Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
The secular view that the truly loving thing is to say that all beliefs are equal - it's amazing how extremely self-loving that view is when you follow it further.
I had one woman say to me "Jesus, Allah, Buddha, they're all the same God."
I wonder if she would be willing to go to the local mosque and tell the Muslims there that Buddha is equal in worth to Allah, or to a Buddhist monk and tell him he follows basically the same principles as Islam. Somehow, I don't think they'd say "Wow, what a loving, insightful comment! I totally agree."

Mim

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had one woman say to me "Jesus, Allah, Buddha, they're all the same God." I wonder if she would be willing to go to the local mosque and tell the Muslims there that Buddha is equal in worth to Allah, or to a Buddhist monk and tell him he follows basically the same principles as Islam. Somehow, I don't think they'd say "Wow, what a loving, insightful comment! I totally agree."

Were you offended by her comment? It's possible she really believes that. I did and I've studied and practiced most major religions save Islam. It wasn't a random thought. There are a lot of similarities between each. When I read the Bhavagad Gita I encountered these words:

Whatever path people travel is My path
No matter where they walk, it leads to Me.

While I'm aware of the truth of God and Christ, I believed that statement when I read it. Given my experience it was easy to see why that was the case.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The secular view that the truly loving thing is to say that all beliefs are equal
This can be a way to get out of admitting that certain things are wrong. Ones fear being judged.

And ones don't realize how because God loves us He corrects us > Hebrews 12:4-14. So, His judgment is for our good, with hope for how we can become His way like Jesus, even, in how to be and love.

When ones say all groups are the same, they possibly know nothing about how certain groups have even execution penalties for certain wrong things.

Reactions: Mhiriam
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
The secular view that the truly loving thing is to say that all beliefs are equal - it's amazing how extremely self-loving that view is when you follow it further.
I had one woman say to me "Jesus, Allah, Buddha, they're all the same God."
I wonder if she would be willing to go to the local mosque and tell the Muslims there that Buddha is equal in worth to Allah, or to a Buddhist monk and tell him he follows basically the same principles as Islam. Somehow, I don't think they'd say "Wow, what a loving, insightful comment! I totally agree."

Mim
I'm just curious...how did you decide that comment is the secular view which is truly loving? I could understand it being inclusive, but loving???

Upvote 0

Mhiriam

Dec 29, 2018
Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't decide that - the woman who told it to me said it was more loving. It is a secular view, there are several.

Labella - I don't doubt she believes that. I just think, as I said, that the faiths she was talking about might see things differently. You could always ask a committed Muslim and a committed Buddhist yourself and see if I'm right or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I didn't decide that - the woman who told it to me said it was more loving. It is a secular view, there are several.

Labella - I don't doubt she believes that. I just think, as I said, that the faiths she was talking about might see things differently. You could always ask a committed Muslim and a committed Buddhist yourself and see if I'm right or not.

You are correct that there is more than one secular view. The more academic people I know say the opposite: religions, though they may share some similarities, are very diverse, and the Buddha isn't a god in Buddhism.

Your friend is speaking from a lack of knowledge.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a good friend who's a Buddhist monk and a hospital and prison chaplain; he shares with me his utter frustration that people who know absolutely nothing at all about Buddhism will say things like, "Well, you know, I'm not really religious, but if I was anything I'd be Buddhist, because you guys are all, like, accepting and stuff." He once even had someone quote Jesus as an example of the excellence of Buddhist teaching (we laughed; you have to laugh or you'll cry).

It's just ignorance, mostly; coupled with a desire to see the good in everyone. But in doing so it blurs out any particularity, or even any of the benefits of committing to a particular position and tradition. But few of these people have ever darkened the doors of a place of worship...

Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's just ignorance, mostly; coupled with a desire to see the good in everyone. But in doing so it blurs out any particularity, or even any of the benefits of committing to a particular position and tradition.

I agree and would further point out that it is not actually charitable to erase real differences between people and their traditions. This can and does lead to misrepresentation. This really becomes a problem when a tradition has been repressed or largely destroyed as is the case with some Native American traditions. Ignorant or opportunistic people will pass off hybrid or bogus practices as belonging to a particular tradition -- or even to the "Native American tradition," as if there were only one -- and in spreading that misinformation this makes it difficult for the Natives of my country to actually preserve and teach about their own traditions. In some cases they are no longer even given the right to represent the tradition for themselves. It has been taken away by both well and ill intentioned cons and other people.

I've heard more than one person claim to be a Buddhist without any formal connection to the tradition at all even though a core aspect of the Buddhist traditions is to take refuge in the sangha, nor do they abide by other Buddhist principles and practices. I don't at all find it charitable to casually claim someone's tradition when no such tradition recognizes that claim, especially when the person isn't even practicing it to any degree even in isolation.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums