• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Rash vows

Discussion in 'Bibliology & Hermeneutics' started by dl_17, Mar 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dl_17

dl_17 New Member

+0
    Indonesia
    Christian
    Single
    Considering all the "fulfill your vows" and "swear to your own hurt" verses, how would one interpret Leviticus 5:4-6? What does "good or evil" mean here? Does it encompass every type of vow made in ignorance/haste? Does confessing the making of the rash vow as sin annull the vow?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,603
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    More than once I have had to admit the vows I have made were the expression of emotion, somewhat analogous to a child taking himself seriously. God knows. But yes, we will have to give account. Thank God for his grace and mercy --and patience.

3. Jeshu

Jeshu Bought by His Blood Supporter

+6,864
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    It is best never to vow, for rarely can we do it. Luckily Jesus forgives us our sins when we confess them to Him and He cleanses us of all guilt.

Thank Jesus for salvation and ask Him to teach you not to make rash vows.

4. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+3,358
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I don't know all that, but those passages do explain Judges 11:30-39.

5. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,492
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Jesus dealt with it very clearly and simply in Matt 5:33-37.
    He said Do Not swear an oath/vow, but say Yes or No.

6. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+2,942
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The evil or good is pointing out that even if you make a vow to do something sinful and then fail to do it you have still committed a sin by making that vow.
    Scripture seems indicate that the only vows that can be resinded are vows of a woman, those can be overruled by her father or husband as indicated in Numbers 30:3-8. Jephthah's Tragic Vow in Judges 11:30 would seem to indicate that his daughter had to die but scholars point out that she was actually required to remain a virgin and suffer the loss of future children because she was dedicated to the Lord, while Jephthah suffered the loss of his future generations. It would seem therefore that a vow may be fulfilled in ways that do not result in sin.

7. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,702
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, especially if driven by OCD.

If the vow is still worthwhile [not OCD], you can resume honoring it,
    but if it goes against the Bible or more clear direction from the Holy Spirit,*
    God does not expect us to abide by it.

"Come now, you who say,
    'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city,
    spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit';​
    whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow.
    For what is your life?
    It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.
    Instead you ought to say,
    'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.' ” James 4:13-15 NKJV​
    ~~~~~​
    *"I vow to go North for You, Lord..."
    "But I want you to go South...!"​
    To Obey Is Better Than Sacrifice, Keith Green (1979)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  8. dl_17

dl_17 New Member

+0
    Indonesia
    Christian
    Single
    Yeah, this was my intention of asking it (sorry, I know it's a compulsion, but I really am troubled by it). Long story short, I don't know if I made a vow or not, and I can't live my life assuming I did. Here's the thread about it OCD Vows

9. dl_17

dl_17 New Member

+0
    Indonesia
    Christian
    Single
    Sorry, I'm trying to understand this. I know Jesus cleanses us of all sin, but what is the sin here? Does one sin only when he break the vow (which doesn't seem like what Lev 5 says but every other vow verses) or he sinned when he made the vow? Does forgiving him mean he can live freely, away from the vow?

10. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,702
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    All of your vows (before God) are void if they are driven by OCD. (Just repent for them when you realize that you have done so.)

You still have an obligation to any paper contracts that you sign as a legal adult, however.