Not open for further replies.

Debbi

Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,863.00
Faith
Protestant
How close does God really want to be to his children? Is it possible to feel God's love and presence? Is it possible to feel his touch? I'm new at this posting stuff. I can quote the scripture but I have trouble knowing God is real to me and really loves me. Any suggestions on getting closer to God? I had bad experiences with my earthly dad when I was growing up. How is it possible to have a good relationship with the Heavenly Father? People walked out on me and abused me, will God walk out on me too since I'm such a misfit?

debbi

SlowRoasted

Aug 29, 2003
Macon, Georgia
✟16,436.00
Faith
Christian
God promises us many times in the Bible that he will always be waiting there for us, we just have to make the choice to come to him. His love is perfect, perfect love is something we cannot fathom, we have no idea how much God loves us. My advice to you is to read your bible and find out how much God loves us for yourself.

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I suffered child abuse as a young child but regarding my relationship to the maker of heaven and earth in comparison to my earthly parents forms no true comparison for me. My parents were blinded by the corruption of sin yet God is of sinless nature. When God the Father looks upon me he sees me through Jesus colored glasses. Look to Jesus in his perfected state and grasp the Love of God the Father for his Son and this is how He sees us.

Upvote 0

BenDare

Oct 4, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟190.00
Faith
Christian
Debbi said:
How close does God really want to be to his children? Is it possible to feel God's love and presence? Is it possible to feel his touch? I'm new at this posting stuff. I can quote the scripture but I have trouble knowing God is real to me and really loves me. Any suggestions on getting closer to God? I had bad experiences with my earthly dad when I was growing up. How is it possible to have a good relationship with the Heavenly Father? People walked out on me and abused me, will God walk out on me too since I'm such a misfit?

debbi
"How close does God want to be with His children?" The reason for the Bible is to express His desire to be close with Him. As if the written Word were not adequate (because we often do not read and we frequently misunderstand), "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." Jesus said, "He that has seen me has seen the Father." He taught us to relate to God as "our Father" , to love Him, not to be afraid of Him. None of us is ever worthy of such intimacy, but God's grace reaches to draw us ever closer to Him.

Upvote 0

Ragman

Mar 8, 2003
Visit site
✟302.00
Faith
Christian
Debbi said:

debbi
Debbi:

Great Question! I appreciate your honesty. The truth is that most Christians all experience exactly what you are experiencing. We all have a difficult time taking the words of scripture and feeling them and experiencing them in the depths of our soul. Each of us for our own reasons.

The good news is that the "getting closer" to God that you desire has already been accomplished. It is not your responsibility to get closer to God. Eph. 1 tells us that you are the daughter that God has always wanted. Every true quality about you God has chosen and takes delight in. And the faults that loom so large in front of us, are miniscule in light of the great pleasure our Father feels for you.

However, from your post you don't just want to be "told" that you are close to God, you want to experience His pleasure and delight that He takes in you. That is why Paul prays in Eph. that "the eyes of our understanding would be enlightened" and that we "may be able with all of the saints to comprehend what is the breadth, and length, and depths and height of the love of God and to know that love which passes all understanding that you might be filled with the fullness of God..."

What this means is that something is remarkably true about us in our relationship with God, but that we don't really know it.

The short answer is that God is so committed to you knowing His unconditional love for you that His Son became exactly what you are that He could share the relationship He has with His Father with you. The result is the way the Father feels about His Son, He feels about you! You are the daughter He has always wanted. This is the gospel.

We can discuss further if you are interested.

RM

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Debbi said:

debbi
You can crawl up on his lap and call Him Daddy, that's how close you can be with Him!

I have a great book on the subject of getting close to God when you're own father failed you. PM me with your address and I will send it to you.

Upvote 0

Debbi

Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,863.00
Faith
Protestant
I have read alot of counselling books. Ever read, "A Dad Who Will Love You" by Bill Ritchie? That was a really good book about a relationship with God but I want to know God, not just about him. I read the scriptures, even can quote alot of them. I know that God loves the world but there are 6 billion people here and I want him to know me, too and not be lost in the crowd. It is one thing to know about God that he is way out there in the cosmos and sends good things to good people but it is another thing to know him personally and have a relationship with Him. Or to feel his arms wrapped around me sometimes and tell me that He loves me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.