Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Christians are supposed to be people of wisdom, good sense and a reasonable approach to issues. It would be nice if they could actually read the posts that are presented in this, or any other forum, especially if they exceed 140 characters! Then, if there is something that is questionable, they should seek to discover what the author was trying to say before commenting.

The usual approach is for people to pick out a word or two that they do not like and make comments that are mostly irrelevant to the issues at hand. This is in keeping with the modern, and popular, 'sound byte' mentality but it is unworthy of anyone who claims to be guided by the Spirit of God.

It is true that everyone has an opinion. It is decidedly not true that every opinion is worthwhile! Most are not. The value of any opinion is discovered in the quality of the presentation. The internet makes it possible for anyone to spout their viewpoint. Reading most of what is written, and seeing the quality, or lack of quality, proves that most opinions need to remain in the realm of silence.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Although no advice was specifically requested, I'm not sure this should be moved. Maybe we could still offer advice on communication skills.

Internet discussion forums are informal. This means anyone with an opinion can voice it and although it may not seem worthwhile or valid, the truth is that it is worthwhile and valid to the person who gives it. Most of the time, opinions come from personal experience, so by saying that some opinions are not worthwhile, you are invalidating that person's experience. And most of these people have no one in their lives who have actually taken the time to really listen to them. We all need to be heard, we all need to be validated, we all need to feel worthwhile, and like we have something worthwhile to contribute to the world.

So my advice here to the OP is that you don't have to approve of everything people say here, you don't have to agree, you can despise their presentation, and you can think their opinion unworthy. For those you do, just ignore them - or take the time to do the very things you suggest in your post: "...actually read the posts that are presented..." Sometimes you will actually read that people simply need to be heard in spite of not having much to say, or that they are simply reaching out with a need to feel like they belong somewhere, or that their experience is different than yours, or whatever else you might find behind the veil of the presentation or words themselves.

Upvote 0

Lords Man

Feb 15, 2016
Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Although no advice was specifically requested, I'm not sure this should be moved. Maybe we could still offer advice on communication skills.

Internet discussion forums are informal. This means anyone with an opinion can voice it and although it may not seem worthwhile or valid, the truth is that it is worthwhile and valid to the person who gives it. Most of the time, opinions come from personal experience, so by saying that some opinions are not worthwhile, you are invalidating that person's experience. And most of these people have no one in their lives who have actually taken the time to really listen to them. We all need to be heard, we all need to be validated, we all need to feel worthwhile, and like we have something worthwhile to contribute to the world.

So my advice here to the OP is that you don't have to approve of everything people say here, you don't have to agree, you can despise their presentation, and you can think their opinion unworthy. For those you do, just ignore them - or take the time to do the very things you suggest in your post: "...actually read the posts that are presented..." Sometimes you will actually read that people simply need to be heard in spite of not having much to say, or that they are simply reaching out with a need to feel like they belong somewhere, or that their experience is different than yours, or whatever else you might find behind the veil of the presentation or words themselves.
My stand is philosophical not sociological.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I wasn't looking for any.

Just as a heads up. The advice forum is only for asking for advice and then someone responds. Not someone just opening a thread in order to give advice.

I believe the theology section is for that particular kinda of post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lords Man

Feb 15, 2016
Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Just as a heads up. The advice forum is only for asking for advice and then someone responds. Not someone just opening a thread in order to give advice.

I believe the theology section is for that particular kinda of post.
Sorry. Try to do better in the future.

Upvote 0