Recommend any good cameras?

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
cataplum!rocker said:
Im looking for a good, cheap digital camera, and maybe a good cheap digital video camera, unless digital cameras can take good video shots. So can you guys recommend some good ones for me?
I am looking for a digital camera too, but looking for a Scottish supplier obviously :D

Upvote 0

VWPETE

Jan 22, 2004
Renton WA, school in Cheney WA
Visit site
✟1,238.00
Faith
Christian
well its all in what you want the camera to do. i have a Canon Powershot A70 wich takes video but its not impressive. it takes great photos and has tones of features. there really isn't a good cheap camera, you pay for what you get. the lowest i would personaly go for a good digital camera would be 250-299 US $ range. i would also recoment Canon and NIkon as top brands.

good ones to look at

Canon Powershot A70
Canon Powershot A80
Nikon Coolpix 3100
Nikon Coolpix 3700
Nikon Coolpix 4300
canon Powershot sd100
canon powershot s400

check out www.steves-digicams.com for a good place to start looking. also go to a camera dealer and look at the camers your interested in, get one that is comfortable and has what you want.

Upvote 0

BobbyS662

renaissanceguy
Feb 25, 2004
Mississippi
✟15,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes, the Canons and Nikons are all excellent cameras. Also, I would definitely recommend Olympus- they make some fantastic consumer models with excellent optics and great color reproduction. I have the c-3040 model (I think it's out of production now) and I love it! Also you may want to check out Popular Photography online at www.popphoto.com where they have many reviews of digicams.

Upvote 0

KristianJ

What's in a name? Letters...
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟35,788.00
Faith
Christian
I have a Sony Cybershot, which is good except that it doesn't have an optical zoom. The video format is very average, but that's to be expected for something that's inexpensive. I'd go Canon or Olympus from what I've seen of their quality (and the fact that a pro photographer friend of mine has one - he said go for reputable camera brands as well)

Upvote 0

surge

Mar 10, 2004
NC
Visit site
✟115.00
Faith
Christian
If you are going to get a Canon, I would stick with the S series, they have rechargable batteries and are more compact, I can't tell you how convenient that has been for me. I take pictures like crazy with mine. I've had an S200, which I'm giving to a friend and an SD100. The 300 dollar range cameras are good entry level cameras if you want to take snap shots and was what was recommended by CNET as a starter camera, if your not big on professional level photography but just want to record moments.

I got pictures on my website if you want to see:
surge.is-a-geek.org/gallery/

Need a few more posts before I can link that I guess

Upvote 0

Mr Hako

Mar 10, 2004
✟179.00
Faith
Methodist
Sadly, there is no such thing as a good cheap digital camera. You can spend a lot of money and get something that's decent or go really cheap and get something that's okay for snaps. Buying middle of the range is pointless, tomorrow it will be bargain bucket technology.

It depends on your experience, and expertise. If you are just a happy snapper, anything, any brand, between £70-150 will do. In this price bracket the image quality largely depends on the CCD and for that sort of money, everything will be the same quality, regardless of brand.

For cheaper cameras, the general rule is the more pixels the better. 6megapixels will give you good 6 inch prints, comparible to the sort of print you'd get from Boots taken with a film camera.

For expensive cameras, this rule doesn't really hold, because expensive glass lenses can get more out of the same CCD than a cheap plastic lens.

If you want to take quality professional photographs then I'd recommend the new Olympus 2/3rds system. The Zuiko lenses are class and it's a beautiful camera (but will break the bank). In this price bracket, you start paying for the optics, and good glass is expensive.

Hope this helps,
William

PS I'm a commercial photographer who still uses film.

Upvote 0

LarryM

-
Oct 19, 2002
Visit site
✟7,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
William,
Sadly, there is no such thing as a good cheap digital camera.
What do you think of the Canon EOS Digital Rebel? I was looking at a package with the new Canon 28-135 f3.5 5.6 and 75-300 f4.0 5.6 Image Stabilizing USM lenses.

I take a lot of outdoor shots, both scenic and wildlife.

L

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr Hako

Mar 10, 2004
✟179.00
Faith
Methodist
>>>>What do you think of the Canon EOS Digital Rebel? I was looking at a package with the new Canon 28-135 f3.5 5.6 and 75-300 f4.0 5.6 Image Stabilizing USM lenses. I take a lot of outdoor shots, both scenic and wildlife.

Canon make great cameras, and their fast lenses are absolutely superb.

However, I think the Image stabilizing lenses are a gimmick. They generally allow you to hand hold for an extra stop, but if you are serious about your photography, the best thing to do is invest in a very sturdy tripod. It will give shaper results from an average lens than a top end image stabilizing lens for a fraction of the price. The Manfrotto carbon one range is about the best value for price/performance.

As I said before, the New Olympus 2/3rd system is in my opinion the best digital package around. (unless you are going large format). The 2/3rd system allows the lenses to be smaller and lighter than the standard "35mm type" digital cameras (like the rebel), which negates the need for image stabilizing technology. And the new Olympus Zuiko lenses have been designed specifically for digital photography, (rather than using 35mm system lenses, which are poor at getting light onto the CCD).

If you already have a lot of Canon accessories and lenses, then continuing with Canon makes a lot of sense. If not, shop around and buy what feels right for you.

Upvote 0

koppee1

Feb 8, 2004
Mandaluyong City
✟346.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
i'd recommend the camera I bought..
Olympus c-740z (digital)
or the model one up from this, which is the c-750z

The best feature of this camera is is relatively small body with the 10x OPTICAL zoom :) It takes great pictures too..although since this is my first and only digital camera, I don't really have anything to compare it with hehe.

Upvote 0

Tini

Live in God's Community
Aug 21, 2002
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
Visit site
✟28,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have the HP945 which packs a lot of features for a reasonable price.

8x optical zoom with a number of other useful features. A good camera for candid family type snaps. I know there are a lot better cams - but perhaps not for the price?

Upvote 0