Not open for further replies.

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Okay, I saw the thread on the National Youth Gathering. As a pastor I had the privilege to accompany the youth to the 1989 Denver Youth Gathering. And since we were at the second event at Red Rocks, we got caught in the storm, and didn't get off the mountain until ~3:00 AM. made national headline news. When we got back I found out I had to go an area hospital; my son was one of those taken to the hospital, which I didn't know until then. He was alright. But what a night!

Any other surviviors?

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
No, one person had a heart attack, others had hypothermia, and they air lifted some to hospitals; and they eventually had many ambulances that took the more severe cases down. To compound the problem, many lived in areas such that they were not used to the altitude (6,000 ft), so altitude sickness was a problem. But the storm was so bad - hard rain, then temperature dropped by 25 degrees in about 15 minutes. Everyone was drenched. With 8,500+ at Red Rocks - 9:00 PM dark, rainy, cold, etc. Poor, narrows roads, and the buses were still delivering the first group that had seen the early show. So, many of us were on the mountain for 5+ hours without shelter, clothing to cover, and many had only shorts, light tops; we counselors basically took charge of any young people that happened to be around us. (We did get to meet many new people!). But there were people scattered all over the parking lots, roads, wide spots in the roads, and there were no lights.

The rain and lightning came so suddenly that they directed us to the nearest exits to look for some type of cover. The other counselor with us was 8 1/2 months pregnant, so she was quickly taken under the stage up front (along with several other pregnant women). But I was trying to find the others; I did find a few and put one of the mature boys in charge of that group when I finally found one of the girls - I rode with her back to the hotel. Most of them we didn't find until early in the morning when we returned to the hotel.

Best thing is that Park Patrol and sheriff's department said that they had never had such a calm, well disciplined group of people of any age, and even more noticeable in such an emergency. They had nothing but compliments for the Lutheran youth!

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wow. What a story!

If they were all Canadians there, they would've brought some warm clothes.:D Sorry, I had to make a Canadian joke somewhere. That event certainly seemed like a retreat to remember that you would never want to experience again!

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't become Lutheran until 1990 but I have vague recollections of that story...either from the news or from someone retelling it.

WOW...it would have been difficult to have been in a position of responsibility and have to wait for morning until you knew whether or not all the kids were OK! And then getting a call to the hospital!!! Grateful everything worked out well for you in the end. I pray our trip to Orlando will be much less exciting!!! ;)

Peace

Rose

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.