Tee_w

Oct 29, 2008
England UK
✟7,912.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend who claims to faithfully read the Bible every day. However I have since discovered that this not quite reading the Bible in the traditional sense, but rather reading a single verse or part verse of scripture in the morning.

Has anyone any comments on this, do you think it is an adequate way of reading the Bible?

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a good way to not understand the context of the scripture and therefore miss the meaning completely. It would be like me reading your post like this.

Day 1: "any comments on"
Day 2: "single verse"
Day 3: "read the Bible"
Day 4: "discovered that"
Day 5: "claims to faithfully read"

I wouldn't make any sense.

Upvote 0

Tee_w

Oct 29, 2008
England UK
✟7,912.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What I failed to mention was these scriptures are on a calender and each day my friend tears off the previous days scripture to reveal the new scripture for the day. The scriptures seem to be ordered randomly from the old and new testament and sometimes they are not that helpful. An example would be; “Today you will be with me in paradise.”

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I used to read a chapter of the Bible every day. Did this faithfully for many years. What did I get out of it? Well first off, I got my allowance from my dad who was paying me to read it! ;)

There are other benefits as well, even if we read the Bible just to say we did it. I mean, I imagine that is why someone reads a calendar but claims he is reading the Bible everyday? He gets brownie points with other Christians; especially the type that are taught in church that it's good to read it everyday!

God's Word goes into us and changes us, no matter what our motivations are for reading it.

Upvote 0

Tee_w

Oct 29, 2008
England UK
✟7,912.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
]Is your friend a baby Christian? If so I could understand. Myself, I need actual reading(study/meditate) of the bible to receive direction for my life and ministry![/quote]

My friend is a baby Christian in experience but not in years. She has been a Christian for over 30 years but in terms of her relationship with God you would think she was recently born again. Her background is free evangelical ( they don't believe in baptism in the Holy Spirit.) Although she has attended pentecostal/charismatic churches for years now. However, she doesn't experience God's presence in a meeting and doesn't seem to hear his voice.

In fact I wonder if she feels she needs too, having a good organizable brain and being disciplined in her natural life, her need of God seems to be minimal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeffwo

~ In His service ~
Aug 9, 2002
Mississippi
Visit site
✟16,230.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
]Is your friend a baby Christian? If so I could understand. Myself, I need actual reading(study/meditate) of the bible to receive direction for my life and ministry!

My friend is a baby Christian in experience but not in years. She has been a Christian for over 30 years but in terms of her relationship with God you would think she was recently born again. Her background is free evangelical ( they don't believe in baptism in the Holy Spirit.) Although she has attended pentecostal/charismatic churches for years now. However, she doesn't experience God's presence in a meeting and doesn't seem to hear his voice.

In fact I wonder if she feels she needs too, having a good organizable brain and being disciplined in her natural life, her need of God seems to be minimal. [/QUOTE]

This scripture comes to my mind in this situation..."Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters." Rom. 14:1 NIV

Usually when I begin to question another Christian I just try to love em anyway. If they have accepted Jesus as their savior, we can have fellowship, one with another and He will lead them at their own pace.

It's the ole 'work out your own salvation'... thing.

Peace!
Jeff

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have a friend who claims to faithfully read the Bible every day. However I have since discovered that this not quite reading the Bible in the traditional sense, but rather reading a single verse or part verse of scripture in the morning.

Has anyone any comments on this, do you think it is an adequate way of reading the Bible?
My best friend does this and knows the Scriptures as good or better than anyone I know .

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟441,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
]

In fact I wonder if she feels she needs too, having a good organizable brain and being disciplined in her natural life, her need of God seems to be minimal.

Can I ask what is your concern for your friend? Why are you so concerned about her Bible reading habits?

(Is there some reason for your concern?)

Just wonderin' ...
:)

Upvote 0