Recording of Giuliani Phone Call with Ukraine Released - Pretty Clear Quid Pro Quo Set-Up

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟834,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Exclusive: New audio of 2019 phone call reveals how Giuliani pressured Ukraine to investigate baseless Biden conspiracies

Never-before-heard audio, obtained exclusively by CNN, shows how former President Donald Trump's longtime adviser Rudy Giuliani relentlessly pressured and coaxed the Ukrainian government in 2019 to investigate baseless conspiracies about then-candidate Joe Biden.

The audio is of a July 2019 phone call between Giuliani, US diplomat Kurt Volker, and Andriy Yermak, a senior adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. The call was a precursor to Trump's infamous call with Zelensky, and both conversations later became a central part of Trump's first impeachment, where he was accused of soliciting Ukrainian help for his campaign.

"All we need from the President [Zelensky] is to say, I'm gonna put an honest prosecutor in charge, he's gonna investigate and dig up the evidence, that presently exists and is there any other evidence about involvement of the 2016 election, and then the Biden thing has to be run out," Giuliani said, according to the audio.

"That would clear the air really well," Giuliani said, according to the recording. "And I think it would make it possible for me to come and make it possible, I think, for me to talk to the President (Trump) to see what I can do about making sure that whatever misunderstandings are put aside ... I kinda think that this could be a good thing for having a much better relationship."

[Yermak keeps his eye on the quo that follows the quid:] "I'm absolutely sure that as soon as the dates of the President Zelensky's upcoming visit to United States will be confirmed, I am ready to be personally assume control of the preparation," Yermak said. "And of course, I will be ready to come, and we can (be) personally sitting (down), and in detail discuss all the questions, all this investigation which you listed in our conversation."

By the end of the call, it seemed clear to Yermak what needed to happen to get on Trump's good side.

[3 days later was the famous "I would like you to do us a favor though" phone call between Trump and Zelensky.]

--
As I pointed out two years ago:
Ambassadors Volker and Sondland during this time period met with members of the new Ukrainian administration and ... sought to help Ukrainian leaders understand and respond to the differing messages they were receiving from official US channels on the one hand, and from Mr. Giuliani on the other.

During this same timeframe, multiple US officials told me that the Ukrainian leadership was led to believe that a meeting or phone call between the President and President Zelenskyy would depend on whether Zelenskyy showed willingness to "play ball" on the issues that had been publicly aired by Mr, Lutsenko and Mr.Giuliani.

--

Keep in mind also that Giuliani was Donald Trump's personal lawyer, not a government employee or State Department official.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,265.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We have to be a little careful. Giuliani is obviously going to stand trial for his interactions with the Ukranians--Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman (who were arrested.)

I don't think that we would want to do anything which might give his lawyers opportunity to say he wouldn't get a fair trial or to ask for a mistrial.

I am willing to wait at this point to let Court TV present the whole story.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟250,015.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Keep in mind also that Giuliani was Donald Trump's personal lawyer, not a government employee or State Department official.
The phone call starts off with
"I'm very glad to talk to you too, and I wanna assure you that I want very much to see that our two countries are able to work together"

This first sentence is Rudy declaring to Zelenski that he is speaking on behalf of international relations between the countries. He is not speaking as the capacity of a personal lawyer to D Trump.

That in itself is a crime.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟488,724.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We have to be a little careful. Giuliani is obviously going to stand trial for his interactions with the Ukranians--Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman (who were arrested.)

I don't think that we would want to do anything which might give his lawyers opportunity to say he wouldn't get a fair trial or to ask for a mistrial.
If hearing a recording of what he did makes him look really guilty, does that get in the way of him getting a fair trial?

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟266,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, looks like Rudy could be going to prison... wonder if he'll try to flip on his boss?

If he doesn’t want to die in solitary confinement, he will. Before being New York’s mayor, he was putting mafia members behind bars. There isn’t a prison where he would be safe.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If he doesn’t want to die in solitary confinement, he will. Before being New York’s mayor, he was putting mafia members behind bars. There isn’t a prison where he would be safe.

Which raises a pretty problem considering Rudy's credibility issue -- the issue being his complete lack of any.

I'm not sure even I would believe him if he confessed Donald put him up to it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Exclusive: New audio of 2019 phone call reveals how Giuliani pressured Ukraine to investigate baseless Biden conspiracies

Never-before-heard audio, obtained exclusively by CNN, shows how former President Donald Trump's longtime adviser Rudy Giuliani relentlessly pressured and coaxed the Ukrainian government in 2019 to investigate baseless conspiracies about then-candidate Joe Biden.

The audio is of a July 2019 phone call between Giuliani, US diplomat Kurt Volker, and Andriy Yermak, a senior adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. The call was a precursor to Trump's infamous call with Zelensky, and both conversations later became a central part of Trump's first impeachment, where he was accused of soliciting Ukrainian help for his campaign.

"All we need from the President [Zelensky] is to say, I'm gonna put an honest prosecutor in charge, he's gonna investigate and dig up the evidence, that presently exists and is there any other evidence about involvement of the 2016 election, and then the Biden thing has to be run out," Giuliani said, according to the audio.

"That would clear the air really well," Giuliani said, according to the recording. "And I think it would make it possible for me to come and make it possible, I think, for me to talk to the President (Trump) to see what I can do about making sure that whatever misunderstandings are put aside ... I kinda think that this could be a good thing for having a much better relationship."

[Yermak keeps his eye on the quo that follows the quid:] "I'm absolutely sure that as soon as the dates of the President Zelensky's upcoming visit to United States will be confirmed, I am ready to be personally assume control of the preparation," Yermak said. "And of course, I will be ready to come, and we can (be) personally sitting (down), and in detail discuss all the questions, all this investigation which you listed in our conversation."

By the end of the call, it seemed clear to Yermak what needed to happen to get on Trump's good side.

[3 days later was the famous "I would like you to do us a favor though" phone call between Trump and Zelensky.]

--
As I pointed out two years ago:
Ambassadors Volker and Sondland during this time period met with members of the new Ukrainian administration and ... sought to help Ukrainian leaders understand and respond to the differing messages they were receiving from official US channels on the one hand, and from Mr. Giuliani on the other.

During this same timeframe, multiple US officials told me that the Ukrainian leadership was led to believe that a meeting or phone call between the President and President Zelenskyy would depend on whether Zelenskyy showed willingness to "play ball" on the issues that had been publicly aired by Mr, Lutsenko and Mr.Giuliani.

--

That's an interesting interpretation....

These are old details, already testified about...and pretty bland at that.

Perhaps it would help if CNN explained exactly what the quid pro quo was? Giuliani was aware of the evidence Biden was taking bribes....and he rather clearly states he doesn't know the truth of them. He wants Zelensky to put an honest prosecutor in charge of an investigation. The Ukraine has a rather severe corruption problem and allows anyone who believes they haven't received justice to request an investigation into corruption.

Despite what many current Democratic voters believe....this is how one should go about dealing with corruption. The opposite of insisting that the Ukraine remove prosecutors investigating corruption and threatening to withhold aid....and accepting millions from the Ukrainian gas company employing being investigated.

Again though....this is all old news, but with Trump's approval still going strong, it looks like the FBI will disclose evidence from old investigations and pretend it's new....

Does anyone care to guess if Trump and everyone else he's ever met will at some stop being investigated?

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟250,015.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps it would help if CNN explained exactly what the quid pro quo was?
Really, you don't know?
Really?

Trump's buddy, Putin was attacking USA's ally Ukraine and Ukraine needed Javelins to defend themselves against Russian tanks.
But Trump said he wasn't going to give the Javelins until Zelenski declared on USA tv that he was opening an investigation into Biden (Trump's key political opponent).

Read through that, and think about what the quid pro quo is.

Giuliani was aware of the evidence Biden was taking bribes....and he rather clearly states he doesn't know the truth of them.
So, he didn't have any evidence. Uh, huh.
And what exactly was Guliani's job? Trump's personal attorney. Guliani doesn't work for USA, he isn't a diplomat, he isn't in congress. Why was he trying to convince Zelenski to go after a particular USA person?

Think about it, yeah.
He wants Zelensky to put an honest prosecutor in charge of an investigation.
Nope, that's not it.
If Guliani somehow had evidence of a crime, he is supposed to hand it over to the authorities, not fly out to Ukraine and get a personal audience with Zelenski and try to convince him to start an investigation into Joe Biden. That's not what civilians do, that's not what personal attorney's do.
And was it just a coincidence that the subject was Joe Biden? Really???

This isn't at all the proper channel to be addressing corruption through. And they shouldn't be giving Javelins only contingent on publicly claiming having an investigation into someone.

To believe the narrative you have put through, a person would have to be very gullible.

The Ukraine has a rather severe corruption problem and allows anyone who believes they haven't received justice to request an investigation into corruption.
If they had evidence, then they should have handed it over, no conditions, just hand it over.
Despite what many current Democratic voters believe....this is how one should go about dealing with corruption.
Really? Send a personal attourney and get him to demand an investigation but not give any evidence..... Really?????
The opposite of insisting that the Ukraine remove prosecutors investigating corruption and threatening to withhold aid....and accepting millions from the Ukrainian gas company employing being investigated.
And as we know, that didn't happen at all.
Biden got a prosecutor removed because the prosecutor was refusing to do investigations.

Does anyone care to guess if Trump and everyone else he's ever met will at some stop being investigated?
I would imagine that Trump will stop being investigated when there isn't strong evidence for a crime he hasn't yet been charged with.

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟146,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Really, you don't know?
Really?

Trump's buddy, Putin was attacking USA's ally Ukraine and Ukraine needed Javelins to defend themselves against Russian tanks.
But Trump said he wasn't going to give the Javelins until Zelenski declared on USA tv that he was opening an investigation into Biden (Trump's key political opponent).

Read through that, and think about what the quid pro quo is.

So, he didn't have any evidence. Uh, huh.
And what exactly was Guliani's job? Trump's personal attorney. Guliani doesn't work for USA, he isn't a diplomat, he isn't in congress. Why was he trying to convince Zelenski to go after a particular USA person?

Think about it, yeah.

Nope, that's not it.
If Guliani somehow had evidence of a crime, he is supposed to hand it over to the authorities, not fly out to Ukraine and get a personal audience with Zelenski and try to convince him to start an investigation into Joe Biden. That's not what civilians do, that's not what personal attorney's do.
And was it just a coincidence that the subject was Joe Biden? Really???

This isn't at all the proper channel to be addressing corruption through. And they shouldn't be giving Javelins only contingent on publicly claiming having an investigation into someone.

To believe the narrative you have put through, a person would have to be very gullible.

If they had evidence, then they should have handed it over, no conditions, just hand it over.

Really? Send a personal attourney and get him to demand an investigation but not give any evidence..... Really?????

And as we know, that didn't happen at all.
Biden got a prosecutor removed because the prosecutor was refusing to do investigations.

I would imagine that Trump will stop being investigated when there isn't strong evidence for a crime he hasn't yet been charged with.
Did I see someone call Ukraine, “the Ukraine”?

Telegraphed punches are a detriment to boxers, too.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟250,015.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did I see someone call Ukraine, “the Ukraine”?

Telegraphed punches are a detriment to boxers, too.
Hmmm, I had to look that up.

"However, since Ukraine's declaration of independence in 1991, this usage has become politicised and is now rarer, and style guides advise against its use. US ambassador William Taylor said that using "the Ukraine" implies disregard for Ukrainian sovereignty. The official Ukrainian position is that "the Ukraine" is both grammatically and politically incorrect"

So it seems that people who are Pro Russia and against Ukraine sovereignty use the term "The Ukraine". I wonder if this means the person using it may be a Tucker Carlson fan???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,436,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m wondering why this thread was resurrected after two years.

From what I observe, on well known poster here does it when there is new information to share i.e. update on an investigation or court case (which is quite useful imo).

In this instance, that certainly is not the case.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,265.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's an interesting interpretation....

These are old details, already testified about...and pretty bland at that.

Perhaps it would help if CNN explained exactly what the quid pro quo was? Giuliani was aware of the evidence Biden was taking bribes....and he rather clearly states he doesn't know the truth of them. He wants Zelensky to put an honest prosecutor in charge of an investigation. The Ukraine has a rather severe corruption problem and allows anyone who believes they haven't received justice to request an investigation into corruption.

Despite what many current Democratic voters believe....this is how one should go about dealing with corruption. The opposite of insisting that the Ukraine remove prosecutors investigating corruption and threatening to withhold aid....and accepting millions from the Ukrainian gas company employing being investigated.

Again though....this is all old news, but with Trump's approval still going strong, it looks like the FBI will disclose evidence from old investigations and pretend it's new....

I believe the investigations will end when the criminals are behind bars, unable to produce more evidence.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟561,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It happens a lot lately.

From what I observe, on well known poster here does it when there is new information to share i.e. update on an investigation or court case (which is quite useful imo).

In this instance, that certainly is not the case.
IME, the "Similar Threads" section at the bottom tends to show old stuff in a manner that could easily lead one to believe that it's newer than it is.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟708,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m wondering why this thread was resurrected after two years.
IME, the "Similar Threads" section at the bottom tends to show old stuff in a manner that could easily lead one to believe that it's newer than it is.
It's wonderful when someone is able to answer their own question. Great job!

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0