Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Jesaiah said:
Hi folks! :wave:

What are the passages of Scripture that support the belief that God first comes and regenerates man's soul before he has faith in God?

I know many will mention Ephesians 2, but what are some others?

Thanks and God bless!

Jesaiah

the best links list page on the topic is at:
http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/topic/ordosalutis.html

from there:
http://www.tulip.org/acc/sco/sco3.htm

berkof is always a good writer
http://www.ccel.org/pipeline/1-html/5-berkhof-summery/Berkhof 19.htm

Upvote 0

MKalashnikov

No longer a member of CF. As per Romans 12:9
Jun 1, 2004
✟3,748.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
HERE ARE A FEW:

Joh 6:37 All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will in no way cast out.
Joh 6:38 For I came down from Heaven, not to do My own will but the will of Him who sent Me.
Joh 6:39 And this is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all which He has given Me I should lose nothing but should raise it up again at the last day.
Joh 6:40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes on Him should have everlasting life. And I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:41 Then the Jews murmured about Him, because He said, I am the bread which came down from Heaven.
Joh 6:42 And they said, Is this not Jesus the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How now does this One say, I have come down from Heaven?
Joh 6:43 Jesus therefore answered and said to them, Do not murmur with one another.
Joh 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who has sent Me draw him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

(No one can come unless they are drawn, all who are Drawn WILL come.)

Joh 10:24 Then the Jews encircled Him and said to Him, How long do you make us doubt? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly. Joh 10:25 Jesus answered them, I told you and you did not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me.
Joh 10:26 But you did not believe because you are not of My sheep. As I said to you,
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
Joh 10:28 And I give to them eternal life, and they shall never ever perish, and not anyone shall pluck them out of My hand.
Joh 10:29 My Father who gave them to me is greater than all, and no one is able to pluck them out of My Father's hand.
Joh 10:30 I and the Father are one!

(The Elect, know Jesus, those who do not believe do not believe because they are not the elect.)

Joh 13:18 I do not speak of you all; I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture might be fulfilled, "He who eats bread with me has lifted up his heel against me."
Joh 13:19 From now I tell you before it comes, so that when it happens you may believe that I AM.

Rom 9:11 (for the children had not yet been born, neither had done any good or evil; but that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who called,)
Rom 9:12 it was said to her, "The elder shall serve the younger."
Rom 9:13 As it is written, "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."
Rom 9:14 What shall we say then? Is there not unrighteousness with God? Let it not be!
Rom 9:15 For He said to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."
Rom 9:16 So then it is not of the one willing, nor of the one running, but of God, the One showing mercy.
Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "Even for this same purpose I have raised you up, that I might show My power in you, and that My name might be declared throughout all the earth."
Rom 9:18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He will have mercy, and whom He will, He hardens.
Rom 9:19 You will then say to me, Why does He yet find fault? For who has resisted His will?
Rom 9:20 No, but, O man, who are you who replies against God? Shall the thing formed say to Him who formed it, Why have you made me this way?
Rom 9:21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel to honor and another to dishonor?
Rom 9:22 What if God, willing to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much long-suffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction;
Rom 9:23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy which He had before prepared to glory;
Rom 9:24 whom He also called, not only us, of Jews, but also of the nations?

(This is one of the clearest passages in the Bible on this topic, and it even answers the objections to the doctrine in 19-24)

Eph 1:4 according as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
Eph 1:5 having predestined us to the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
Eph 1:6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, in which He has made us accepted in the One having been loved.

(We were chosen before the Foundation of the World, by Grace, according to God's will, not ours.)
2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brothers beloved of the Lord, because God has from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth,

2Ti 1:9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given us in Christ Jesus before the eternal times.
2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God stands sure, having this seal: "The Lord knew those who are His." And, "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity!"

Upvote 0