Questions about Moses and the Burning Bush Passage

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Matthew 14:25
And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. 26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."

The significance of Yeshua's response - "It is I" - is much more powerful and meaningful than most Bible readers realize. In Hebrew, Yeshua did not say "It is I" but rather "I AM", which is a direct assertion of His deity. God revealed His name to Moses as I AM.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Yeshua spoke of His omnipresents this way.

Matt 18:20 “For wherever two or three are assembled in my name, I am there with them.”

Yeshua also speaks of always being with us

Matt 28:20 “And remember! I will be with you always, yes, even until the end of the age.”

The only way He can keep His Word is because He is God.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
When Yeshua took on flesh, He empties Himself....

Philippians 2:
6 Who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to cling to, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in human likeness.

He grew....

Luke 2:40
And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

Which means that He gave up all to learn it again like a human. It means we are given enough to also know Him, our Creator and Redeemer.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
The angel
Colossians 1:15
Who is the image of the invisible Elohim, the firstborn of every creature:

Hebrews 1:1
Elohim, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,
and
Colossians 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

RABBI Kimchi... The Lord is the King Messiah; He is also the Angel of the Covenant.

RABBI Aben Ezra ... The Lord is both the Divine Majesty, and the Angel of the
Covenant, for the sentence is doubled.

Targum Gen. 19:4 And the MEMRA (Word) of YHVH caused to descend upon the peoples of Sodom and Gomorrah, brimstone and fire from YHVH in heaven.

According to Targum Onkelos, this MEMRA of YHVH that Abraham trusted in:

Genesis 44:1 After these things the MENRA of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision....
and

Jerusalem Targum Gen. 22:14 And Abraham worshipped and prayedin the name of the MEMRA [Memra] of YHVH,and said, "You are YHVH who does see, but You cannot be seen."
Targum Onkelos on Gen. 28:20-2 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying,"If the MEMRA [word] of YHVHwill be my support, and will keep me in the way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,so that I come again to my father's house in peace;then shall the MEMRA of YHVH be my Elohim.
and King David also urged Israel to trust in the MEMRA of Yah as the
Targum of Psalm 62 reads:

Trust in the MEMRA of YHVH at all times,O people of the house of Israel! Pour out before Him the sightings of your heart; Say, Elohim is our trust forever.
The "MEMRA of YHVH" was, according to Targum Jonathan, the Creator:

Targ. Jonathan Gen. 1:27 And the MEMRA of YHVH created man in his likeness, in the likeness of YHVH,YHVH created, male and female created He them.
Maybe we all should read the Targum.. it might inspire us also.
Jerusalem Targum Ex. 3:14
And the MEMRA [Memra] of YHVH said to Moses: "I am He who said unto the world 'Be!' and it was: and who in the future shall say to it 'Be!' and it shall be." And He said:"Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: 'I Am' has sent me to you."
The Fragmentary Targum of the Torah also expresses that the MEMRA of YHVH was the Creator:

Fragmentary Targum Ex. 12:42 The first night, when the "MEMRA of YHVH"was revealed to the world in order to create it,the world was desolate and void,and darkness spread over the face of the abyssand the "MEMRA (Memra) of the Lord" was bright andilluminating and He called it the first night.
The MEMRA (Memra) was also the covenant maker. For example the covenant was between the MEMRA and all mankind:

Targum Onkelos Gen. 9:17 And YHVH said to Noah,"This is the token of the covenant which I have established between My MEMRA [Memra] and between all flesh that is upon the earth.
The MEMRA also made the Abrahamic covenant as Targum Onkelos alsoparaphrases:
Targum Onkelos Gen. 17:7
And I will establish my covenan between My MEMRA [Memra] and between you
The MEMRA of YHVH is the savior is expressed here:

Targum Jonathan Is. 45:17, 25

But Israel shall be saved by the MEMRA of YHVH with an everlasting salvation By the MEMRA of YHVH shall all the seed of Israel be justified

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While teaching the Gospel of John, I become convinced that John thought Jesus was Yahweh. Then looking through the rest of the Bible, I became convinced as well.

This truth appeals to me because I wondered what Jesus was doing before his incarnation.

Likewise, I felt a bit uncomfortable for God to install his son as King over Isreal when the son has seemingly been sitting on the sofa eating popcorn for Isreal's entire existence.

But if Jesus is Yahweh, he has clearly been intimately involved with Israel from the beginning. This also magnifies the tragedy of Isreal rejecting Jesus.

Question: If Jesus is Yahweh, is the Father also Yahweh?

Upvote 0

GedaliahMaegil

Messianic Ger Toshav - not christian
Jun 19, 2020
California
Visit site
✟71,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
While teaching the Gospel of John, I become convinced that John thought Jesus was Yahweh. Then looking through the rest of the Bible, I became convinced as well.

This truth appeals to me because I wondered what Jesus was doing before his incarnation.

Likewise, I felt a bit uncomfortable for God to install his son as King over Isreal when the son has seemingly been sitting on the sofa eating popcorn for Isreal's entire existence.

But if Jesus is Yahweh, he has clearly been intimately involved with Israel from the beginning. This also magnifies the tragedy of Isreal rejecting Jesus.

Question: If Jesus is [edited], is the Father also [edited]?

Please, do not be flip with the Name of HaShem.

Upvote 0

GedaliahMaegil

Messianic Ger Toshav - not christian
Jun 19, 2020
California
Visit site
✟71,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Does that mean you disagree with the OP conclusions?

Read the SOP for the Messianic Judaism section of the forum board. Then, you will know what I meant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did read it. And I still do not understand what you are getting at. Please explain. Thanks.
I'm guessing that since you are Christian, like me, and not Messianic, your OP has too much teaching in it.

Here is the relevant rule you may be breaking:
*Congregational Rules: Do not teach or debate in any "Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not."

I'm sure your question is fine, but it has so much scriptural support that you appear to be teaching or debating something, even if you don't mean to.

• Friendly
Reactions: Acts29
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Question: If Jesus is Yahweh, is the Father also Yahweh?

The three are one:

1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

They share one name: Matthew 28:19

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Except Jesus is co-creator of all things, and He appears all over the Old Testament.

Upvote 0