United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello!:wave:

I have been studying reformed theology and reformed Baptists and have a few questions.

1. It seems that many Reformed Christians do not consider reformed Baptists as actually reformed. What do you say about this?

2. One belief of reforme Baptists is New Covenant Theology which states that we are now under the law of Christ and not the law of Moses, so the 10 Commandments do not apply to us as Christians. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

3. How fundamental is New Covnenant Theology to the Reformed Baptist? Can one disagree with it and still be considered a Reformed Baptist

4. What about eschatology?
Would most RBs be amillennial or premillennial? What about Israel?

I agree that Jesus is true Israel and that those who are saved are part of Israel, but at the same time I believe God is still not done with national Israel and that Israel will be saved. (The majority of the population will he Christian, not necessarily literally all of the people.)

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Howdy!

I have been studying reformed theology and reformed Baptists and have a few questions.
Though I don't consider myself a Reformed Baptist, I disagree with them on a few issues, I am very familiar with them and will do my best to answer your questions. I am very glad you are asking them. Many make assumptions based on a faulty understanding.

1. It seems that many Reformed Christians do not consider reformed Baptists as actually reformed. What do you say about this?
Reformed Baptists are in the Reformed tradition. What that means is that they hold to the five solas and a covenant theology. Those who do not consider them Reformed are usually Presbyterian and differ with Baptists in their view of covenant theology and church government. If you read both the Westminster Confession and the 1689 London Baptist Confession you will find a great deal of similarities if not word for word duplications. Yet there are differences. One would be that the Baptists do not hold to "necessary consequence" as that is where the Presbyterians get their infant baptism from but do hold to the implied teachings of the Scriptures.

2. One belief of reforme Baptists is New Covenant Theology which states that we are now under the law of Christ and not the law of Moses, so the 10 Commandments do not apply to us as Christians. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.
New Covenant theology is actually a very new view started just a few years ago and is still taking shape. What most Reformed Baptists hold to is a different covenant theology than Presbyterians. It would take a long post to show the differences but Baptist covenant theology differs in our view of how the different covenants in the Scriptures are understood and revealed. We believe that all of the covenants are a progressive revelation of the eternal covenant of grace made between the persons of the Godhead before the world began. We believe that the New Covenant is the consummation of that covenant. A good place to read on these things is Pink's work on the covenants which you can find here:
http://pbministries.org/books/pink/Divine_Covenants/index.htm

You can also read "The Distinctiveness of Baptist Covenant Theology" by Pascal Denault which is not long and easily found for Amazon Kindle or E-pub.

3. How fundamental is New Covnenant Theology to the Reformed Baptist? Can one disagree with it and still be considered a Reformed Baptist
Yes you can disagree and still be considered a Reformed Baptist by many but there will be some who will not consider you one. But remember that New Covenant theology is not normally believed among them either but Baptist Covenant theology. The thing that normally sets one apart as a Reformed Baptist is TULIP, or Calvinist soteriology, and the Scriptures being the sole authority on matters of faith and practice. You will find that most Reformed Baptist do detailed expository preaching rather than topical preaching.

4. What about eschatology?
Would most RBs be amillennial or premillennial? What about Israel?
Most Reformed Baptists are amil but some are premil just not Dispensational premil. They would be more of historical premil. Still some others are postmil. Reformed Baptists are not normally Dispensational in their theology.

As far as Israel most believe that the whole of the elect, both in the Old and New Testament, are the Israel of God. We believe in a spiritual Israel not a physical one. The physical decendents of Abraham are a typical people only.

I agree that Jesus is true Israel and that those who are saved are part of Israel, but at the same time I believe God is still not done with national Israel and that Israel will be saved. (The majority of the population will he Christian, not necessarily literally all of the people.)
A view held by many. Hope that I have answered your questions. If you need more or clarification I will do my best to give you what you need. There are others here as well who are very capable of giving you the answers that you seek.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm a Reformed Baptist, aka Particular Baptist. 1689r all the way. I even tend toward resting on Sunday's, not buying or selling...having the occasional beer or whiskey.

baptist-cowboy.png

Upvote 0