St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know, but I think it's because God performed a miracle through them so God wouldn't make a mistake and do that with someone who was going to hell.

And then for those where no miracle (or two actually are needed for the saints) can be proven like with the authors of the Bible for example, God still worked thru them so I think it's fair to say, God would not work through someone who would go to hell.

=====

1 Samuel 10:11

And when all who knew him previously saw how he prophesied with the prophets, the people said to one another, “What has come over the son of Kish? Is Saul also among the prophets?”

-----

1 Samuel 16:14

Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and a harmful spirit from the Lord tormented him.

-----

And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD did not answer him, either by dreams, or by Urim, or by prophets. Then Saul said to his servants, “Seek out for me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her.” And his servants said to him, “Behold, there is a medium at En-dor.”
So Saul disguised himself and put on other garments and went, he and two men with him. And they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Divine for me by a spirit and bring up for me whomever I shall name to you.” The woman said to him, “Surely you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off the mediums and the necromancers from the land. Why then are you laying a trap for my life to bring about my death?” But Saul swore to her by the LORD, “As the LORD lives, no punishment shall come upon you for this thing.”
(1 Samuel 28:6-10 ESV)

----

1 Samuel 31:4 (1 Samuel 31)

Then Saul said to his armor-bearer, “Draw your sword, and thrust me through with it, lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and mistreat me.” But his armor-bearer would not, for he feared greatly. Therefore Saul took his own sword and fell upon it.

=====

If one looks at the progression of Saul's life from anointed king to committing suicide, we do see that the LORD uses any kind of person to do his will as he so pleases.

To make the claim that God cannot work through someone who "is going to hell" is absurd. All human beings are under the penalty of sin and only salvation by the grace of God can rectify that. Take a look at how God used Pharaoh and others who were not serving the LORD in their hearts.

I am not saying that Saul is damned; only God knows for sure. However, it is clear that someone who turned their back on trusting the LORD can still be used of God. The claim of the RCC of sinless perfectionism amongst its canonized saints is simply not logical or scriptural. The claim that God does not use wicked people to accomplish his will is also absurd and unscriptural.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

file13

A wild boar has entered in the vineyard
Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think the main difference would be that the Saints declared by the Roman Catholic Church have already died and are past the time of meriting, i.e. being able to believe in Christ, which can only be done on earth.

We yeah, I got that. But do you see what they're implicitly saying by claiming to know that someone who has departed has been saved? The only way for someone to know if someone else has gone to heaven or hell would require them to have prophetic insight, aka, special revelation. Thus, we have to put these people to the biblical tests to see if they are real prophets, because they claim supernatural prophetic insight.

But of course, this never happens.

Interestingly enough, you have the exact same problem with ex cathedra statements. They imply that the Pope has some kind of special prophetic insight into God's will that regular folks do not have. Thus, according to the tests of a prophet, the Pope should have to pass the these tests in order to make ex cathedra statements.

But of course, this was never done.

This is what I was getting at. ;)

Upvote 0

file13

Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know, but I think it's because God performed a miracle through them so God wouldn't make a mistake and do that with someone who was going to hell.

Can demons perform miracles according to what God has revealed about Himself in Scripture? If so, how can we know the difference?

And then for those where no miracle (or two actually are needed for the saints) can be proven like with the authors of the Bible for example, God still worked thru them so I think it's fair to say, God would not work through someone who would go to hell.
As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.
(Genesis 50:20 ESV)
As you can see, according to what God has revealed about Himself to us, He clearly does use evil for good as He has shown us in the example of Joseph.

Also, as our brother has pointed out, Pharaoh is a classic example of God using a wicked person from good. But we find this all over Scripture, especially in the prophets, where God uses wicked nations to punish Israel.

Upvote 0

CallofChrist

Site Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can demons perform miracles according to what God has revealed about Himself in Scripture? If so, how can we know the difference?

As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.
(Genesis 50:20 ESV)
As you can see, according to what God has revealed about Himself to us, He clearly does use evil for good as He has shown us in the example of Joseph.

Also, as our brother has pointed out, Pharaoh is a classic example of God using a wicked person from good. But we find this all over Scripture, especially in the prophets, where God uses wicked nations to punish Israel.

We sure could make quite a list of wicked people and nations that were used of God for chastisement or to work out the over-arching will of God.

Judas, the "son of perdition" as he is also called in scripture, did perhaps the most wicked sin of all in betraying our Lord Jesus, yet did that not serve God's purposes?

I agree, brother, that God causes or uses second causes in his plans.

The mediation of saints to reach God is unnecessary. There are counterfeit "miracles" performed by anti-God people testified of in the Bible. Why would we put our trust in such things when we have a direct line to the Father of Lights, who gives us all good things? That direct line is his Son, Jesus, the express image of God... the one who brings us in union with himself and the Father!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Servent of Yeshua

I know I spelt Servant wrong, lol.
May 25, 2010
London
✟7,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Scriptures are quite clear that the body of believers - that is to say, Christians, are the saints - and not just those so-called 'exceptionally holy' individuals "beatified" and "canonized" by Rome.

First, let us consider some Biblical proofs:

Ephesians 4:11-13 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;

(One must needs not be posthumously elected a "Saint" by the Holy See to do the work of ministry, nor to edify the body of Christ - the notion itself is contradictory, at the very least).

Ephesians 5:3-5 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

(The 'saints' are those who have inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God - that is, Christians - the body of believers in Christ).

Let us now consider the etymology of the word:

Merriam-Webster defines 'saint' thusly: "Middle English, from Anglo-French seint, saint, from Late Latin sanctus, from Latin, sacred, from past participle of sancire to make sacred. First Known Use: 13th century."

My Latin ain't too good, so for this we turn to Wiktionary: "Perfect passive participle of sanciō (“consecrate, appoint as sacred”) sānctus m (feminine sāncta, neuter sānctum); first/second declension; sacred, made inviolable, having been established as sacred."

The Greek cognate is 'Hagios.' Strong's Concordance:

Sanctum "Saint" and Hagios "Holy" mean the same thing - sacred and/or holy. 1 Corinthians 1:2 illuminates this point in translation:

To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ...

(Paul is not calling the Corinthian congregation "exceptionally holy" - he is calling all Christians, everywhere, sanctified in Jesus and holy or sacred to God).

It makes little sense that saints (believers, the body of Christ) should pray to fellow "Saints" - especially dead ones. As has been said before, God is there for us. The atonement gave us a direct line. By virtue of Christ's death and resurrection we are no longer separated from Him. Asking the 'exceptionally holy' deceased to petition God on our behalf is akin to denying that we are reconciled to the Father through the sacrifice of His Son, among a whole host of other theological offenses.

The Roman practice of canonization stems from a deliberate interpretation of the Latin word sanctus, deliberate in that the church literally consecrates and establishes as sacred certain believers, creating a hierarchy of deceased Christians ranked by faith consistent with the Roman church's historical belief in its own supremacy and authority - but not found in, or remotely supported by, Scripture.

We agree much more than you would imagine.

I don't dispute the communion of saints in heaven; those one's that have obtained full holiness, but as Saint Paul says, "we are called to be holy." Full holiness is not obtained until we are in heaven, because nothing unclean can enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

However, there are people here on Earth that do obtain full holiness and those are the saints. Well how do we know who a saint was and who wasn't since we cannot view one's soul? A long process indeed as you mentioned, but one thing is used to start with, miracles. We can all agree a person does not perform miracles. God is the one who performs the miracle, through another person. Well in order to be a saint, one must have at least two miracles. Now, I have never prayed to a saint, but I have prayed quite often to God through a saint, with a pretty high success rate.

You quite blatantly ignored and twisted what he went through so much effort to explain to you. What he posted basically destroyed your perception of saints.

Reactions: needinganame
Upvote 0

stephenmendes

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
✟7,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Roman Catholic Church magnifies ITSELF above the Lord Jesus Christ.... and anybody who is not a Roman Catholic can easily see this... even some Roman Catholics know this, but they just dont know what to do about it.

As for receiving "good results" from prayers made through Saints and Mary.... you can add that to the category of "bleeding" statues... and other "amazing phenomena".

The manifestation of DEMONIC activity is rampant because they have forsaken the TRUTH and descended into heresy.... and why ?... because of IDOLATRY... and the demons have the people under strong delusion, lest they "see" the TRUTH and come to FULL SALVATION through Jesus Christ alone.

On "Stephen's Bible Insights", which teaches on many Scriptural topics, I have clearly shown how PAGAN OCCULTIC RITUAL gradually infused the Roman Church, leading (as might be expected) to all manner of (spiritually) devastating consequences.

The Roman Catholic fascination with CANDLE MAGIC, SYMBOLS, OBJECTS and CHANTING is in common with all other MAN-MADE RELIGIOUS SYSTEMS.... it has been known for centuries that DEMONS attach themselves to OBJECTS under such MAN-MADE CONDUCIVE conditions and manifest all kinds of "supernatural" phenomena (in the Roman Catholic context it all seems so holy and GOOD but the demons love to cause spiritual CONFUSION which keep people blinded to their true spiritual state)

When we check the life of Jesus and the work of the Apostles after Pentecost we see how we are supposed to interact with our Creator... who wants to communicate with each one of us personally, but we are not willing and like the Israelites (Exodus 20:18-19) we crave a human "intermediary"... but Jesus came to make it possible for us to have direct fellowship with GOD.... I challenge any Roman Catholic to open their own Roman Catholic Bible and READ IT, it may come as a shock to them... when they discover for themselves that what their priest tells them is mostly CONTRARY to their very own Bible.... Luke 11:52-53 is just as true for the Roman Catholic hierarchy as it was for the Scribes and Pharisees.

Upvote 0

Foghorn

Saved by grace
Mar 8, 2010
New England
Visit site
✟36,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know this is a presbyterian thread, but it seemed a bit less crowded here than on the non-denominational side of things.
I'm a Catholic and only 18, but understanding that no matter one's faith they must examine it before defending it so I thought I'd ask some questions here.

The main one is where in the Bible does it say we cannot pray to God thru the intercession of saints?
It doesn't. But, where does it teach us to pray to the deceased saints? All the teaching is about praying to God only.
Also where did the Bible come from?
You mean God's word? From God, of course.

And why do some Protestants label the Pope as the antichrist?
Personally I believe what scripture teaches about the antichrist, the pope reflects perfectly.

Your welcome. :)

Upvote 0

Foghorn

Saved by grace
Mar 8, 2010
New England
Visit site
✟36,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know much, but I do know the infallible teachings of the Pope must be based upon or not contradict Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. I don't think God makes mistakes so naturally I wouldn't think God's church would be capable of making mistakes (when God is relied upon for answers).
No, God does not make mistakes, but humans do. think about this for a moment: Name one apostolic tradition that God's word does not support? I tell you, you will not find any.

Now name some traditions from the RCC that scripture does not support, I tell you, you will find many.

I don't know much, but I do know the infallible teachings of the Pope must be based upon or not contradict Sacred Tradition
Exactly what do you think sacred tradition is?

Upvote 0

needinganame

May 25, 2011
Colorado, USA
✟7,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know this is a presbyterian thread, but it seemed a bit less crowded here than on the non-denominational side of things.

I'm a Catholic and only 18, but understanding that no matter one's faith they must examine it before defending it so I thought I'd ask some questions here.

The main one is where in the Bible does it say we cannot pray to God thru the intercession of saints?

Also where did the Bible come from? And why do some Protestants label the Pope as the antichrist?

Thanks.
From my belief, understanding and upbringing, I am inclined to refer to Exodus 20:3 "Have no other gods before ME". It appears rather plain and simply stated to me.

So you should ask some questions... Is prayer a form of worship? In prayer, do you kneel before the Lord God Father Almighty? Are you bearing false idols in the form of saints that adorn the altar many Catholics kneel before? To whom are you talking to (praying), the saint or God The Father Almighty? By praying to the saint are you ignoring the ever presence and omnipotence of God to hear you prayer? Are the saints God Incarnate Himself or are they souls once sinners and now saved?

So from what I have read both in this reference and His proclamation He is the I AM, the reference to Exodus 20:3 is a very clear command, as I read, to get on my knees specifically and exclusively for God The Father Almighty. My fear in praying to saints, other than the obvious, is that it also leads to idolatry.

I pray my fear of The Lord would sink as deeply into my sinful life as my respect for this very first Commandment. I would encourage you to think about this. Having been raised Presbyterian and still worshiping under that doctrine I have a hard time defending your Catholic faith, largely because I know little of the doctrine. My response is not in criticism of Catholicism, but in defense of my understanding of Calvinism.

My son came home from a visit with his aunt, whom is Catholic. He asked his mother if he could build an altar for the saints to set in his bedroom. While I can appreciate is desire for worship, this really scares me in the Name of The Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This forum is not for debate about the articles of faith posted clearly for the forum. Those wanting to debate topics need to move to one of the forums set up for debate.

AMR

Upvote 0
B

Basil the Great

I think earlier folks already did a good job of answering your question, but I did find a strange conundrum in something you said.

Have you ever noticed how Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians reject the notion of assurance (the concept that we can be assured of our salvation), but then go on to proclaim that such and such an individual is not only saved, but is in fact, is able to take requests for intercession. How do they know if someone is saved or not? Can't someone do millions of good works but still die with an un-pardoned mortal sin?

How exactly does that work? Does the Magisterium claim to have a special prophetic insight into heaven?

I am a strange one, for I agree and disagree with all three branches of Christianity on a variety of issues. I tend to agree with the RCC and the EOC re: that we cannot be certain of our salvation. However, I do not believe that the RCC or the EOC has the supernatural ability to know who is in Heaven. Hence, I am quite leery of the declarations of sainthood, especially since two Grand Inquisitors are considered saints by the RCC.

Upvote 0

SMA12

Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom
May 24, 2012
✟15,509.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From my belief, understanding and upbringing, I am inclined to refer to Exodus 20:3 "Have no other gods before ME". It appears rather plain and simply stated to me.

So you should ask some questions... Is prayer a form of worship? In prayer, do you kneel before the Lord God Father Almighty? Are you bearing false idols in the form of saints that adorn the altar many Catholics kneel before? To whom are you talking to (praying), the saint or God The Father Almighty? By praying to the saint are you ignoring the ever presence and omnipotence of God to hear you prayer? Are the saints God Incarnate Himself or are they souls once sinners and now saved?

So from what I have read both in this reference and His proclamation He is the I AM, the reference to Exodus 20:3 is a very clear command, as I read, to get on my knees specifically and exclusively for God The Father Almighty. My fear in praying to saints, other than the obvious, is that it also leads to idolatry.

I pray my fear of The Lord would sink as deeply into my sinful life as my respect for this very first Commandment. I would encourage you to think about this. Having been raised Presbyterian and still worshiping under that doctrine I have a hard time defending your Catholic faith, largely because I know little of the doctrine. My response is not in criticism of Catholicism, but in defense of my understanding of Calvinism.

My son came home from a visit with his aunt, whom is Catholic. He asked his mother if he could build an altar for the saints to set in his bedroom. While I can appreciate is desire for worship, this really scares me in the Name of The Lord.

Hi I am jumping in on the conversation a little late. But I feel comparing asking the Saints for intercession to committing idolatry based on the first commandment is a stretch. After all do you not ask your loved ones to pray for you? I could say to you, why not go directly to Jesus, instead of "worshiping" your loved ones by asking their intercession?

So if you do ask your loved ones to pray for you to Jesus (I assume you think this allowed according to scripture, correct me if I am wrong), then the only real difference in our beliefs is that we believe the Body of Christ and the Kingdom of God are not bound by death, and through God's power, He allows us to communicate with those in Heaven.

God bless.

Upvote 0

ThatWhichIsnt

evidence trumps all
Apr 20, 2011
✟8,158.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi I am jumping in on the conversation a little late. But I feel comparing asking the Saints for intercession to committing idolatry based on the first commandment is a stretch. After all do you not ask your loved ones to pray for you? I could say to you, why not go directly to Jesus, instead of "worshiping" your loved ones by asking their intercession?

So if you do ask your loved ones to pray for you to Jesus (I assume you think this allowed according to scripture, correct me if I am wrong), then the only real difference in our beliefs is that we believe the Body of Christ and the Kingdom of God are not bound by death, and through God's power, He allows us to communicate with those in Heaven.

God bless.
Difference between praying for and praying to.

Upvote 0

file13

Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Hi SMA12!

Concerning worship, if we read the NT in context, we find that the Jews were extremely careful to not perform acts that are equated with worship. In fact, if we look at the reaction to the apostles to people "bowing down" to them or even angels, we find that they are horrified.
When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I too am a man.”

Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.” For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
(Acts 10:25-26; Revelation 19:10 ESV)
As you know, veneration of saints (and by saint, I'm meaning the RCC and EO understanding of a departed holy person who can allegedly take requests and perform miracles) can involve bowing and praying (sometimes chanting) a scripted invocation to a departed saint, and sometimes touching and/or kissing artifacts that belonged to the saint (including their dead body parts). So I can see why people would equate asking departed saints to pray for people here with worship based on these facts. In fact if we take the 7th Ecumenical Council at it's word, you're anathema if you don't venerate icons.

Now, regarding the idea of asking someone to pray for you, we are commanded to pray for each other and there's nothing wrong with asking with asking for living people who can hear or read your petition to pray for you.

The problem with asking departed saints (as understood by the RCC and EO) is then twofold:

1. There is a communication problem.
  2. There is no way to know who a saint is without a claim to supernatural revelation.
#1 is pretty straight forward. Even if the apostle John is in paradise right now, what makes us think that he's aware of when we call on him? For that matter, even if he could hear us, what makes us think he could do anything for us? When we look at Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture for any evidence of this, we're met with silence.

Since protestants (not to mention Reformed ones) only believe that Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture (and the rest of Scripture) to have the authority to bind our conscience on spiritual matters (based on the fact that Scripture itself represents special or supernatural revelation...i.e. it is God's revealed and recognized will), and since Apostolic Tradition is silent on the matter, we must reject it. It does not matter if numerous church fathers approved of the practice because church fathers do not have the same authority as Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture because to claim they do, is to claim that they are prophets who have the gift of special revelation. So yes, we can acknowledge that in later tradition we find this practice, but since it lacks Apostolic Tradition, it must be rejected as that which does not represent the revealed will of God to His church, but rather a tradition of fallible men.

Concerning #2, this is the curious contradiction we find in churches like the RCC and EO. Both of these churches reject Sola Gratia -> Sola Fide. They do so on the basis that justification (in fact, all aspects of salvation) involve a combination of faith and works. They also believe that anyone can fall from grace at any time. Thus, there is no way to know if anyone is saved until after that person is dead. But of course, how do you know this person "was saved" (aka on their way to purgatory and then heaven)? They only way we can know this is with a claim to supernatural revelation. The Magisterium (in the case of the RCC) implicitly implies that they have such knowledge (as does the Pope when speaking ex cathedra). But of course, once one claims to have supernatural revelation, they are claiming to be a prophet. Prophets are tested. We is not the Pope or Magisterium tested?

So as you can see, we do not believe the practice has Apostolic, and thus, divine sanction (since we do not find it in Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture), and thus, must be rejected as an innovation. We also find the practice to demonstrate what looks like the church talking out of both sides of it's mouth when it claims that no one can be secure in their salvation while calming that such and such a person is not only saved, but can take requests (they apparently have a form of invocation telepathy) and perform parlor miracles on request. In fact, in many cases they also become to the go to dude (or dudette) for a particular problem. We not only find this to lack any divine sanction, but we also find it to bear a striking resemblance to hermetic magic, where one invokes a certain "spirit" for a certain reason.

So as you can see, it's not as simple as "don't you ask your mom to pray for you." We're talking about being able to communicate with the dead through supernatural means. We can claim all day long "we're not praying to them, but rather asking them to pray for us!" But the fact remains, you're claiming that you can communicate supernaturally with the dead. What do we call people who claim to be able to commune with the dead?

How did you come to the conclusion that Christ allows this? Do we find this from divine revelation as recorded in Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture?

Again, do you see again why we reject this claim as not having sufficient authority to bind the conscience of the believer?

I don't expect this to convince you, because you no doubt carry with you other presuppositions that Peter's ship has the supernatural authority that is equal to Apostolic Tradition. But I do hope that you at least come away understanding our POV. We do not believe that anyone has the authority to make later conscience binding claims. As our confession says regarding God's revealed will as recorded in Scripture:
The supreme judge by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture. - WCF I
This is the essence of "Sola Scriptura." We're happy to consult other sources for information and some sources, like reason and tradition, are indeed authoritative if handled wisely. But they still do not have the same authority (either individually or collectively) as the revealed and recorded will of God.

Finally, please remember that this isn't a debate forum. I'm trying to share with you why we reject this practice so you can hopefully better understand us.

Hope this help and God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SMA12

Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom
May 24, 2012
✟15,509.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi SMA12!

Concerning worship, if we read the NT in context, we find that the Jews were extremely careful to not perform acts that are equated with worship. In fact, if we look at the reaction to the apostles to people "bowing down" to them or even angels, we find that they are horrified.
When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I too am a man.”

Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.” For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
(Acts 10:25-26; Revelation 19:10 ESV)
As you know, veneration of saints (and by saint, I'm meaning the RCC and EO understanding of a departed holy person who can allegedly take requests and perform miracles) can involve bowing and praying (sometimes chanting) a scripted invocation to a departed saint, and sometimes touching and/or kissing artifacts that belonged to the saint (including their dead body parts). So I can see why people would equate asking departed saints to pray for people here with worship based on these facts. In fact if we take the 7th Ecumenical Council at it's word, you're anathema if you don't venerate icons.

Now, regarding the idea of asking someone to pray for you, we are commanded to pray for each other and there's nothing wrong with asking with asking for living people who can hear or read your petition to pray for you.

The problem with asking departed saints (as understood by the RCC and EO) is then twofold:

1. There is a communication problem.
  2. There is no way to know who a saint is without a claim to supernatural revelation.
#1 is pretty straight forward. Even if the apostle John is in paradise right now, what makes us think that he's aware of when we call on him? For that matter, even if he could hear us, what makes us think he could do anything for us? When we look at Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture for any evidence of this, we're met with silence.

Since protestants (not to mention Reformed ones) only believe that Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture (and the rest of Scripture) to have the authority to bind our conscience on spiritual matters (based on the fact that Scripture itself represents special or supernatural revelation...i.e. it is God's revealed and recognized will), and since Apostolic Tradition is silent on the matter, we must reject it. It does not matter if numerous church fathers approved of the practice because church fathers do not have the same authority as Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture because to claim they do, is to claim that they are prophets who have the gift of special revelation. So yes, we can acknowledge that in later tradition we find this practice, but since it lacks Apostolic Tradition, it must be rejected as that which does not represent the revealed will of God to His church, but rather a tradition of fallible men.

Concerning #2, this is the curious contradiction we find in churches like the RCC and EO. Both of these churches reject Sola Gratia -> Sola Fide. They do so on the basis that justification (in fact, all aspects of salvation) involve a combination of faith and works. They also believe that anyone can fall from grace at any time. Thus, there is no way to know if anyone is saved until after that person is dead. But of course, how do you know this person "was saved" (aka on their way to purgatory and then heaven)? They only way we can know this is with a claim to supernatural revelation. The Magisterium (in the case of the RCC) implicitly implies that they have such knowledge (as does the Pope when speaking ex cathedra). But of course, once one claims to have supernatural revelation, they are claiming to be a prophet. Prophets are tested. We is not the Pope or Magisterium tested?

So as you can see, we do not believe the practice has Apostolic, and thus, divine sanction (since we do not find it in Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture), and thus, must be rejected as an innovation. We also find the practice to demonstrate what looks like the church talking out of both sides of it's mouth when it claims that no one can be secure in their salvation while calming that such and such a person is not only saved, but can take requests (they apparently have a form of invocation telepathy) and perform parlor miracles on request. In fact, in many cases they also become to the go to dude (or dudette) for a particular problem. We not only find this to lack any divine sanction, but we also find it to bear a striking resemblance to hermetic magic, where one invokes a certain "spirit" for a certain reason.

So as you can see, it's not as simple as "don't you ask your mom to pray for you." We're talking about being able to communicate with the dead through supernatural means. We can claim all day long "we're not praying to them, but rather asking them to pray for us!" But the fact remains, you're claiming that you can communicate supernaturally with the dead. What do we call people who claim to be able to commune with the dead?

How did you come to the conclusion that Christ allows this? Do we find this from divine revelation as recorded in Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture?

Again, do you see again why we reject this claim as not having sufficient authority to bind the conscience of the believer?

I don't expect this to convince you, because you no doubt carry with you other presuppositions that Peter's ship has the supernatural authority that is equal to Apostolic Tradition. But I do hope that you at least come away understanding our POV. We do not believe that anyone has the authority to make later conscience binding claims. As our confession says regarding God's revealed will as recorded in Scripture:
The supreme judge by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture. - WCF I
This is the essence of "Sola Scriptura." We're happy to consult other sources for information and some sources, like reason and tradition, are indeed authoritative if handled wisely. But they still do not have the same authority (either individually or collectively) as the revealed and recorded will of God.

Finally, please remember that this isn't a debate forum. I'm trying to share with you why we reject this practice so you can hopefully better understand us.

Hope this help and God bless!

Hi file13! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my statement and I really appreciate the charitable and courteous manner in which you did so!

I do realize we won't be able to convince each other and that is perfectly fine. I appreciate hearing the other side of the story, it helps me and challenges me to learn about my own faith, ultimately bring me closer to Christ.

I could a try to go point by point with the topics you brought up, but there are so many facets it would be a headache for us both!

I do have one question though, just out of curiosity. It seems like in your post there was a negative connotation with regards to supernatural revelation?

We do believe God makes it known to us when a person was a Saint, and He does so to give us examples to look to (not worship) as a way to live a life according to His will. And of course this would have to be done supernaturally, that is to say God telling us it's so, because as humans we can't make that judgement, just as we can't make such a judgement for ourselves. ( maybe that clears up the "talking out of both sides of its mouth" concern you had, or at least our belief about it?)

Now maybe you meant you just don't believe such supernatural revelations to be morally binding? And actually, not many people know, neither does the Catholic church. As a Catholic I am not morally bound to ask the Saints for intercession, or even Mary for that matter. But it is definitely encouraged as we feel it is an awesome gift to help us grow in our relationship with Christ.

Thank you and God bless!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why does it matter so much who is a saint? Are the saints given special supernatural powers? If there is communion between living and dead, I would think you could ask your dead grandmother to pray for you. If the saints are simply people who Christians particularly value, then it's less important making an official list of them and verifying whether someone is on it.

Upvote 0

file13

Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi file13! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my statement and I really appreciate the charitable and courteous manner in which you did so!

My pleasure and thanks be to God if any good came out of it!

I do have one question though, just out of curiosity. It seems like in your post there was a negative connotation with regards to supernatural revelation?

No, not at all. We don't have a problem with supernatural revelation at all. In fact we could even argue that we can't know anything at all without presupposing supernatural revelation, but that's another story. The issue here from our POV is that if one claims to have supernatural revelation, then one is making a claim of prophecy. If one makes prophetic claims, one claims to be a prophet. Prophets have tests to verify they are prophets.

So when we look at these prophetic claims by the Magisterium or the Pope, we have to ask, why are they not tested as prophets? If you're claiming supernatural revelation, prove it. Being a successors of a successor does not meet the Biblical standards that God has revealed regarding prophets.

We would also (i.e. traditional Presbyterians) ask them same burden of proof for charismatics who claim this gift has returned (or never died out).

So those are some of the issues we have with claims of supernatural revelation. In the case of the RCC, we do not believe that such claims are founded upon anything other than tautology. I.e. "We're the One True Church because we say we're the One True Church." Of course the RCC would again, likely appeal to Peter as "the Rock," but we do not find this argument to justify what the RCC church is now even if we were to believe that Peter is "the rock" (which of course, is not even agreed upon by the ancient church...Augustine said the rock was Christ...). Of course, ancient churches besides the RCC (like the EO) would also appeal to apostolic succession. But again, we don't find this compelling, especially so in the RCC sense when we consider the harsh rebuke of Paul to the gentile Roman church:
Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them. For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? If the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, so is the whole lump, and if the root is holy, so are the branches.
But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree, do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you. Then you will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again. For if you were cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and grafted, contrary to nature, into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree.

(Romans 11:13-24 ESV)
Again, I'm just trying to share our POV here to hopefully help you better understand why we reject RCC claims to authority. We do not find sufficient justification for the idea of a "One True Church" headed by a successor of Peter who is capable of speaking infallibly on behalf of God, solely on the basis of his position to be found in Apostolic Tradition as recorded in Scripture. Thus, it clearly appears to be a later innovation, as even some RCC scholars today admit:
The further question whether there was any notion of an enduring office beyond Peter's lifetime, if posed in purely historical terms, should probably be answered in the negative. That is, if we ask whether the historical Jesus, in commissioning Peter, expected him to have successors, or whether the authority of the Gospel of Matthew, writing after Peter's death, was aware that Peter and his commission survived in the leaders of the Roman community who had succeeded him, the answer in both cases is probably "no."...If we ask in addition whether the primitive Church was aware, after Peter's death, that his authority had passed to the next bishop of Rome, or in other words that the head of the community at Rome was now the successor of Peter, the Church's rock and hence the subject of the promise of Matthew 16:18-19, the question, put in those terms, must certainly be given a negative answer.

- Papal Primacy, Klaus Schatz, pgs 1-2
We do believe God makes it known to us when a person was a Saint, and He does so to give us examples to look to (not worship) as a way to live a life according to His will. And of course this would have to be done supernaturally, that is to say God telling us it's so, because as humans we can't make that judgement, just as we can't make such a judgement for ourselves. ( maybe that clears up the "talking out of both sides of its mouth" concern you had, or at least our belief about it?)

Gotcha. What supernatural means does the Magisterium employe when discerning who's in heaven and who is not? Since they have this power, can we go to them and determine if my grandparents are in heaven or hell?

Now maybe you meant you just don't believe such supernatural revelations to be morally binding? And actually, not many people know, neither does the Catholic church. As a Catholic I am not morally bound to ask the Saints for intercession, or even Mary for that matter. But it is definitely encouraged as we feel it is an awesome gift to help us grow in our relationship with Christ.

True. We would however point out that this is another inconsistency between the RCC, where they pick and choose out of their own Tradition. Again, according to the 7th ecumenical council, you are anathema if you do not venerate icons:Of course, there are holy images of departed saints and the Theotokos, and the act of veneration itself (dulia) is a part of the invocation of the saints according to the church. Thus, if you are consistent with your own councils, you must venerate and thus, invoke saints or be anathema. If this is the orthodox catholic faith, then invocation of the saints is not optional. It's an expression of the catholic faith.

Now of course, I do agree with you that there's not Jesuits in bushes waiting to ambush bad Catholics who don't invoke the saints. But the point is that if one has issues with the invocation of the saints, one has issues with the Roman Catholic faith.

Thank you and God bless!

No worries and thank you for the cordial conversation and for respecting the forum you're in! Pax!

Last edited:
Upvote 0