eagerly waiting for heaven
Feb 13, 2011
West Virginia
✟7,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
This is a topic that is near to me, for several reasons, and it was brought to my attention again recently.

Is it permissible and right for Christians to read, watch, play, and generally enjoy science fiction and fantasy, (such as Harry Potter, Twilight, Lord of the Rings, and the Chronicles of Narnia), or is it a sin? Is there a command in the Bible to address this?

I, personally, believe that there is nothing wrong with reading and enjoying these things, as long as they remain stories and games. The dangerous part is when one allows the lines between fiction and reality to blur. Is good fiction realistic? Yes, but no matter how realistic, keep in mind that fiction is just that: a made up story, with little to no basis in the real world. Despite being a fundamentalist Baptist, I have no problem with these things, mostly because I separate them from the real world. I can read and enjoy Harry Potter without it nipping at my conscience because it is a made up story with made up things, just like Cinderella or Snow White. Nobody ever asks, "Is it okay for Christians to tell fairy tales?" Once again, I believe that it is okay, as long as the participant or hearer realizes that what they are engaging in is not real, and never will be. Many stories have been told of small children, pre-teens, and even teenagers and adults that have become convinced of the reality of their particular favorite story/game/movie. The most recent fandom to experience such a thing: Twilight.

Can these things be a waste of time? Yes, but so can anything else. Video games, for example, can be addictive and provoke violent thoughts, but they can also provide a great way to evangelize and build relationships. I enjoy speaking to other people in video games and building friendships with them so that I can reach out to them and share the Gospel through this avenue. Many, many people could be reached through "video game evangelism" that otherwise would not! One can say the same thing of book clubs, movie theaters, and other avenues of communication.

Is there a command to address this in the Bible? Some people need to, and should, refrain from these things for various reasons. For instance, a close friend must carefully regulate when and how much he plays video games, because if he is not careful, then he uses it as an escape from the real world, and it becomes an idol. Some people need to refrain from fantastical literature because of things mentioned therein -- the elements of Greek/Roman mythology utilized in the Chronicles of Narnia are a stumbling block to some, because it tempts them to mix Christianity with false religion. Some may need to be careful when reading or watching things that involve, say, witchcraft or supernatural creatures; these things do exist, but in a way that is much less benign than usually presented, and one must be careful to think on these things in a godly manner (i.e., "Harry Potter's witchcraft is oodles of fun, it seems. So is it wrong for me to practice real witchcraft? Yes, because God says so."). So, in a roundabout sense, there are commands in the Bible to refrain from such things, because they are stumbling blocks in our Christian lives, and may become idols. However, these commands also apply to much more mundane things. . .

And what of those who enjoy these things, but have friends who are convinced of their immorality? If you personally have not been convicted by God that these thins are bad in your life and need to be eliminated, then simply curtail the exercise of your Christian liberty. Perhaps your best friend is certain that Lord of the Rings advocates witchcraft and killing, but you are certain that it is good writing and entertainment -- simply refrain from mentioning it in their presence, so that you are not a stumbling block to them. Or maybe, you have met someone who video games are a temptation to because of things in their past. Be careful about what you do and say about these things around them, or else you may tempt them into sin again.

Perhaps this is all mindless rambling, but I find this to be a very logical, balanced, and hopefully God-honoring conclusion on this subject. I am no theologian nor do I have a doctorate, but. . .well, what do you think?

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I entirely agree with you and think it obvious that fantasy is an excellent thing which everybody should read and enjoy. Materialistic atheism posits a cosmos in which everything everywhere always operates under the same physical laws, so there can't ever be a time or place where things were really different from out present reality. Christianity posits that the true reality which God intended for us is very different from the present reality in which we live--this is the meaning of original sin. So naturally we should be drawn to the fantastic as an exercise in exploring God's true reality, which is so far beyond our own.

I also agree with the connection between fairy tales and fantasy novels. It's obvious to me that fantasy novels, or at least the good ones, are merely fairy tales extended to book length. Fairy tales have always been known for their good morals. They have good guys who are courageous, honest, caring, and generous. They have villains who are greedy, cruel, and malicious. It's difficult to find any modern novel, or any modern entertainment of any sort, which puts solid ethics front and center in that way. G. K. Chesterton made this point wonderfully in his famous essay The Ethics of Elfland; Here's a link to it.

Orthodoxy | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Upvote 0

Katarinea

eagerly waiting for heaven
Feb 13, 2011
West Virginia
✟7,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Exactly! It's very encouraging to see that I am not the only one who loves God and has a very strong like for fantastical stories. I enjoy it because it does help me grasp deep theological concepts fairly well. However, many Christians, especially those in fundamentalist circles such as I move in, condemn fantasy on the basis that it is ungodly. Can fantasy be used for evil? Yes, but so can many other things!

Upvote 0

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've always read and enjoyed SF/fantasy (sword and sorcery back then). I still like watching it and reading it. After becoming a believer, I did branch out to Christian fiction but even there, I'll read Christian SF/fantasy, romances, mysteries etc, as well as the secular stuff. I figure as long as it doesn't dominate my life and as long as I know the difference between reality and fantasy (which I certainly do), I don't think it harms anyone. I even play videogames. The fact that I like FPS and Lara Croft style games doesnt' mean I want to go out and start shooting people, ya know?

Upvote 0

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly! It's very encouraging to see that I am not the only one who loves God and has a very strong like for fantastical stories. I enjoy it because it does help me grasp deep theological concepts fairly well. However, many Christians, especially those in fundamentalist circles such as I move in, condemn fantasy on the basis that it is ungodly. Can fantasy be used for evil? Yes, but so can many other things!

You're hardly the only one. I know quite a few 'fundamentalist' christians who enjoy SciFi and Fantasy.

Upvote 0

CMDRExorcist

Theology Explorer
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟152,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I've been reading and writing science fiction for years and while I don't have as much time to read as I used to, I love it and believe wholeheartedly that there is nothing wrong with it. As said earlier, I believe that if it becomes the central focus of your life, then it becomes an idol and is a bad thing. Otherwise, beam me up, Scotty!

God Bless,
Wesley

:liturgy:

Upvote 0

luv4lionheads

Jan 24, 2010
Michigan!
✟15,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As an avid fan of fantasy literature, and a Christian, I believe there is nothing wrong with reading fantasy or, in my case, writing it. Sometimes I think people fail to acknowledge that God gave us an imagination in the first place. Arguably, we are the only element of God's creation that bares the capabilities to imagine things beyond what is real and what we know. This is because we are made in God's image. God imagined and created the Universe and gave us the capabilities to imagine and create our own worlds on a much smaller scale. Imagination and along with it, fantasy is not evil, or to be shunned. I believe using our imaginations respectively can be one way to give glory to God.
But like anything, the imagination can be abused and evil can spawn from it in this sinful world. Reading fantasy, or anything for that matter, that encourages ungodly behavior or goes strictly against Christan beliefs, should not be read, or if so, read with an experienced and discerning eye.
Thirdly, I'd just like to address a few of the books mentioned earlier as potential "taboo" books. First off, "The Chronicles of Narnia." Though C.S. Lewis writes this as a fantasy, with many creatures originally seen in ancient greek and roman culture, you have to take a deeper look into the series, and into the life of C.S Lewis to understand their meaning and the true story behind them. Let's start of with C.S. Lewis as an author and person. C.S. Lewis, for much of his life, was an atheist, meaning he did not believe God could not exist, and for an esteemed college professor at Oxford, it wasn't surprising that he believed this way. However, after years of feeling spiritually unsettled, he was converted to Christianity by his colleague and friend J.R.R Tolken (that's right, the guy who wrote Lord of the Rings) who was Catholic. In C.S. Lewis' book, "Mere Christianity" C.S. Lewis states his reasons for beleiving there is a God and backs it up with near infallible logic. (I'd suggest everyone read it.) But now let's look into "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe." Hopefully, if you've read it, you realized it is the retelling of the Easter story. Aslan willingly gives himself to the White Witch at the Stone Table to be killed in the place of Edmund, who betrayed his siblings to the Witch in promise of power. Aslan's last words are, "It is finished" (sound familiar?). Of course, what would the Easter story retelling be without a resurrection? Aslan raises from the dead at dawn and states to a bewildered Lucy and Susan , "That when a willing victim who has committed no treachery, is killed in a traitor's stead, the stone table will crack, and even death itself would turn backwards." The stone Table could arguably be the curtain mentioned at the death of Jesus on Calvary in James.

So, I see I have addressed two of these authors, C.S. Lewis and J.R. R. Tolken, and why their works should be acceptable for Christians to read, seeing that both of these were christian men, C.S. Lewis, a theologian, in time.

So, there's my bit.

God Bless :p

Marie

Upvote 0

mnemonik

May 3, 2011
Midwest
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd suggest two things to read that might be helpful to you. I mean, they won't be helpful by saying "The Bible says Harry Potter books are [good|evil]" or anything like that. But they relate fantasy to life.

One is CS Lewis's spiritual autobiography, Surprised by Joy. It's a wonderful book I re-read every few years.

The other is an essay by JRR Tolkien called "On Fairy-Stories". It may be a little harder to get through, especially if you don't have a strong literature background, but it's quite interesting.

Upvote 0

StonedProphet

May 11, 2011
✟337.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Fantasy exercises my God given ability to Create worlds and characters within the confines of my own mind. I sometimes wonder if God created all of us in his mind, and that's why we can't reach him. I think the most awesome thing about Christianity is you get to have a relationship with the most high, and you can't just get this anywhere, no more then you could drop in on a president or king unannounced, but Jesus Christ is the way. See it's all part of the heirarchy:

1. Animals
2. Common Men
3. Elected Officials and police
4. Rulers of men
5. Secret Societies
6. Alien/demon space gods
7. The Most High

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jul 12, 2011
North Carolina
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know about Harry Potter, but personally I feel it's an abomination to read Twilight (or any of its millions of clones). This has nothing to do with a natural God-given inclination to gag openly at the romanticizing of blood-sucking evil immortal pedophiles... Okay, it has everything to do with that. Come on, I'm supposed to believe that this vampire has lived hundreds of years, and yet, it is the blood of a gawky teenager that sings to him? I can't imagine what the glint of the moonlight off her silvery braces does to him, but one thing is certain; I don't want to read about it.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a big fan of fantasy and some sci fi. I play D&D. It has never been a stumbling block for my faith.
On Twilight: As a dad of a teenage girl, the bigger thing that bothers me about Twilight is how Bella is so dependent/puts her whole being into the love of a guy (even if he's immortal), that when he goes away she's so depressed she's near death. Not the greatest role model for our girls!

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,857.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I am a big fan of fantasy and some sci fi. I play D&D. It has never been a stumbling block for my faith.
On Twilight: As a dad of a teenage girl, the bigger thing that bothers me about Twilight is how Bella is so dependent/puts her whole being into the love of a guy (even if he's immortal), that when he goes away she's so depressed she's near death. Not the greatest role model for our girls!

I'm glad ther are some parents like yuo who have a brain.

So many are swallowing camels (the relationship issues that concern you) and choke on gnats (that there are vampires and werewolfs).

I would really be concerend if any child in my family liked Twilight (other than as truely absurd humor).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums