Reading the Bible

battlingbeauty

Jan 31, 2010
✟163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today I got a NIV Bible. It's really beautiful: it's thinline, the pages are gilded with silver colouring (if gilded is the right word... I turn the book on it's side and pages look silver from the outside), it's cover is toasted almond and it has a little tab that's chocolate and a silk bookmark that's chocolate. When Jesus talks, the text is red. I was going to get a study Bible, but the cheapest was $80, and I just don't have that sort of money right now.

So, now that I have a Bible version that I can get through without pausing to translate it or try to work out what's under all the biro scribblies (I was previously using a KJV version that my church gifted to me second-hand), I want to start to read the Bible religiously. I want to read every day.

I want to learn about everything in the Old Testament - especially in the first few books and the last few books - but I also want to learn everything that I can about Jesus! I'm hearing great things about Paul, too! Oh no, I haven't got a clue where to begin! :confused:

Can somebody help me, please? I don't know whether to start reading at Matthew and work through the New Testament, or whether to start reading at Genesis and work through the whole Bible. What should I do?

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that John is one of the best places in the Bible for a new Christian to start. Getting a strong foundation in Christ must be a high priority, and I think that the beautiful book of John is wonderful. Explore your new Bible and learn how to use it. Take your time and explore the cross-references, margin notes, and any other helps your Bible has. Also, look in the back of your Bible to see if it has a concordance or topical reference to help you look things up that you find of interest as you begin your studies.

I'm sure that others will offer differing opinions. I just hope that I helped you some.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, 357magnum! I'm sure that your advice will come in handy. I've moved my bookmark to the start of John. :)
MY SISTER,

i would agree with 357magnum that the Gospel of John is the best place to start learning your Bible. He is not called "the beloved disciple" for nothing!

i would add, also, that it might be best to have read through and thoroughly studied the New Testament before tackling the Old. The Old Testament is best understood in the light of an understanding of the New. If both are read at once, things can get REALLY confusing.

Don't forget to pray before opening your Bible for study--praying that the Holy Spirit will guide you, open your heart and mind to the Truth within God's written Word, and help you to retain and act upon what you learn.

MAY YOU BE BLESSED IN YOUR SEARCH FOR GOD'S TRUTH!

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
John is good. I'd've recommended any of the four Gospels.

You're right not to just start at Genesis. The farthest I ever got through the Bible that way was Judges. When I finally did read it it was by starting with Matthew, then Genesis and Exodus, then Mark, then Leviticus and Numbers ... and so on. (Since the Old Testament has so many more books than the New, you have to adjust the rotation accordingly.) As you go along, you'll see how the Old and New tie together; and encounter all the "it is writtens" that Jesus and the Apostles talk about.
I presume your NIV comes with maps in the back. Consult them! It helps to know at least roughly where all those ancient place names are, to have the lay of the land. Also, if you can get hold of one, a good Bible dictionary.
You'll probably come up with a lot of questions you can't get answers to immediately. Don't let them stop you. Sometimes the answers will come as you read further; and there will be those in your church who can help. Eventually you'll want to find a good Bible study course. When I did, I found it helpful that I'd already read it through.

Upvote 0
S

Silvershade

I also would have to agree with starting at the Gospel of John. It gives a great display of who Jesus really was, what he did, and why he did it. The entire Bible basically all points to the coming of Jesus the Savior as the main 'point', so if you get a decent knowledge of that point in history, you then know who the Messiah that the Jewish nation are waiting for in the early books for example.

After you finish John, it might be worth your while going through one or more of the other gospels. Each gospel tells basically the same story, about Jesus' time on earth, but each author shows a different characteristic of Jesus in focus.

The Gospel of Matthew is written to present Christ as the King, the Messiah who the Old Testament prophecies pointed to.
The Gospel of Mark presents his character as a servant.
The Gospel of Luke presents him as the Son of man -- as man in his essential humanity.
The Gospel of John presents him as the Son of God, that is, his deity, and there you find the greatest claims for his deity.

They aren't contradictory at all, but complimentary.

I'd also recommend 1 John.... my fav book of the Bible. Only 5 chapters, but oh so awesome in explaining why we should live for God and not for ourselves.

After that, Paul's letters are basically a review of doctine (our beliefs), God's amazing plan to save us, and how we should live now that our lives have been changed. There's some confusing stuff in there, but that's just because it's so rich with meaning. If anything hurts your brain (and trust me, first chapter of Ephesians hurt mine big time and is now one of my favourite parts of the Bible!!!), don't be discouraged. There's some things that God will slowly enlighten you to so you don't get overwhelmed!

If you need anything, no matter how silly, just ask! I'm here to help!

-Silvershade-

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read the Bible through 3 times, but when I finiahed - I felt like "I have read the Bible from front to back."

I did not get the full meaning by doing this - then I had a time to really be with the Lord for 3 years - I worked away from home and had lots of time to spend with the Lord - I used this time to really get into the Word.

Someone told me if I would read a chapter in the NT, a chapter in the OT and some Psalms and reflect on what I have read that I would understand the Bible better.

I did this and they were so right - now when people speak of the Bible your mind will take you right to what they are referring to. It no longer is just words, but a guideline to how we are to live implanted into our hearts.

When you find something that is confusing - stop and re-read it - ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand it. Become a part of the Bible, pray, talk to Jesus ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and you will really get more from the Bible and it will become your very make-up.

Upvote 0

redneckmedic

It's OK, Christians were meant to be persecuted
Jun 13, 2008
Indpls, IN
Visit site
✟7,682.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I started my biblical foundation I didn't a New Test study, its revitalizing and inspiring. The old test is difficult to me compared to the new test. I am starting the Bible in a year again for the 4th time, maybe this time I can make it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Don't feel guilty for going out of order. The order just reflects a general chronology, not a God-instructed way to read His Words.

There are many historical details that are hard to appreciate until you've read easier parts. Eventually it comes together more neatly.

People tend to do well with the inspiring books that give more direct insights for daily life. The more historical books can lead to insights, but they're not always stated.

There's a good topical list of books of the Bible here --it describes what you're getting into before reading. A little paste:

D. PROPHETIC BOOKS
The Promises of God. God offering Himself.
ISAIAH--Cleansing of God
JEREMIAH--Judgment of God
EZEKIEL--Presence of God
DANIEL--Mind of God
HOSEA--Persistence of God
JOEL--Ultimate Meaning
AMOS--Perfection
OBADIAH--Spiritual Victory
JONAH--Patience
MICAH--Pardon
NAHUM--Destruction
HABAKKUK--Ultimate Answers
ZEPHANIAH--Jealousy of God
HAGGAI--Integrity of God
ZECHARIAH--Encouragement
MALACHI--Responsibility of God

B. HISTORICAL BOOKS
The Perils of the Pathway.
JOSHUA--Peril of premature contentment.
Example of Grace--Joshua
JUDGES, RUTH--Peril of consecrated ignorance.
Example of Grace--Ruth
1 SAMUEL--Peril of legalistic conformity and divided allegiance.
Example of Grace--David and Jonathan
2 SAMUEL, 1 CHRONICLES--Peril of a forgotten calling.
Example of Grace--David's repentance.
1 KINGS, 2 CHRONICLES--Peril of material magnificence and religious deceit.
Example of Grace--Elijah
2 KINGS, 2 CHRONICLES--Peril of moral abandonment and the hardened heart.

Example of Grace--Hezekiah and Josiah
EZRA, NEHEMIAH, ESTHER--Peril of the discouraged heart.
Example of Grace--The personal life of each.

Upvote 0

GotScripture

Feb 5, 2007
✟7,686.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to learn about everything in the Old Testament... but I also want to learn everything that I can about Jesus... where to begin! Can somebody help me, please? I don't know whether to start reading at Matthew and work through the New Testament, or whether to start reading at Genesis and work through the whole Bible. What should I do?
You said, "I also want to learn everything that I can about Jesus." If you do, then remember where Jesus said the information about him could be found -- "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

When Jesus said "they are they which testify of me" he was, of course, NOT referring to the books of the New Testament (as they were not yet written). The scriptures he was referring to were the books that are now grouped together in the portion of the Bible that is labeled the Old Testament". So avoiding the OT is not something that someone seeking to learn about Jesus would want to do, especially since this provides the context in which the NT writings need to be understood.

Given that, and given your expressed desire to read every day, you might want to try getting your hands on a "One Year Bible". The Bible that is sold by this name is in a format that presents the whole of scripture broken up into 365 daily reading portions, with each day having some OT, some NT, some Psalms, and some Proverbs.

This type of daily reading plan can be followed using a regular Bible, but the pre-segmented daily layouts of this format can help Bible students to stay on track. If you miss a day or several, then you can either try to catch up on the missed days or you can simply pick up reading on the day you are on and cover the missed days either when you have time or when you return to those days next year.

We are not all an eye or and ear, so this is just food for thought, but this sort of daily mix of OT/NT/Ps/Pr has proven very helpful for some people. FYI

Upvote 0

christian08

Dec 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
✟15,138.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You've already got so many posts. LOL that's good I hope... Here's what I recommend. This is what NATURALLY happened in my walk thus far. When I first came to the Lord, I couldn't even conceive of the KJV, the NKJV was even a little sensitive to me. LOL Luckily I had a customized gidt bible in the NLT translation. BOY did it get me going. I read through the NT, except revelation, then the OT and THEN the book of revelation. After that, the Lords Spirit educated me, like C.S. Lewis obserced-Christianity itself is an education, and it's true. Since then, I've been reading the NKJV AND the KJV. MAINLY the KJV is for study because it's edited by an awesome theologian for greek translations. ANYWHO! About where to begin, that's up to you and where the Lord guides you. BUT, if you have just recently been saved or not but still feel you haven't learned enough? Then begin from the Gospels and the rest of the NT, except revelation-my opinion, b/c it's heavy and it refers ALOT to OT prophecies. Then run through the OT, and when you do, it's amazing how much of the old Law relates to our Lord. Well I hope this begins to guide you a little. Anything else i'll be more than glad to discuss more with you. ;) God bless and may the Good Lord guide your fellowship with Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rabbi77

Jan 29, 2010
✟15,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John is a good start, I start there and read through the rest of the new testament then I start the old testament to get familiar with the teachings so when a pastor preaches, I'll know what he is referring to.

I have read the bible numerous times and I get something new out of it each time.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟421,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible can be challenging to read at certain points. I highly recommend a good commentary to assist you. I personally use the "Bible Knowledge Commentary" by the Dallas Theological Seminary, which comes in 2 volumes. If you are short on funds, buy only the New Testament volume.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Start in Matthew... then work towards Revelation. Skip Luke and Mark if you get bored and read John- lots of good stuff all over it, chapters 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, and 19-21 are all great. Romans is a bit tough, kinda like John... as for the OT, skip the laws about offerings and sacrifices or you'll be bored out of your mind. The rest is pretty interesting... geneologies are a bit boring too.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship