Rainbow, God made this after Noah's Flood.

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
We have accepted that 1 + 1 = 2, because it helps to substantiate the arbitrary qualities of those, and other elements we can use from the same type of group, able to be operated upon with similar operators

Tell that to a set theorist.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Tell that to a set theorist.

I talk about this to mathematicians all of the time. It is well known that mathematics is axiomatic at the foundation. This is something you learn in a first year algebra course when you are pounded with definitions, lemmas, corollaries, and theorems. Most people take this for granted, because they use base 10 and 12 mathematics every day, and figure that it must be based on concreteness - since it physically applies to our life, and we can "see" the math working and making sense.

Those sets - or mathematical objects - are by definition abstract objects. So, a set theorist should understand what I am saying from their own intellectual foundation.

All math comes from axiomatic assertions that create a foundation for us to apply meaning to abstract and arbitrary objects we choose to represent something. This goes for all disciplines; it is all arbitrary and abstract.

The number "1" is an element that comes from a set of objects - that are arbitrary. There is no such thing as a ring; we define what a ring is, and appropriate it to the mathematics. There is no such thing as "1," we appropriate that symbol as an element of the real integers, for example: "1" is not a fundamental object of nature; you won't find it in nature. What you perceive in nature is its quantatative representation in nature based on the axiomatic definition we have made of the symbol to explain facets of nature.

Sets are abstract and arbitrary; there is no such thing as a set, as it were mathematically, in nature. We have defined the axiomatic foundations of a set such that we can it in "concrete" life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT SET IN THE CLOUDS

This thread has been through a substantial clean.
Please refrain from any further flaming of one another,
or all further posts to this thread will be cut off.​

MOD HAT DISSIPATED

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm a Christian and I believe the story to be symbolic in nature. In the light of scientific discoveries over the last 500 years it no longer makes sense in a literal understanding. That doesn't mean the story is not true, it just means that it is not factual. Think "parable".

God wiping out nearly all life on earth is symbolic of what? Isn't it just a flood legend being retold from earlier sources?

Also one such flood legend, so I have heard, is from a religion with an archer deity who then sets down his bow (the rainbow) as a gesture of peace. The Bible ripped that story off and here we are.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe rainbows were created by God, as was everything else, as a consequence of the laws of physics (which we are still discovering). I don't believe that the Bible's explanation is true - more a story written by those 'touched' God and looking for an explanation.
By "touched" you mean slightly crazy?

the definition of touched

Upvote 0

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, I mean literally touched by God - spoken to (not literally) by Him or made aware of Him.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Strange things are claimed on forums sometimes which causes one to wonder.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God wiping out nearly all life on earth is symbolic of what? Isn't it just a flood legend being retold from earlier sources?

Also one such flood legend, so I have heard, is from a religion with an archer deity who then sets down his bow (the rainbow) as a gesture of peace. The Bible ripped that story off and here we are.
From a Christian viewpoint the real account of the Flood event was passed on via the line of true worshipers through Shem to Abraham, to Moses while the twisted accounts you mention arose among those who chose false worship as is evident in the Babylonian pantheon of gods.
PART THREE: THE LINEAGE OF SHEM

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe rainbows were created by God, as was everything else, as a consequence of the laws of physics (which we are still discovering). I don't believe that the Bible's explanation is true - more a story written by those 'touched' God and looking for an explanation.
If they were touched by God as you believe, then how could their explanations be false?

Upvote 0

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If they were touched by God as you believe, then how could their explanations be false?
Because people often misinterpret ‘Him’ – that’s how we’ve ended up with so many different religions, all espousing the same basic message (love one another). Of course, many Christians (and members of other religions) believe these different faiths to be works of the Devil.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because people often misinterpret ‘Him’ – that’s how we’ve ended up with so many different religions, all espousing the same basic message (love one another). Of course, many Christians (and members of other religions) believe these different faiths to be works of the Devil.
I was referring to the ones who wrote the Bible by being touched or inspired via holy spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So was I.
In that case you would be contradicting the scripture that tells us that such things were written for our instruction and are not flawed.

Psalm 12:6
The words of the LORD are pure words; As silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven times.

Upvote 0

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't believe that all scripture is unflawed. People are always prone to make mistakes. And different people will interpret writings differently.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The best evidence of God is all around us.

One must be careful so as to not harden their heart to reject that.

Absolutely true!

Romans 1:20
New International Version
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Isn't it wonderful how easily atheists can swallow a play on words, which only works in English, as being a scholarly accepted matter of fact.

Regular English gentlemen, them ancients were.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it wonderful how easily atheists can swallow a play on words, which only works in English, as being a scholarly accepted matter of fact.

Regular English gentlemen, them ancients were.

I don't entirely disagree with your point, but I would think the story he's referring to is more to do with the shape of the rainbow resembling an archery bow rather than word play.

Upvote 0