be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Female members are free to answer my question as well:

Are guys usually okay with marrying someone who is not their 'ideal'? In other words, are guys okay with marrying just about any woman for the sake of comfort and avoiding loneliness?

I sometimes have conversations about marriage with guys, and it seems like the answer is about marrying a woman, and that's about it.

DaedraSun

A Refraction of Light
Sep 24, 2014
✟999.00
Faith
Other Religion

Are guys usually okay with marrying someone who is not their 'ideal'? In other words, are guys okay with marrying just about any woman for the sake of comfort and avoiding loneliness?

I sometimes have conversations about marriage with guys, and it seems like the answer is about marrying a woman, and that's about it.

No guy is going to be able to answer this for "guys" as if we were all the same, Jupiter.

The conversations you are having with guys probably doesn't reflect the larger spectrum of how one guy chooses one girl over another.

Speaking for myself, there are definitely "types" of women that I couldn't marry. That's another subject though.

Side note: You may as well identify as female - as your posts largely indicate that you are probably one.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No guy is going to be able to answer this for "guys" as if we were all the same, Jupiter.

The conversations you are having with guys probably doesn't reflect the larger spectrum of how one guy chooses one girl over another.

Speaking for myself, there are definitely "types" of women that I couldn't marry. That's another subject though.

Side note: You may as well identify as female - as your posts largely indicate that you are probably one.

Everyone -at least, most members here- know that I am female :cool:

But so as long as she's not those "types," would you marry her?

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,008,102.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think it depends on the individual, and how ok he is with being a bachelor. The more frustrated and lonely a guy is, the more likely he is to abandon his idea of what the right girl might be.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You're only proving the point of my question here.

I thought you posted your question in good faith--as if you were really interested. Since you have no intention of your question being a fair question, perhaps you could explain the "POINT" of your question. I might comment on your real intention.

(walks away feeling offended)

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it depends on the individual, and how ok he is with being a bachelor. The more frustrated and lonely a guy is, the more likely he is to abandon his idea of what the right girl might be.

This makes sense to me. I think that it can go the same way for girls too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaedraSun

A Refraction of Light
Sep 24, 2014
✟999.00
Faith
Other Religion
But so as long as she's not those "types," would you marry her?

Not necessarily. I think a lot more comes into the question of making that commitment than having a typological preference (that is to say, avoidance of what perceives as negative typology to them) and also being lonely making any given female falling into the former insta-marriageable.

For me personally, I don't even date right now because I'm not working. I had a female friend ask me recently why I'm not seeing anyone and the simple answer was "I'm not working".

You seem to be asking the question as if there's a universal answer that can be applied to all (or most) guys in any given circumstance. I think any answer to that is going to come up short.

Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As with anything, I can only answer for myself. No, I could not marry "any" woman. There are a specific set of traits I am looking for. Im 46, 47 in a couple of weeks, and have never been married. Im not grotesque in appearance and have a nice personality in rl.

So, what does that tell you?

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought you posted your question in good faith--as if you were really interested. Since you have no intention of your question being a fair question, perhaps you could explain the "POINT" of your question. I might comment on you real intention.

(walks away feeling offended)

Clear as mud post.

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Up to a point - studies show that the likelihood of bachelors marrying significantly declines after the age of 40. Given this, I would say that older men seem to hold on to the "ideal" rather than settle for just any female that walks by. But, once again, age counts in this scenario.

I think a younger man might be more likely to settle than a man beyond his late 30s.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

Lord Of The Forest

I reckon it depends on what the ideal is in the first place. If a man (hopefully because of his employment) cannot cook, do housework, and is lonely, then his ideal might be an amiable and capable woman for domestic services, companionship, and a bedfellow.

Honestly, intimate (as in close, not sexual per se) companionship is the main thing that attracts me about marriage, but if I were to marry for companionship, my ideal would be someone who shares many of my interests. But then again, that would be a prerequisite to any marriage of mine, I should think.

I wouldn't marry just any woman (even if we had common interests), if that's what you're asking.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not necessarily. I think a lot more comes into the question of making that commitment than having a typological preference (that is to say, avoidance of what perceives as negative typology to them) and also being lonely making any given female falling into the former insta-marriageable.

For me personally, I don't even date right now because I'm not working. I had a female friend ask me recently why I'm not seeing anyone and the simple answer was "I'm not working".

You seem to be asking the question as if there's a universal answer that can be applied to all (or most) guys in any given circumstance. I think any answer to that is going to come up short.

I'm not looking for a universal answer. I want to know what other people think about this question.

As with anything, I can only answer for myself. No, I could not marry "any" woman. There are a specific set of traits I am looking for. Im 46, 47 in a couple of weeks, and have never been married. Im not grotesque in appearance and have a nice personality in rl.

So, what does that tell you?

That you're high maintanence.

I'm joking, btw.

Reactions: Neve
Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would start with the problem of thinking all men are alike. Take a moment. Are you like every woman you've ever met? Are you like the majority of women you've met?

And speaking on behalf of my limited experience of men, some insist on the ideal and some do not. Those wanting an ideal end up being single. I cannot recall any man wanting to marry to avoid discomfort or loneliness. Then again, since I recall my own temptation, I would think others might have that temptation and give in.

as for my other silly comments, yes I did try to get to know you. But my interest was friendly and to the point about you being so creative. In other words, you were talking about meaning and purpose and direction in life and I found it fascinating and thought we might be cool friends. But no.

Reactions: Neve
Upvote 0

DaedraSun

A Refraction of Light
Sep 24, 2014
✟999.00
Faith
Other Religion
I'm not looking for a universal answer. I want to know what other people think about this question.

Ok, forgive me - your questions are often worded in such a way as if you can assume or expect a given answer, or at least one that is much more accepted than another (see bold)

Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That you're high maintanence.

I'm joking, btw.

LOL Actually, Im the Legendary "Nice Guy that Finished Last". One reason I havent been seriously looking in the last few years is that Ive about come to the conclusion that all the good women were taken and all thats left, at least in my area, are the dregs. (only half joking).

Upvote 0