✟15,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, sorry for the long post

I am a 22 year-old girl who recently graduated from college. One of my best friends is a guy I have known since I was eleven years old. We have been there for one another through every part of our lives from graduations and middle school dances and family problems, just about everything. He was also the person I would say who had the strongest impact on my faith and helping me grow in it and guiding me closer to God.

But, this boy was also my first crush and over time I'm not sure if my crush on him went away or was just buried by thinking I would never be with him, but for several years, I was content with us just being friends and liked the way our friendship was.

We went to middle and high school together but when it came time for college, although he tried to persuade me to go to the school he was going to, we ended up at schools about two hours apart. At first our friendship seemed to drift a part a bit just because we had been so used to seeing each other everyday that now not seeing each other at all was a bit hard to get used to. but, I would say about 6-8 months in we were texting every day and often speaking on the phone and planning our trips back home at the same time so we could see one another.

Sometime during then my crush started to grow again and fast forward to our second year of college (spring 2017), he came to visit at my university and he kissed me and said he was torn because he wanted to be with me but didn't think it would work because of the distance. Despite saying it wouldn't work he started visiting me more often and inviting me to visit him. He kissed me several times during these visits and would write me letters saying how I was the most important person in his life and how he couldn't imagine life without me.

But then spring break 2018 I went to visit him, probably the best day we spent together and had so much fun and he opened up to me even more when I thought our connection couldn't get any deeper. But then I left and when I got home he called me and said "I'm so sorry if I have been leading you on, but I will never love you as more than a friend." He stayed on the phone with me for an hour saying he couldn't hang up until he knew I was okay, and prayed for me and for our families and for us to both grow closer to one another every day.

As you can imagine, I was completely blindsided. I was heart-broken and absolutely devastated. I tried to text him, call him but heard nothing for him for two months, texting me a long message full of his regrets and apologies but no explanation for what he'd done. I didn't respond and we continues not to have any contact until fall of 2018 where we ran into each other at a party. As much as I hate to admit it, the moment I saw him all my feelings came right back and all the hurt he'd caused me turned to forgiveness. ever since then we've been texting (not super frequently he's always been bad at texting) and went out for coffees over winter break.

He still won't acknowledge the fact anything ever happened at treats me like we've just always been friends. But, since our reunion I have spoken with mutual friends of ours who all say he really does have feelings for me but is just scared because I am getting so settled into the place I am with work and looking for a house and so many other things while he is studying to become a doctor and has so much school left and doesn't know where the next several years will take him for medical school, etc.

I've prayed about him and our situation so much and I just don't know what to do. I keep asking God to lead my heart away from him if he's not meant to be my future husband, but no matter if I don't see him or talk to him or go on dates with anyone else my feelings for him are unwavering and have been for years. it's very painful to love someone who your not sure you'll ever even have a shot a relationship with, much less a life together, but I don't know how else to handle it anymore. I have gone on dates with other people, gone through seasons where I just focus on myself and my relationship with God and spend free time in prayer and in the Word and no matter what I've kept loving him continuously.

Any advice for what else to do or anyone going through anything similar?

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, sorry for the long post

I am a 22 year-old girl who recently graduated from college. One of my best friends is a guy I have known since I was eleven years old. We have been there for one another through every part of our lives from graduations and middle school dances and family problems, just about everything. He was also the person I would say who had the strongest impact on my faith and helping me grow in it and guiding me closer to God.

But, this boy was also my first crush and over time I'm not sure if my crush on him went away or was just buried by thinking I would never be with him, but for several years, I was content with us just being friends and liked the way our friendship was.

We went to middle and high school together but when it came time for college, although he tried to persuade me to go to the school he was going to, we ended up at schools about two hours apart. At first our friendship seemed to drift a part a bit just because we had been so used to seeing each other everyday that now not seeing each other at all was a bit hard to get used to. but, I would say about 6-8 months in we were texting every day and often speaking on the phone and planning our trips back home at the same time so we could see one another.

Sometime during then my crush started to grow again and fast forward to our second year of college (spring 2017), he came to visit at my university and he kissed me and said he was torn because he wanted to be with me but didn't think it would work because of the distance. Despite saying it wouldn't work he started visiting me more often and inviting me to visit him. He kissed me several times during these visits and would write me letters saying how I was the most important person in his life and how he couldn't imagine life without me.

But then spring break 2018 I went to visit him, probably the best day we spent together and had so much fun and he opened up to me even more when I thought our connection couldn't get any deeper. But then I left and when I got home he called me and said "I'm so sorry if I have been leading you on, but I will never love you as more than a friend." He stayed on the phone with me for an hour saying he couldn't hang up until he knew I was okay, and prayed for me and for our families and for us to both grow closer to one another every day.

As you can imagine, I was completely blindsided. I was heart-broken and absolutely devastated. I tried to text him, call him but heard nothing for him for two months, texting me a long message full of his regrets and apologies but no explanation for what he'd done. I didn't respond and we continues not to have any contact until fall of 2018 where we ran into each other at a party. As much as I hate to admit it, the moment I saw him all my feelings came right back and all the hurt he'd caused me turned to forgiveness. ever since then we've been texting (not super frequently he's always been bad at texting) and went out for coffees over winter break.

He still won't acknowledge the fact anything ever happened at treats me like we've just always been friends. But, since our reunion I have spoken with mutual friends of ours who all say he really does have feelings for me but is just scared because I am getting so settled into the place I am with work and looking for a house and so many other things while he is studying to become a doctor and has so much school left and doesn't know where the next several years will take him for medical school, etc.

I've prayed about him and our situation so much and I just don't know what to do. I keep asking God to lead my heart away from him if he's not meant to be my future husband, but no matter if I don't see him or talk to him or go on dates with anyone else my feelings for him are unwavering and have been for years. it's very painful to love someone who your not sure you'll ever even have a shot a relationship with, much less a life together, but I don't know how else to handle it anymore. I have gone on dates with other people, gone through seasons where I just focus on myself and my relationship with God and spend free time in prayer and in the Word and no matter what I've kept loving him continuously.

Any advice for what else to do or anyone going through anything similar?
I can relate, I recently went through a similar experience with one of my guy friends.But along the way, I saw red flags and decided it would be bad to jump into a relationship because we both had issues we needed to work in.We decided to remain friends, but over time our friendship has faded, and I have just decided to accept it and move on.A way that is helping me is knowing really that my desire for a relationship will not be fulfilled by a man alone, but my relationship with God must be first if I even want to have a successful relationship in the future.I had went and tried to keep everything together with me and my friend, but over time I realized that it was not going to work, no matter if either one of us want it.The best thing you can do now is work on your issues, and focus on your relationship with Christ.You have to trust that everything is according to God's plan, and that God will send the man for you in due time.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I had a female friend that was in a similar situation to yours. She had a crush on a childhood friend and he strung her along for years. They grew up together and she was more or less his reliable "fall back girl". He would go out with a girl, have intimate relationships, whine and cry to her about how terrible these girls were, break up with them, rebound with her for a few weeks, then say, "Sorry, we should just be friends..." then find a different girlfriend, spend about a year with her, then break up, then rebound with her for a few weeks...

This pattern held for years until one day he decided they should be boyfriend and girlfriend. Finally, she got her way... or did she? They lived together for 7 years, she wanted to get married, he kept stringing her along. During this time he wasn't very romantic, why would he need to be?

The hard difficult truth for her to face was that she was just convenient for him.

I asked her, "Don't you deserve to be loved like you want to be loved? Don't you deserve a guy who sweeps you off your feet, writes you poetry, surprises you with flowers, can't wait to come home to you???" I then told her, "Every day you are with this guy is another day you can run into Mr. Right but Mr. Right can't pursue you because you are taken..."

After 3 months worth of my counseling she broke up with him, moved out. WIthin 6 months a guy who was SUPER into her came along and swept her off her feet. 1 year later they were married a year after that they had a kid... 10 years later they have 3 kids and are happily married still...

Childhood connections are very powerful but they are not always meant to be.

Yes, you love him. Truth is, you will always love him. That is just the way certain connections are. That doesn't mean you can't love someone else and move on.

I would say you deserve to be loved the way you want to be loved. Don't settle for the emotional scraps someone tosses you like discarded food from the table that falls off a plate onto the floor...

I feel that when we are in these sorts of situations we can't help but make excuses...

Don't

Look the truth square in the eye. The truth is, he is not the man for you. Yes you love him but so what? Yes, that's right. So. What. The fact of the matter is, he doesn't love you the way you want him to and he never ever EVER will. So move on to someone that will.

You need to completely cut ties with this person and move on.

Don't be some sad version of "rebound girl".. his trusty fall back plan available at a moments notice whenever he needs you.

I have a movie recommendation for you, trust me, this is the perfect movie for you. It's Called "The Holiday"

holiday movie cover.jpg

Seriously, you need to watch this movie and if you have seen it, watch it again

• Winner
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0