sg
✟218,041.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Belief in Jesus the Christ would be asking a lot of someone who lived before the Incarnation, wouldn't you say? That isn't what was expected of people in OT times.

That was why, for example, Cain had to offer the correct sacrifice genesis 4:7, to be right with God.

God did not tell him to believe right but rather to do right.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That was why, for example, Cain had to offer the correct sacrifice genesis 4:7, to be right with God.

God did not tell him to believe right but rather to do right.
Yes, that was God. But the focus was not on the Son of God, the second person of the Trinity who took on a human nature as Jesus of Nazareth, taught, and died for the sins of mankind.

It is faith in Christ that leads to salvation for us, so it is not the case that people who never knew him or about him because they lived before the Incarnation could have accepted him as their personal Lord and Savior. Most of them lived at the time when the Law was in force.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,041.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that was God. But the focus was not on the Son of God, the second person of the Trinity who took on a human nature as Jesus of Nazareth, taught, and died for the sins of mankind.

It is faith in Christ that leads to salvation for us, so it is not the case that people who never knew him or about him because they lived before the Incarnation could have accepted him as their personal Lord and Savior. Most of them lived at the time when the Law was in force.

Yes, we are blessed as David stated in romans 4. We have imputed righteousness thru Christ, something he never had.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Now That my issues may delayed my baptism, I’m worried.
No need to be worried ... water baptism is NOT required to be saved!
It is a physical statement of sincere faith to God and to other believers ... that is all.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I realize there may not be a simple answer to these questions.

1-if I have accepted Jesus as my savior, is baptism required?
Christ said to be baptized, and why pass up the grace and the affiliation with the Christian faith by NOT being baptized?

I’m 40, was never Baptized as a child. I’ve been a believer for a long time, I just never sought out church membership and baptism. Now That my issues may delayed my baptism, I’m worried.

Can you be saved if unbaptized? Technically, yes. But that usually applies to people for whom being baptized is an impossibility for one reason or other, not someone who simply chose not to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian
I realize there may not be a simple answer to these questions.

1-if I have accepted Jesus as my savior, is baptism required? I have not been baptized, and am in the process of joining a congregation and would be baptized after becoming a member. For reasons too complicated to bring up here (regarding my mental health) I may need to put membership on hold. Which would delay baptism. If I die would I go to Hell?

2-if due to my issues I cannot join and get baptized soon, and baptism is required for salvation, are there pastors who will baptize you without you having a relationship with their church? Is this a legitimate thing to do?

I’m 40, was never Baptized as a child. I’ve been a believer for a long time, I just never sought out church membership and baptism. Now That my issues may delayed my baptism, I’m worried.
Water baptism isn't required for salvation. Faith, alone, in Jesus as your personal Savior saves.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism isn't required for salvation. Faith, alone, in Jesus as your personal Savior saves.
Taking that thought further, would you also say that reception of the Lord's Supper is not worth doing? Or church attendance? Or a dozen other things that the Bible commends to the disciples of Jesus Christ but which are not, technically, required for salvation?

Upvote 0

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian
Taking that thought further, would you also say that reception of the Lord's Supper is not worth doing? Or church attendance? Or a dozen other things that the Bible commends to the disciples of Jesus Christ but which are not, technically, required for salvation?
They're all worth doing; but none of them saves.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They're all worth doing; but none of them saves.
Fair enough. It's just that every time this subject comes up the posts flood in saying that faith is it, nothing more, and the poster thinks therefore -- or appears to think -- that churches, sermons, sacraments, and all the rest are not worth their bother or, worse, are some sort of scam.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,041.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough. It's just that every time this subject comes up the posts flood in saying that faith is it, nothing more, and the poster thinks therefore -- or appears to think -- that churches, sermons, sacraments, and all the rest are not worth their bother or, worse, are some sort of scam.

The problem is that water baptism seems to take on a special significance in many churches, over and above those other things you have stated.

I have met Christian folks on their deathbeds, or at the last few years of their life, and when I asked them "How do you know you are saved", quite a number of them actually replied to me, "Because I have been water baptized!"

Its quite scary when you hear that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that water baptism seems to take on a special significance in many churches, over and above those other things you have stated.
I'm not sure that I'd agree with that except that Baptism is the sacrament that makes one a member of Christ's church, so I suppose that makes some difference.

But it does not guarantee salvation or prevent sin or some of the other things that people who are disinterested in Baptism for some reason that I cannot quite appreciate say traditional Christians attribute to Baptism.

I have met Christian folks on their deathbeds, or at the last few years of their life, and when I asked them "How do you know you are saved", quite a number of them actually replied to me, "Because I have been water baptized!"
I doubt that. But if that's true, including that language which is normally only used by people who devalue Baptism ("water baptism") it must be very few. In any case, there are some people in every church who misunderstand what their churches have taught them.

Upvote 0