Visit site
✟20,072.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
The gift of tongues is one of many giftings of the Holy Spirit. You can have a gift of prophecy, healing, discernemnt, exorcism, singing, speaking... the list goes on. Actually the Holy Spirit is everywhere, but most importantly, the Holy Spirit is within you, and it is through you and your gifts that God works his will and purpose in the world.

Upvote 0

altya

Servant of God
Apr 28, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
✟14,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In Acts, when believers were filled with the Holy Spirit, the Spirit enabled them to speak in tongues. I don't know any Christian who can speak in tongues. I cannot speak in tongues. Where is the Holy Spirit?

Filled with the Holy Spirit

No outward forms can make us clean. No regulation, by whosoever administered, or after whatever mode, can supply the need of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The purifying and cleansing power of the Holy Spirit alone can produce that purity of heart, and those holy affections, which accompany salvation. We only have to ask to receive. Water is the emblem of the Holy Spirit; as water refreshes, cleanses, and makes the earth fruitful, so do His influences the soul. This gift of the Holy Spirit is the great blessing,

We have to seek after the infilling with the Holy Spirit. It is a free gift and we have not to do anything else but as to believe to receive it.
Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
This is the promise that is given to us by Jesus. The reason why we have to be filled with the Holy Spirit is because He is our Helper and He will teach us and lead us. The Holy Spirit works with us to help us to understand the scripture, working through us to perform miracles.
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things,
So many people ask how to be filled with the Holy Spirit and it’s so easy because it’s a free gift from God. We have to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then we ask God to fill us with His Spirit. The gift will be transferred with the laying on of hands from a Spirit-filled Christian to the one who is seeking to be filled. People do have to understand that they do not have to be ‘holy’ before this can take place. So many times people think they have to be holy (sinless) before they can receive the Holy Spirit, but this is a free gift. The sign that follows being filled with the Holy Spirit is the speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongue is the language of the Spirit. It’s a way to communicate in the spiritual world. (We also get a body language that sometimes speaks louder than words). Many churches that do not believe in speaking in tongues and it’s robbing us of a free gift that God has given us.
Acts 19:4 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

There is always confusion with speaking in tongue because people do not understand it clearly. There are two kinds of tongues; the OTHER tongues and the UNKNOWN tongues. On the day of Pentecost, the people were filled with the Holy Spirit for the first time and they spoke in tongues but they spoke in different languages that the other people there recognize as their own language and was amazed thereby they knew it was an act of God. They knew that the people speaking in their language were not able to before.
Acts 2:2-11 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with OTHER tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
The speaking in UNKNOWN tongues is the spirit language. No man understands it unless there is someone who can interpret it. If speaking in tongues are in other recognizable languages, there is no need for interpretations because everybody knows their own language. It is only with the unknown languages that we need to have them interpret, so that humans may be able to understand what is being spoken in tongues.
1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an UNKNOWN tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
A newborn Christian is still in sin and slavery but God gave us the power to become sons of God. We repent from our sins, are baptized with water in the name of Jesus Christ and are filled with the Holy Spirit. These three steps are the born-again stage. This gives us the power to become Sons of God. These three steps are like a seed; say like a tomato seed that we received. We have to plant it and water it. The seed has to grow to the fullness of a plant to be able to bear so fruit. We are the same after being re-born. It‘s only our spirit that is new; we have to work on our soul and body to come in line with the word of God.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
Maybe this article will help. Its all I can offer with the small amount of time I have.

Why I Don’t Believe In Miracles
by Wayne Jackson
Article Description
This article is a response to professor Philip Hefner’s Newsweek article repudiating miracles.

The affirmation cited above reflects the title of a recent article that appeared in Newsweek magazine (5/1/00, p. 61). It was authored by Philip Hefner, a professor of systematic theology at the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago.

Hefner’s essay is mostly about his objections to “miracles” today, based upon his observations of the regularity of nature, his association with men of science, and his disdain for those TV evangelists who ever are claiming that God is working miracles through them.

But he “throws the baby out with the bath water,” rejecting the possibility of miracles under any circumstance. There is not one iota of evidence in the article to indicate that Hefner considered the miracles of the Bible as authentic, in contrast to those feigned by “healers” today.

In fact, the professor has been well-documented in other publications as rejecting what he calls the “miracle stories” of the Scriptures. A part of his problem is the affliction which may be characterized as “retrogressive theology,” that is, the projection of a present circumstance back into the context of biblical history.

I do not believe that God is working miracles today either. But I do not reject such on the ground that God is powerless to perform them; he can do anything he wills to do, consistent with his character and his eternal purpose.

I do not disbelieve in miracles because the forces of nature are inalterably fixed, and thus cannot be manipulated by the very One who initiated them. God is in control of his own creation, and should he so choose, he could suspend nature’s laws for the implementation of his plan. He certainly has done so at different times in the course of world history.

In the Old Testament era God parted the Red Sea and fed Israel with manna for forty years. In the New Testament age, the miracles of Jesus and his apostles were prominent features in first-century Mediterranean society.

God can even orchestrate the normal regularities of natural law through the process commonly called “providence,” in order to expedite the divine plan.

I do not reject “modern miracles” because I view God as uncaring for the plight of miserable humanity. No, none of these rationales is a valid measure of current so-called “supernatural” phenomena.

Rather, I repudiate “modern-day miracles” because belief in such runs counter to the explicit and implicit evidence of written revelation. Consider the following:

The Scriptures plainly indicate that the purpose of first-century miracles was to authenticate the process of divine revelation, preliminary to the completion of that body of literature known as the New Testament (Mk. 16:17-20; Heb. 2:1-4). That being the case, these “signs” are not needed today.

Nothing in today’s world is analogous to the supernatural events that adorn the pages of the New Testament. There is no walking on water (Jn. 6:19), no restoration of an amputated ear (Lk. 22:51), no resurrections from the dead (Jn. 11:43-44) - nothing remotely resembling biblical miracles is observed today. True miracles are self-verifying events. They are so dramatic as to be undeniable (cf. Jn. 11:47; Acts 4:16).

The means for the reception of supernatural powers, at least as depicted in the New Testament, are unavailable in this age. There is no outpouring of the Holy Spirit, as such occurred on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2). There are no living apostles to “lay hands” on men and empower them with the ability to speak foreign languages supernaturally, as in the case of those baptized believers in Ephesus (Acts 19:6), or to do other signs (e.g., the healing of infirm bodies - Acts 3:7).

Inspired testimony explicitly affirms that the day of the miraculous was temporary, accommodating the completion of the canon of sacred Scripture (1 Cor. 13:8ff; Eph. 4:8ff), and thus soon to “cease.”
A careful distinction, therefore, must be made between the rejection of the phoniness of today’s “miracles,” parading themselves under the banner of “Pentecostalism,” and the authentic signs of the first century, as such were performed by Christ and his commissioned ambassadors.

To fail to draw the sharp line between these two sets of circumstances, is to do a grave injustice to those we are attempting to influence with the gospel.

Upvote 0
You should prepare yourself before you receive the Holy Spirit into you.......
Fast and pray for God's favor is a very good activities to do to open way for the receiving of the Holy Spirit

Why we cannot receive the Holy Spirit
1. There are still sins in us
2. We are doubtful
3. Lack of faith / Believing self cannot
4. Heart not prepared

God can only works when the people ready desires for Him to work in them.

For Andrew, get baptized - Cornelius did.

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JOhnPreparer

Why we cannot receive the Holy Spirit

1. There are still sins in us

Once we are saved we are saints and there is no sin in us. We do still sin but we are not cpative to sin.

2. We are doubtful

Isn't everyone doubtful?

3. Lack of faith / Believing self cannot

Okay but I think that the lack of faith would man that they are not saved.

4. Heart not prepared

Salvation is all the heart needs for preperation.

basically Ithink the Bible is clear that we all have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us if we are Christians. We receive the H.S. at salvation. Now we can be filled with the H.S. but that is not receiving the Holy Spirit.

blackhawk

Upvote 0

SCJ

Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2002
Middle Georgia
✟29,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen Blackhawk.

The Bible teaches that someone can be filled with the Holy Spirit many times. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit comes to believers and will not desert us. Paul teaches that we are definately saints who occasionally sin.

Upvote 0
I personally have never been spoken in tongues, but I know quite a few believers who have. I have, however, felt the Holy Spirit working in and through me in very powerful ways before. Each of us has our own spiritual gift(s). 1 Corinthians and Romans both go into a lot of detail about how we each have our own spiritual gifts, that the ones we are given are perfect for us (given to us by God), and that we each need each other's gifts so as to make up the full body of Christ. Will I ever speak in tongues? Maybe, maybe not; the people I know that have did not try to do it, or induce it, it just happened when God needed them to do it. It's a wonderful blessing to speak in tongues, but it doesn't mean that you aren't a Christian if you don't.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
speaking of tongue doesn't always mean it's a spiritual gift, sometimes people are so insistent on this as an evidence of the Holy Spirit that the spirit enabling them to speak in tongue turns out to be the spirit of the devil.

don't seek it if it wasn't God's will. God'll give us gifts according to His divine purpose, and speaking in tongue is not the only gift of the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Nothing in today’s world is analogous to the supernatural events that adorn the pages of the New Testament. There is no walking on water (Jn. 6:19), no restoration of an amputated ear (Lk. 22:51), no resurrections from the dead (Jn. 11:43-44) - nothing remotely resembling biblical miracles is observed today. True miracles are self-verifying events. They are so dramatic as to be undeniable (cf. Jn. 11:47; Acts 4:16).

Hi guys,

I just thought I'd jump in here. I don't intend to sound malicious in anyway, but personally I find Wayne Jackson's comments to be ridiculous. I can understand why Christians believe the gifts stopped and miracles still happen, but for those who flat out reject any supernatural phenomenon, I really wonder what he would think of these 3 articles on prayer:

http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/1668.50132
http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/1728.92943
http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/1674.51527

As for Christians who don't believe in miracles I really wonder if they recognize their own salvation as the greatest miracles: Passing from death to life (1 John 3:14). I get some impression his definition of miracle might be different from mine. I personally hold on to this definition from dictionary.com:

mir·a·cle - An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God

Salvation seems to fit under this definition, since nature cannot save us, rather we're saved by an 'act of God :)

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Blessed-one
speaking of tongue doesn't always mean it's a spiritual gift, sometimes people are so insistent on this as an evidence of the Holy Spirit that the spirit enabling them to speak in tongue turns out to be the spirit of the devil.

don't seek it if it wasn't God's will. God'll give us gifts according to His divine purpose, and speaking in tongue is not the only gift of the Spirit.

If someone feels a lot of influence from their peers to speak in tongues I can see how they coudl possible "fake it" but I can't see what purpose ti would serve Satan to cause the one's not blessed with this gift to speak in tongues.

I really doubt that the spirit of the devil would work in this way.

Zach

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.