or subject to it is to under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Under the New Covenant "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

So just what parts of the bible are we to believe and what parts are we not to believe?

Upvote 0