Real and evil Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
For all you so called Orthodox who worship Harry Potter, and say none of it is real, why don't you take a look at what the author herself says...

DR: Is there a certain amount of very sophisticated mythology that you're trying to work in here?

JKR: There's - I'm not trying to work it in, but... If you're writing a book that, I mean, I do do a certain amount of research, and folklore is quite important in the books, so where I'm mentioning a creature or a spell, that people used to believe genuinely worked - of course it didn't - but, you know, it's still a very picturesque and a very comical world in some ways - then I will find out exactly what the words were, and I will find out exactly what the characteristics of that creature or ghost was supposed to be. But I hope that that appears seamlessly. Children often, often ask me how much of the magic is in inverted commas "real" in the books in the sense that did anyone ever believe in this? I would say - a rough proportion - about a third of the stuff that crops up is stuff that people genuinely used to believe in Britain. Two thirds of it, though, is my invention.

And here is the audio if you do not believe the words here..

http://wamu.org/audio/dr/99/10/r1991020-13962.ram

From this webpage..
http://wamu.org/programs/dr/99/10/20.php#13962

repentant

Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
διαβαζετε αγγλικα; Do you read English? She herself said the spells, creatures (demons) were real. 1/3 of it is real as a matter of fact..Did you not read that Mr. Forest?

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Forest

Senior Veteran
Jan 3, 2005
In the Forest
✟19,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
διαβαζετε αγγλικα; Do you read English? She herself said the spells, creatures (demons) were real. 1/3 of it is real as a matter of fact..Did you not read that Mr. Forest?

Hi Mr. repentant,

I did read that.

I just don't believe everything I read, or see at the theater is real. Demons may be real, Harry Potter is not real.

Upvote 0

repentant

Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Mr. repentant,

I did read that.

I just don't believe everything I read, or see at the theater is real. Demons may be real, Harry Potter is not real.

So what do you not believe, that JKR said that? Cause if that is the case, I have put the link to the audio where you can hear it in her own voice.

If it is that you do not believe in witchcraft and that it is not real, that is besides the point. The point is that 1/3 of her books are based on ACTUAL witchcraft practices, rather you think it exists or not. You should also try to work on the delusion you have that witchcraft is not real. Satan is real my friend, and very powerful. Only with Chirst can we fight him, and reading HP and the demonic words in it, is not fighting him, but brings him to you, and God forbid..in you.

Upvote 0

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nice start for a thread. Orthodox who read Harry Potter are not Orthodox, and they pray to Harry Potter, light candles to him and cense his books. Since we worship him. Yes, I adore praying to fictional beings. Moving on.
The whole quote is taken out of context - this is most visible to those who have actually read Harry Potter. First of all, it is the effect of the spells that people believed in. Have people believed some people can fly? Yes. Change shape? Yes. Travel huge distances in a blink of an eye? Yes. Kill or cause misfortune? Yes. But what they didn't believe is using those incantations in the book, which are just a mingle of poor Latin, English and occasionally some other language.
As for "demons" - what demons? Demons aren't mentioned in the book - the author refers to mythical beings that people thought were real: unicorns, vampires (a belief still popular in Serbia), ghosts, trolls... And so on and so forth.
Interesting note: you failed to bold and underline that spells didn't work and that 2/3 of spells/creatures are her own invention.
Talk about bias.
Gotta go before Matrona sees this post. Who knows what she'll do - or what she's capable of!
(Go get 'im Mat! ^_^)

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
“I believe in God, not magic.” In fact, Rowling initially was afraid that if people were aware of her Christian faith, she would give away too much of what’s coming in the series. “If I talk too freely about that,” she told a Canadian reporter, “I think the intelligent reader – whether ten [years old] or sixty – will be able to guess what is coming in the books” (Michael Nelson, “Fantasia: The Gospel According to C.S. Lewis”, The American Prospect, vol. 13, no. 4, February 25, 2002).

"ES: When you talk about dealing with death and loss in the books, does this come out of your own - you've had loss with the loss of your mother - did it come out of a personal spirituality? I mean, are you are religious person? Does your spirituality come from a certain place?
JKR: I do believe in God. That seems to offend the South Carolinians more than almost anything else. I think they would find it…well that is my limited experience, that they have more of a problem with me believing in God than they would have if I was an unrepentant atheist.
ES: You do believe in God.
JKR: Yeah. Yeah.
ES: In magic and…
JKR: Magic in the sense in which it happens in my books, no, I don't believe. I don't believe in that. No. No. This is so frustrating. Again, there is so much I would like to say, and come back when I've written book seven. But then maybe you won't need to even say it 'cause you'll have found it out anyway. You'll have read it (CBCNewsWorld: Hot Type, July 13, 2000).

I've also read that JK Rowling says that she's a Christian and belongs to the church of Scotland - which is I think, Presbyterian. I've read the last Harry Potter book, and indeed it has some Christian ideas and I didn't find that it contradicts my faith. The magic is just mythology, like in Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia.

I hope I'm not causing any division, I'm not here to start an argument...I just wanted to present the other side of the issue to keep it fair.

God bless.

monica

Reactions: KoolKat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nickolai

Eastern Orthodox Priest
Dec 31, 2003
Bethlehem, PA
Visit site
✟10,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know I had a wonderful conversation for about a half hour with Fr. John Behr a few weeks ago about how Christian The Harry Potter series was. This was of course after he pulled his copy of Deathly Hallows out of his bag, telling me how excited he was that he was going to finish that night.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know I had a wonderful conversation for about a half hour with Fr. John Behr a few weeks ago about how Christian The Harry Potter series was. This was of course after he pulled his copy of Deathly Hallows out of his bag, telling me how excited he was that he was going to finish that night.
I would be interested to hear what the Hieromonk Patrick would say about Harry Potter. Somehow I don't think he is a big fan of it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guineverelyndy

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.
Feb 25, 2006
California
✟8,696.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, let's look at what she actually said.

"Children often, often ask me how much of the magic is in inverted commas "real" in the books in the sense that did anyone ever believe in this? I would say - a rough proportion - about a third of the stuff that crops up is stuff that people genuinely used to believe in Britain. "

Read it. She didn't say it's "real" in that it actually works. She said it's "real" in that people have actually believed it before.

What if I actually believed that my toaster oven would fly across the room if I put a plastic bag full of salt under my pillow every night and said "Pumpernickel" three times while standing on my head? That would be a "spell" in a sense. An utterly ridiculous one, too. Would doing this be harmful to my spiritual health? Most likely, yes. Would telling a story about me doing it be harmful to your spiritual health?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.