Status
Not open for further replies.

cheebo

Feb 9, 2004
bmt, tx
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Hi. I'm new here and I guess I'm really new to Christianity. Anyway...sometime in the middle of 2002(i think), i was flipping through the TV and came across TBN. Anyway, I confessed Jesus in LORD in my room and repented for all of the wrongs I've done.... decided to turn my life around and live for GOD.

I got a bible and read it all the way through and fasted any prayed and studied and tried to understand it. Anyway, I just really need to talk to GOD...I mean, I pray, but i want to have actual DIALOG with GOD. Everything I've looked at...every source indicates that people that converse w/ GOD are filled with his SPIRIT. I know that the bible says "...ask, seek, knock"....and i will receive HIM, but I still have not....or If have ....i don't know that I have.
I have not prophesied or spoken in tongues or any of that stuff I just wanna trully know GOD and live by his instruction. I know this is a weird post, but I just really need to receive the Baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT. I am in a dire staits type of situation in my life....and i REALLY need GOD to be with me in power. I have been praying and i have tried to filter out anything that may be hindering me from receiving the SPIRIT in fullness(admittedly, I have stumbled in places...I have sinned, but i have repented).

So, what am i supposed to do? Do i need to go to a church and have somebody lay hands on me? How did you guys receive the fullness of the SPIRIT??? Please, can anybody give me some instruction on what to do?

If, i understand the bible correctly, you people that are blessed with the gift of tongues have a special prayer language that allows you to talk to GOD in a special way.....please, PLEASE, if you remember me can you ask GOD about me??? What am I doing wrong???

This is my first real post here. I apologize in advance for it's length and if i have broken any rules. Thank you for whatever advice you can offer.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello friend.

I received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit next to my bed.
1. Realize the Baptism with the Holy Spirit is received by faith.
Gal 3:2
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal 3:5
5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

That means asking for it and then believing that you have received it. You are baptized with the Holy Spirit the same way you are saved... you ask and believe.

Mat 7:8
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

He did not lie about it. If you ask, you receive.
Therefore, ask, and know that He has baptized you with the Holy Spirit.
It is polite to thank someone for a gfft... so begin to thank Him for it. If you speak in tongues, great. If not, it does not matter... He did not lie. He baptized you with the Holy Spirit regardless of what you feel, think, or do. Faith is the initial evidence of receiving everything.
The only thing you could possibly be doing wrong is to be not accepting the testimony of the Word. If He said He gave it, then you got it. If you asked, you have received. Period. If you want to manifest the signs, then do what Paul said:
Eph 5:18-20
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

The presence and power of the Spirit is dependent on your being "in the Spirit". You do this by praying, praising, and singing to the Lord in your heard. This will increase the power and presence of the Spirit and enable you to begin to manifest the gifts.
Here is some deeper instuction on How to Prophesy, speak in tongues, and manifest your gifts

You can and should prophecy:
http://www.christianforums.com/t89749

Each gift has an "utterance""
http://www.christianforums.com/t68618

"S"pirit or "s"pirit:
http://www.christianforums.com/t89245

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
cheebo said:
Hi. I'm new here and I guess I'm really new to Christianity. Anyway...sometime in the middle of 2002(i think), i was flipping through the TV and came across TBN. Anyway, I confessed Jesus in LORD in my room and repented for all of the wrongs I've done.... decided to turn my life around and live for GOD.

I got a bible and read it all the way through and fasted any prayed and studied and tried to understand it. Anyway, I just really need to talk to GOD...I mean, I pray, but i want to have actual DIALOG with GOD. Everything I've looked at...every source indicates that people that converse w/ GOD are filled with his SPIRIT. I know that the bible says "...ask, seek, knock"....and i will receive HIM, but I still have not....or If have ....i don't know that I have.
I have not prophesied or spoken in tongues or any of that stuff I just wanna trully know GOD and live by his instruction. I know this is a weird post, but I just really need to receive the Baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT. I am in a dire staits type of situation in my life....and i REALLY need GOD to be with me in power. I have been praying and i have tried to filter out anything that may be hindering me from receiving the SPIRIT in fullness(admittedly, I have stumbled in places...I have sinned, but i have repented).

So, what am i supposed to do? Do i need to go to a church and have somebody lay hands on me? How did you guys receive the fullness of the SPIRIT??? Please, can anybody give me some instruction on what to do?

If, i understand the bible correctly, you people that are blessed with the gift of tongues have a special prayer language that allows you to talk to GOD in a special way.....please, PLEASE, if you remember me can you ask GOD about me??? What am I doing wrong???

This is my first real post here. I apologize in advance for it's length and if i have broken any rules. Thank you for whatever advice you can offer.
I have met few who have conversations with God, and most of them desire it more than I...which is sad. I once heard it said you have as much of God as you want. But there is a website of a ministry I know called fresh fire. He has some on-line teachings, and it may help you. Here

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My Pastor is speaking about this very subject over the next few midweek services. I am very excited about it and seeing that you posted this is making me even more excited. I guess at the end of the discussion he and other church elders are going to be available to council others who are feeling disconnected from the Spirit dispite praying for a connection.

I have never had God 'talk' to me in the Biblical sense, but I do see connections or signs all the time. I will be looking for answers on a subject and praying, and then will get information from many different sources (AM Radio, friends, here on CF) when I didn't ask anyone for it. I am convinced that this is how God talks to me, personally.

Upvote 0

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
It is my belief, based on my understanding of NT teaching, that the “Baptism of the Spirit” occurs at the moment we are born of the Spirit, 1 Cor. 12.13 “For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body–whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free–and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” Subsequent to that are times when we are filled with the Holy Spirit.

What happened at Pentecost was, as Acts 2.4 tells us, an infilling of the Holy Spirit (not the Baptism of the Spirit) – “All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.” In this respect I am different from most Charismatics, who see the BHS as a separate “work of grace” from conversion.

Furthermore, tongues may or may not occur when a person is filled with the Spirit. All we have are inferences in the Book of Acts that on many occasions when believers were filled with the Spirit they spoke in tongues. I believe there is as much evidence that a spiritual gift may NOT be “manifested” at the moment a person is filled with the Spirit as there is that a gift may. In this respect I differ from Pentecostals, who see the BHS as a separate “work of grace” from conversion and always [initially] evidenced by tongues

What do you believe?

Jim
\o/

Upvote 0

cheebo

Feb 9, 2004
bmt, tx
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks, guys...for your replies!!!

didaskalos: I understand that I should ask in faith...and I have...so I will definitely try to meditate even more on GOD and praise him and sing to him in my head with all my heart. I guess I'm confused because it seems like people that are filled w/ the Spirit and have been baptised in it know the gifts they have....they are made manifest by the power of GOD's SPIRIT...but I don't KNOW what gifts(spiritual) I have received or how to use them to get closer to GOD. I just thought that I would realize it if I received the BOHS or was filled w/ His prescence, but i did ask in faith.....for the BOHS and to be filled with the HS on many, many occasions. Is my faith weak??? Is it possible to receive and not know it? Thanks for the threads! Actually, I read those days ago when I found this forum. It just seems like the people there asked and they were filled....and they
KNEW they were....and they had evidences(speaking in tongues/prophesying). This has not been my experience. I WILL take your advice, though....thx.

SvT4HiM.....I'm checking out the site, thx.

JimB...I'm kinda new to Christ so I'm just going by what I have read in the Bible and what people have said about their experiences.

About: 1 Cor. 12.13 “For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body–whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free–and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” ....I guess what I believe is that the moment you truly believe and accept Jesus, God puts his seal on you and gives you HIS SPIRIT....but...I think that you receive Gifts and Power when you receive the BOHS and I believe your power is renewed when are filled with the HOLY SPIRIT.
I just thought that there were several instances of people in the bible where they had not known of the Holy SPIRIT, but ALREADY believed in CHRIST...and they did not receive the BOHS or the "filling" of the HS until somebody went and preached to them or laid hands on them. I kinda wish there was a guide that said exactly how this happens....STEP 1....STEP 2... STEP 3.
BUT....I guess the HS has freedom move on people however HE will.
I don't think I should restrict HIM with my ideas....so I'm just trying to keep an open mind.
Thank again, guys.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
cheebo said:
Thanks, guys...for your replies!!!

didaskalos: I understand that I should ask in faith...and I have...so I will definitely try to meditate even more on GOD and praise him and sing to him in my head with all my heart.
It is not meditating more... it is resting in the truth of it. He said the you have received and we really have no choice but to:
(1) believe and acknowledge that He did what He said He would do, or
(2) say He is a liar.

I guess I'm confused because it seems like people that are filled w/ the Spirit and have been baptised in it know the gifts they have....they are made manifest by the power of GOD's SPIRIT...but I don't KNOW what gifts(spiritual) I have received or how to use them to get closer to GOD.
The reason many people do not manifest their gifts is one or both of these:
(1) They are not where the gifts are needed; i.e. you need to be where the sick are and allow the compassion of the spirit of Christ in you to work the gift, or
(2) Some gifts require faith-prophesying to manifest. The spirit of Christ in you must be allowed to speak forth from out of the compassion that burns within.

I just thought that I would realize it if I received the BOHS or was filled w/ His prescence, but i did ask in faith.....for the BOHS and to be filled with the HS on many, many occasions.
God did it the first time you asked. No need to go on asking. Time to start thanking Him for doing what He said He would.

Is my faith weak???
I do not think this is the case.... we have all been given the measure of faith.

Is it possible to receive and not know it?
It is possible to receive and not feel something. It will show up as you continue to thank Him for doing what He said what He would do.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
cheebo,

I have not prophesied or spoken in tongues or any of that stuff I just wanna trully know GOD and live by his instruction.

Hey its great you have such a deep hunger for more of God! But dont stress yourself out wanting to speak in tongues. It'll come. There's no condemnation or inferiority if you haven't spoken yet. Just enjoy you new found love of God and follow your new heart.

Like diddy said, if you've asked and believed (FIRST) that you've received, then you HAVE received!!! Go by faith, not what you understnd, see, hear or feel. Paul says we walk by faith, not by the senses.

The next 'step' is only this: If you ruly believe you have received, then for goodness sake *LOL*, open your mouth, use your lungs and voice box, and tongue and start speaking. If you have to dream up or make up some sounds first, like "ra la ma da ma" or whatever, to help you along, then just do it and keep at it in faith, thanking God you have already received.

You need to step in the water first, and get your feet and pants wet, before the river parts. If you have this idea that the Holy Spirit is going to somehow 'possess' you and shake and rattle your tongue, and cause a funny voice to come out of your mouth, you can wait till the cows come home becos it aint going to happen! He doesn't work that way. He works with you when you cooperate with him. He's a perfect gentlemen and requires your consent and submission to Him.

I'm not trying to be funny, but that's how I received it and that's how the majority of us charismatics received. Granted some are more spontaneous some less spontaneous but we are all unique individuals and like salvation, receive differently -- some cry and see visions, but most don't feel or see anything, but just have a sense of peace within and peace with God.

As you keep at it, there will come a point in time, sooner or later, that it just flows freely out of you. ie you dont have to think up (mental process) of what to say anymore, it just flows out automatically from your belly/spirit -- and it comes out like rushing rivers of sounds or like a machine gun!

Once that happens, just keep speaking and praying in tongues. And if you are not satisfied with just a few syllables, ask God for more and you will receive more, so much so that your tongues begins to sound like any language.

It all boils down to faith my friend. The only thing standing in your way is reasoning, logic and the mind -- that will tell you its silly and that you are making things up. In my experience, I find that that is the main thing causing people not to receive. They try to figure the whole thing out until they reason it all away with their high IQ. The things of God are simple. :)

God bless!

Upvote 0

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
cheebo wrote:
about_: 1 Cor. 12.13 “For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body–whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free–and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” ....I guess what I believe is that the moment you truly believe and accept Jesus, God puts his seal on you and gives you HIS SPIRIT....but...I think that you receive Gifts and Power when you receive the BOHS and I believe your power is renewed when are filled with the HOLY SPIRIT.
I just thought that there were several instances of people in the bible where they had not known of the Holy SPIRIT, but ALREADY believed in CHRIST...and they did not receive the BOHS or the "filling" of the HS until somebody went and preached to them or laid hands on them. I kinda wish there was a guide that said exactly how this happens....STEP 1....STEP 2... STEP 3

We both believe that there are subsequent “experiences” beyond being saved. We just use different terms.

For Pentecostals the BHS is the initial moment your are “filled with the spirit” and it is always accompanied by tongues speaking. The tongues are the “evidence” of the BHS. Afterward, there are many fillings of the Spirit that may occur.

For me (and most in the Vineyard), the term “Baptism in the Holy Spirit” is a term that describes the moment we are converted and become a member the Body of Christ (see 1 Cor. 12.13). Tongues are incidental to this act of the Holy Spirit. Beyond salvation there are subsequent fillings of the Spirit which may/may not include tongues. The laying on of hands, I believe, is also incidental and is not necessary to a person's conversion. Nothing, I have discovered, is as simple as ....STEP 1....STEP 2... STEP 3. That would make Christianity just a formula.

I am a former Assemblies of God minister (30 years, 4 pastorates) and so am very familiar with Pentecostal beliefs and while I do not see things as I was once taught them, I do respect Pentecostal's zeal and their effectiveness in getting the gospel to the world (my brother is an AG missionary in East Africa), however, when you said ...

I'm kinda new to Christ so I'm just going by what I have read in the Bible and what people have said about their experiences

... it set off yellow caution lights. You simply cannot base your faith on the experience of others. You will get many conflicting replies when you ask about experience and, frankly, many expereinces are just off-the-wall. It would be better, even as young a believer as you are, to have every experience verified by the Bible, but even then you need to be careful. We do not all interpret the Bible alike. Just be real careful in your quest for the truth.

Jim
\o/

Upvote 0

cheebo

Feb 9, 2004
bmt, tx
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Taking your advice.....I have decided to trust GOD and believe he has already given it to me.

Hey, while i was reading your posts...i remembered a dream I had a few months ago. Around that time, i think i was fasting 3 days a row every other week or so. It was like i was somewhere and Jesus was in front of me....it was like we were on a mountain...or by a river or somesthing. He was really bright, so i couldn't make his facial features out, but i knew it was him. I think he said something to me, but i don't remember what. I remember i was ecstatic that whole day...and VERY peaceful.

That is no small feat. I was AMAZED!!! Because... it was like i just stopped dreaming a few years ago, but like two years ago i started dreaming again. The problem was....I always died a horrible death....in every dream i had(car-crashes, explosions, violent deaths.....you name it). Personally, i think it was GOD reminding me that i may not have time to repent....you know, i something were to *suddenly* happen to me.

So i did repent, and i had a dream shortly after that(days later?):

I was standing in a straight line with thousands(or more) people and we were all walking in one direction....kinda inching forward person by person.....you know how lines are. It was VERY hot, but it was also pitch black. I couldn't see faces, but i knew
a lotta people were there...they were like silohettes(SP?). It was so hot we could barely breathe. I remember i looked up and my buddy from work was right next to me and he looked really REALLY bummed out, but i was in a good mood...and i think i asked him, "What's wrong?"....and he just looked at me....and we kept walking. We could barely breathe. Then, i saw an extremely bright light....it was little bird....kinda like a dove. It flew down to where i was at....and into my face. I woke up instantly and i prayed.

Those are my supernatural experiences so far. Some of your posts reminded me of that stuff...because i felt really close to GOD and very peaceful on both occasions. I want more experiences like that.

JIM...you said:
... it set off yellow caution lights. You simply cannot base your faith on the experience of others. You will get many conflicting replies when you ask about experience and, frankly, many expereinces are just off-the-wall. It would be better, even as young a believer as you are, to have every experience verified by the Bible, but even then you need to be careful. We do not all interpret the Bible alike. Just be real careful in your quest for the truth.
Jim
\o/

I have noticed that. It seems like everyone has their own personal version(interpretation) of the bible. The bible says that there is wisdom in many counselors...so i usually get as many views as i can, and use the bible to seperate the wheat from the ch*ff(views....not people). I'm not just following(blindly) whoever or whatever idea comes along.....Some of these people are crazy... LOL. Well, they are....really. Ok, i'll shut up. Thanks again for your advice, guys.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
cheebo said:
Taking your advice.....I have decided to trust GOD and believe he has already given it to me.

Hey, while i was reading your posts...i remembered a dream

Those are my supernatural experiences so far. Some of your posts reminded me of that stuff...because i felt really close to GOD and very peaceful on both occasions. I want more experiences like that.
I would suggest that these are leadings to your giftings. Each gift has a form of "utterance"... just like tongues. Once the Holy Spirit "helps our infimities" with this "utterance", it is up to us to take the lead and move in faith.
To do this, you should continue to share these sorts of things with others. If you fail to use the gifts, they can and will fall dormant. This is why Paul told Timothy:

2Ti 1:6
6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

If my speculation about your gifting is true, then you will feel a rising up within yourself when you share these things with others. Always share these things from the heart, with the desired results being the edification, comfort, and exhortation of the believers. It is at that point when you will be most open to speaking forth in tongues and/or prophecy.

Didy

Upvote 0

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.