Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
@antletems and @Michie I pushed for the creation of this place and I didn't intend for it back then to grow as toxic as I for one have been a leading figure in the development of.

I read your feelings and while I do not agree that anyone has to accept changes in doctrinal matters and what clearly comes of as modern day innovations I would really love for this place not to be left to itself for us to grow in hatred and hostility.

We need correction too, if not in our faith we benefit greatly from having our hostility kept at a spiritual healthy level.

I'm sorry for my rage and I hope it wouldn't keep you people from posting in here.
Please have patience with us, our marginalization in our own church puts us through all kind off bizarre motions.

Again please stay with us.

God bless you and once again I'd like to express my apologise for any offences I may have caused as a consequence of my anger which I admit is present.

Why the name change?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Bottom line, CotH is the norm in the US and CotT is allowed but is not the norm. 90% of the people in my parish receive in the hand.
so what? is your parish supposed to be setting the norm?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
But, you don't 'need' an altar rail to receive on the tongue
no, the altar rail was a separate issue from the reception of the Eucharist, but tied in with it under the species of the change in attitude and focus of direction from the Tridentine Mass (focus on God) to the Novus Ordum mass (focus on the people).

With the tridentine Mass and the focus on God, the emphasis was on the heavenly and earthly concelebration of the mass; what Christ did in heaven, the priest did on earth at the same time with the angelic host and the Holy Spirit as witness in both cases.
So the focus was on God the Father acting through the Son and at the same time acting through the priest, accepting both offerings from Christ and from the priest simutaneously, and at the same time acknowledging both offerings as holy and acceptable to Him.
And in turn God offers simultaneously forgiveness and acceptance through the medium of the transformed sacrifice of Christ. And He does this through the ofices of the priest.

the altar rail symbolizes the curtain in the Jewish temple--that which separated a sinful people from a righteous God, and the place where the people came to offer their sincere humility and pennance to God for having Offended His Holiness.
So in VAT 2, doing away with the altar rail was part and parcel with the changes in focus from God and His holiness and majesty to the people and their expressed desires, irregardless of tradition or what God wanted.

But VAT2 is not the only place we see this happening.
Look what happened in Exodus when the people decided to take worship itself into their own hands. What did we get?
In place of God we got a golden calf. and no rules.
and what happened because of this?
that generation never set one foot in the promised land.
that is something to consider carefully.

With VAT2 and the subsequent proposed changes to that we got:
rules by committee,
rules determined by social standards of the day,
no barriers (or toppling barriers)
a change in orientation from God at the center to Me, Myself, and I at the center.
challenges to the sacraments.
differences in construction of Catholic Churches. no longer do they inspire worship or the holiness and majesty of God.
today they are stark, barren of beauty, and with little to inspire
or to set them apart from other large buildings.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
so what? is your parish supposed to be setting the norm?
No, they follow the norm. The USCCB sets the norm for reception in the US. I don't see why this is a contentious issue. You are free to receive either way.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,510,622.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
no, the altar rail was a separate issue from the reception of the Eucharist, but tied in with it under the species of the change in attitude and focus of direction from the Tridentine Mass (focus on God) to the Novus Ordum mass (focus on the people).

I would have thought that the shift was a little more nuanced than that. That is, it changed from focussing on God as transcendent, beyond our current reality, "out there" and yet somehow connected to us through layers of sacerdotal intervention, to focussing on God as immanent, present to us as we gather, "in here" and active in our midst.

So not so much shifting a focus away from God, but shifting which aspect of God is in focus?

Upvote 0