...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Okay, I just switched to SuSE 10. Now, I've uninstalled and reinstalled it three times now because of this seemingly simplistic problem. 1) Under KDE, whenever I try to change the screensaver (merely opening the screensaver selector) it instantly kicks my session off and takes me back to the login screen. This also happens whenever the screensaver comes up... which is why I try to disable it, but that leads to the same problem, also. :scratch:

And a bit more trivial and unimportant, and less annoying: How the heck do I change the login screen/splash screen using Gnome?

I'll probably figure both of them out eventually, but I remembered this forum was here and figured it'd be a nice way to get some outside ideas.

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
intricatic said:
Okay, I just switched to SuSE 10. Now, I've uninstalled and reinstalled it three times now because of this seemingly simplistic problem. 1) Under KDE, whenever I try to change the screensaver (merely opening the screensaver selector) it instantly kicks my session off and takes me back to the login screen. This also happens whenever the screensaver comes up... which is why I try to disable it, but that leads to the same problem, also. :scratch:

And a bit more trivial and unimportant, and less annoying: How the heck do I change the login screen/splash screen using Gnome?

I'll probably figure both of them out eventually, but I remembered this forum was here and figured it'd be a nice way to get some outside ideas.
I had a weird problem with SuSE also. I kept changing the boot loader setting to boot to XP first but the setting would never hold. I tried it again months later and it magically started working!

I know very little about SuSE or Linux, but have you tried updating SuSE?

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
WalksWithChrist said:
I had a weird problem with SuSE also. I kept changing the boot loader setting to boot to XP first but the setting would never hold. I tried it again months later and it magically started working!

Actually, updating is when the problem started. I managed to tag it to the kernel update, everything else works okay, but when I do that one - the screen saver starts acting up. But I'm not sure what the kernel update has to do with the screensaver. :scratch:

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
intricatic said:
Actually, updating is when the problem started. I managed to tag it to the kernel update, everything else works okay, but when I do that one - the screen saver starts acting up. But I'm not sure what the kernel update has to do with the screensaver. :scratch:
I'm confused on that as well. I guess no OS is immune to faulty updates then! I'm not sure how, but I bet you could report that on the SuSE website.

Upvote 0

superfly

Jan 8, 2005
✟8,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
there's a linux mailing list called "suse linux english" (or sle for short) which i'm on... you can subscribe to it, although i warn you, you will get up to 250 e-mails per day on some days. pm me if you need help, i run suse exclusively, and while i might not be able to solve your problem, i can post to the list or chat with friends who can help.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
WalksWithChrist said:

I've had some problems with SuSE 10 as well. When I choose the "shut down" option, the screen and graphics go haywire. I guess that's what you get from an operating system that's developed by a bunch of C programmers after they get off of work and are already sick of coding.

Upvote 0

rizal

Aug 22, 2005
✟7,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
have you checked your logs? xscreensaver/xscreensaver-demo might be giving out an error message before it crashes. also, try opening it from a terminal and see if it sends any error messages there. hope that helps. also, if you already solved the problem, what did you do to solve it? i'm sure it would help someone out in the future who comes across a similar problem.

Upvote 0